Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2002, 03:25 PM   #61
Chica Azul
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chica Azul
Quote:
Originally posted by SHinOK
divided the mixture into soup mugs and put them all into a water bath in a casserole dish to cook. Not a crack in sight!! It was perfect--and absolutely divine! Better than ANY restaurant cheesecake I've ever eaten (IMHO)...utterly delicious.

Had it for breakfast four days in a row and felt SO decadent! YUM!
Thanks for the great suggestion! I'm a broke college student without a springform pan, but I have lots of coffee mugs.
Chica Azul is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2002, 08:59 AM   #62
SHinOK
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Hey Nancy, I just now got to check this thread and saw your request. How did I do the fat fast? Pretty much by the DANDR rules, but I did a MODIFIED version of it.

I made a half-recipe of the cheesecake (basic, not flavored) using davinci vanilla in place of splenda to keep the carbs lower. I ate 5 smallish "meals" each day. Four were some combination of cheesecake and/or bacon (two things I LOVE!). Half a recipe gave me enough cheesecake to have for two days' worth of small meals (baked it in four soup mugs; ate half a mug per meal). Ate bacon for other meals or maybe one strip along w/cheesecake. I modified it by allowing myself "real" dinner--baked chicken with skin and a LC veggie with lots of butter (or salad w/plenty of dressing).

Three days of it and I never got hungry. And I never got tired of eating those things! I'm sure I probably went over the 1,000-1,200 calories prescribed in the book, but I didn't think that was a huge issue.

If you want more info, there is a thread on the challenge board called the "80 percent challenge" or something like that. Everyone there uses the fat fast regularly, and they have lots of other menu ideas (check last week's thread for a huge list of options--cheesecake is just one).

But, hey, Dr. Atkins says that cream cheese is the "perfect food" for a fat fast, and what is Beachgirl's cheesecake (mostly) besides cream cheese??? And practically perfect, to boot?
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:25 AM   #63
Linda95926
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda95926
Stats: 280/261/255 First Goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart May 16, 2006
I made my first BG basic cheesecake yesterday. It tasted great, too great in fact. But it seemed a little dry, did I over cook it or what? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-15-2002, 05:41 AM   #64
FurkidsMom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FurkidsMom
Super Yummy!!

[COLOR=royalblue]My first Beachgirl's cheescake came out WONDERFUL!! I made the Mocha swirl one. The only thing I didn't do was swirl it enough so the chocolate was not swirly through. I am going to do the Pumpkin White chocolate one for Thanksgiving. I am thinking of using the Pure Delight White Chocolate instead of the regular to save carbs. Wish me luck!!
Sharon
[/COLOR]
Old 11-26-2002, 03:57 PM   #65
FurkidsMom
Junior LCF Member

white chocolate pumpkin cheesecake

[COLOR=royalblue]I put this into mastercook and got a 2.9/serving carb count. (I left out the white chocoate squares 'cause I am going to use Pure Delite white chocoate, so I know to add a couple carbs for the total amount) The recipe in the RR says 12 carbs per serving. Should that be per recipe??? Is fiber already subtracted?????
Thanks - this is my Thanksgiving dessert.[/COLOR]

Last edited by FurkidsMom; 11-26-2002 at 03:59 PM..
FurkidsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 07:39 PM   #66
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Sorry, but it is 12 grams per serving.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 12:57 AM   #67
FurkidsMom
Junior LCF Member

[COLOR=royalblue]Oops...forgot to mention that I used 1 cup DaVinci instead of the splenda too. [/COLOR]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:24 AM   #68
FurkidsMom
Junior LCF Member

Carb Count Mocha Swirl

[COLOR=royalblue]I put the ingredients for the Mocha Swirl Cheese cake using 1 cup DaVinci syrup instead of the Splenda and Pure DeLite chocolate bars (2-1/3 bars) instead of the regular chocolate and got the following for the total recipe:
43 g. Carbs, 4 g Fiber, 116 g Protein, 408 g. Fat
I cut mine into 12 servings, so that equals 3.58 carbs/slice - a little higher than MasterCook said, but I didn't have the carbs for the chocolate bars in MasterCook. By the way, this is with an extra ounce of cream cheese since ****** wouldn't let me put in ounces, I used 11 3oz packages as my amount
[/COLOR]
Old 12-27-2002, 11:42 AM   #69
SHinOK
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Just confessing a BIG mistake I made with my Christmas cheesecake.......accidentally left the oven set on 200 ALL NIGHT LONG instead of turning it off!!! I thought it was "cooling" overnight, but NO! So, the cheesecake baked for about 10 hours before I discovered my mistake!

Well, lo and behold, it was still wonderful! I served it to my non-LC company (along with splenda-sweetened cherry pie filling as topping and splenda-sweetened whipped cream), and they snarfed it up! It was a little bit drier than usual, but it was still great.

Just thought you might like to know that it's pretty hard to mess it up!
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:32 AM   #70
glasskat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: glasskat
Stats: 178.6/160/140
WOE: Atkins Induction/VLC
Start Date: July 2002/Restart May 2009
I made Beachgirl's PB Cheesecake a couple of days ago and served it to my family last night. They absolutely loved it!

One modification I made that worked very, very well. For my crust, I used

1 stick butter melted together with 1 square (1 oz) unsweetened baking chocolate. When those two items were melted, I added 1 cup of Carbolite chocolate shake mix along with 3 T DaVinci Syrup. I "patted" this concoction into the bottom of my springform pan and refrigerated it while I made the top.

My "crust" was sort of candy-bar like and everyone loved it!
Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #71
terrif
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terrif
Blueberry Cheesecale ala Beachgirl!

OHMYGOSH! Beachgirl: THANK YOU! If this is low-carbing, my future looks bright! I am so thrilled with this blueberry cheesecake! Nobody guessed it was L/C, the LOOOOOVED IT!

Thanks for all your tips on cheesecake handling; I had a bit of cracking, but not bad for my first try. CANNOT WAIT to try the other flavors.

How does the cheesecake freeze? I'd like to save a slice or two for emergencies.

THANK YOU!

-terrif
Old 02-02-2003, 07:29 AM   #72
chare17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chare17
Stats: 230/199/160
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/20/03
My verdict is in

I took the cheesecake out of the oven this morning after it had cooled all night. Unfortunately I had a leak so the bottom was a bit soggy. It was good, but I have a bitter aftertaste in my mouth from it that I can't wash down with milk. I'm chilling it in the refrigerator right now & may try a bite later to see how it tastes cold. THEN I will be giving it away to whoever wants it ('cuz I just may eat it all).

Thanks Beachgirl.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:17 AM   #73
superslim
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: superslim
Help!

I made a half recipe: sweetened with DaVinci banana syrup and a teaspoon of banana flavor instead of Splenda and vanilla. I made exactly a half recipe, in a pie plate. I baked it in the water bath, half hour at 300 and half hour at 200....cooled it, put in fridge...it was beautiful, no cracks. Delicious flavor--but the texture was dry and grainy. Any suggestions?
superslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #74
Island-mama
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Island-mama
I made the pb cheesecake using Da Vinci's sf caramel syrup and almond butter minus the chocolate. It was delicious. Does anyone have the nutritional value for this with the carb counts???

Starting Over 195.2
Island-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:08 PM   #75
TheIslandGirl

Gallery: TheIslandGirl
Quote:
Originally posted by Island-mama
I made the pb cheesecake using Da Vinci's sf caramel syrup and almond butter minus the chocolate. It was delicious. Does anyone have the nutritional value for this with the carb counts???
Hi, Island-mama.

All recipes' carb counts are the Total Carbs for all the Ingredients (in portions used in the recipe) minus the fiber grams, all divided by the number of servings actually used/cut up into. This is even MORE so if you change the ingredients, such as PB into AB...

Do you have a good carb counter book, like Corinne Netzer's Encyclopedia of Food Counts (paperback) or use ****** (free, online)? These are essential tools for low carbers.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:21 AM   #76
sannr
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sannr
Stats: Last time: 266/230/150; This time: 265/255/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Every day
I made a White Chocolate Raspberry variation of the pb cup recipe for Easter dinner yesterday -- everyone loved it!!!!

I used Davinci's White Chocolate sf syrup instead of Splenda. I used maybe a cup of frozen raspberries, sweetened them with splenda, and added to about 1 cup of the cheesecake mixture.

I started with a macadamia nut crust (2 c ground nuts, 1/4 butter, 1/4 c splenda -- baked for 10mins at 350), then 1/2 the white chocolate mixture, then the raspberry mixture, then the rest of the white chocolate.

Served it with a pureed raspberry sauce -- YUMMY!!!! And my entire family (none of them low-carbers) loved it and ate it all up!

Thanks, Beachgirl!

265 260 255 250 245 240 235 230 225 220 215 210 205 200 195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150
sannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:38 PM   #77
Ywen
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ywen
Thank you, Beachgirl!

I made the plain cheesecake and put blueberries on top.
Umm, Umm, Umm. Yummy.
Now I know why you have to freeze the rest.

Yvonne
Old 04-29-2003, 09:27 PM   #78
superslim
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: superslim
The White Chocolate Raspberry

Oh my gosh Shelley. I'm going to have to try your variation. The white chocolate raspberry cheesecake was my favorite at the Cheesecake Factory! YUM
Reinducting 5/19/03--no cheating!

http://www.pinecrestdesigns.com/star/1.jpg
superslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:54 AM   #79
AnnieM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnieM
Stats: 292/155/150ish
WOE: lower carbs, smaller portions, prayer!
Start Date: 10/22/07
Beachgirl...YOU DID GOOD!

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST CHEESECAKES I'VE EATEN....and I have to say I've made several of these gems.

THANK YOU GIRLFRIEND!!!

AnnieM...

Look who's here!

*Never give up, NEVER!
AnnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #80
Lesley07
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lesley07
beachgirl,

yesterday was my BDay. I have made many of your cheese cakes and have loved them all. My sister can not bake so she bought me a LC cheese cake from a bakery. ($22 my I add) The ones that I have made were way better. Thanks for the wonderful recipe and the great cheesecake tips.

Lesley
....Jimmy Buffett
Lesley07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:14 AM   #81
MusicMom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MusicMom
strawberry variation

I made this one for dessert after our barbecue today:

I made beachgirl's basic cheesecake but before pouring the batter into the pan, I removed a cup or so to a separate bowl and added about 1/2 cup of Smuckers SF Strawberry Preserves. Then I poured about 1/2 of the regular batter into the pan, spooned about 1/2 of the strawberry batter on top, then the rest of the regular batter, then spooned the rest of the strawberry batter on top. Then I used a knife to cut through the batter to create a marbled effect. Then cooked as usual. This adds about 40 carbs to the recipe total & makes a really pretty looking cheesecake!

Haven't eaten it yet, but the batter was REALLY GOOD!!
143/118/115
MusicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:24 AM   #82
barnesj

Gallery: barnesj
Made the coconut cheesecake and it was delicious! I followed directions and it turned out great. Took it to a cookout and it was enjoyed by all. Question though, has anyone made it with DaVinci's coconut syrup instead of the vanilla? I just got a new bottle and wondered if it would intensify the coconut flavor. But, it was excellent anyway!!! Thanks Beachgirl!Judy
Old 05-27-2003, 09:32 PM   #83
sannr
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sannr
Stats: Last time: 266/230/150; This time: 265/255/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Every day
Yes, barnesj, I've used the coconut davinci instead of vanilla for the coconut cheesecake -- it worked great!! Really good coconut flavor.

265 260 255 250 245 240 235 230 225 220 215 210 205 200 195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150
sannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #84
terri in nv
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terri in nv
I just made this cheesecake on Monday only with the DaVinci's I had on hand..... ended up using 3/4 french vanilla and 1/4 butter rum syrups. OMG!!! YUMMMMM!
terri in nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #85
cbrown4455
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cbrown4455
Eggy Taste

Ok, everyone was raving about these cheesecakes. So I made Beachgirls blueberry one.

It was OK, but seems to be very eggy (to much egg taste) tasting.

Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong? I used 4 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk.

Someone posted that you let the eggs get to room temperature??
Any one find that this helps?

Don't get me wrong. I did not hate this recipe, but I would hardly say I loved it! And I really want to love it!

Thanks for your help.

cb
cbrown4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:59 AM   #86
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

cb - for best results, ALL of your ingredients should be at room temperature. It really does help - I think you would be shocked at the difference.

Some of the basics when making cheesecakes that should not be ignored:

1. All ingredients must be at room temperature.
2. Beat your cream cheese until it is perfectly smooth before adding anything to it.
3. Add your sweetener to the cheese slowly.
4. Add your eggs one at a time, beating only enough to blend the ingredients completely. Do NOT OVERbeat!
5. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl after each addition.
6. Bake the cheesecake in a water bath.

I know that many people choose to skip the water bath, but the water bath truly helps to cook the cheesecake more evenly. It prevents it from drying out as it bakes, helps to prevent cracks, and over-browning. You will find that you get a consistently better end result.

Auntie

[/color]

Old 06-02-2003, 06:05 AM   #87
JazzyV
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 258.65/222.8/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
cb - I will add to Auntie3's suggestions and say to let it cool completely in the oven, then refrigerate for several hours, before tasting. Many are so anxious to taste it, that they eat some as soon as it's cool. It won't taste eggy if you refrigerate it for a while. I usually make one in the early evening, let it cool overnight in the oven, then put it in the fridge in the morning, and sample that next evening.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 08:38 AM   #88
cbrown4455
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cbrown4455
Thanks

Thanks for the hints.

I did notice that it had more of a real "cheesecake" taste after being in the frig all night.

cb
cbrown4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:56 PM   #89
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Here are a few pointers that explain the importance of the water bath, wrinkling tops, and using foil:

The purpose of the water bath is to insulate the delicate cheesecake from the direct onslaught of heat. This enables the cheesecake to cook more evenly, so that it doesn't dry out around the edges before the center is completely cooked. I know that cheesecake turns out fine without it for some people - but I find that I prefer the consistent creaminess that the water bath provides. It is important that the water bath comes at least half way up the side of the pan your cheesecake is in.

The foil acts as a heat barrier, too, but also as a heat conductor! The density of the foil protects the delicate cheesecake, and also provides a uniform distribution of heat - many pans have "hot spots" which can cause uneven cooking, and the foil helps to smooth out the distribution of the heat. It helps to slow down the browning of the cheesecake around the edges. You may have noticed that the cheesecakes you get in fine restaurants are not browned anywhere! One of Beachgirl's hints is to place the cheesecake on the middle rack of the oven, and place a sheet of foil on the upper rack to prevent browning of the top. When wrapping your pan with foil, you want to make sure that you use heavy duty foil wrap. Bring it up tightly around the sides of the pan, but not over the top. Crimp the foil as tightly together as you can to prevent water seepage.

As far as the "not cooked in the middle" part, well, that is pretty much expected. A cheesecake will be "jiggly" in the middle until it has completely cooled and set. Remember that the heat from the oven has melted the cheese - it needs time to set up before it is solid. Leaving it in the oven to cool helps to reduce the shock of the cooling process. If it is cooled too quickly, the texture will become grainy. Although it is still delicious, the texture will suffer. Heat causes expansion. As the cheesecake cools, the air spaces deflate, or contract, and this can sometimes cause "wrinkling" on the top of the cheesecake. One way to help prevent this is to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake as soon as it is finished baking. This separates it from the side of the pan, and allows it to drop naturally and uniformly, and will also help prevent any cracking from the "fall".

Another factor could be the age of the cheese itself. Fresher cheese has more moisture in it, and this could contribute in part to the wrinkling top. When I make a cheesecake, I make sure that I use cheese that has ripened in my fridge for sometime - the closer to the expiry date, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I also try to make sure that I let it sit out on the counter for at least 3 hours before I even begin.

Auntie

[/color]

Old 06-08-2003, 06:55 AM   #90
nessyrae
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nessyrae
Stats: 299/248/???
I made a half of a recipe in a pie plate using sf vanilla davinci and baked for 30 min at 300 and 30 min at 200, is wonderful!
nessyrae is offline   Reply With Quote