Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #61
Gabby1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/194/170 5'8" 51yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012, 3/30/2015, 9/17/2016, 8/20/2017
I just made cinnamon rolls using Carolyn Ketchum's new cookbook, Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen. She uses a sweetened version of the fathead dough. They are insanely rich and satisfying.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #62
lfshelton
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lfshelton
Stats: Goal is 135 (5'3" & 45 yrs)
WOE: LC
Start Date: September, 2014
Smoked Sausage in a Blanket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I've made these a couple of times and they're very good. I used a slightly different dough that's made with pork rinds and coconut flour instead of almond flour. They're best hot from the oven but they reheat pretty well in a toaster oven.

SMOKED SAUSAGE IN A BLANKET
5 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup butter, cut up
1/4 cup ground pork rinds (18 grams)
2 tablespoons coconut flour (17 grams)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 egg
14 ounce package smoked sausage links with cheese *

* I used Johnsonville "Beddar Cheddar" smoked sausage links and there are six per package. Each sausage link has 2 carbs.

In an 8-cup measuring cup, or large microwaveable bowl, heat the cheese and butter 1 minute on HIGH. Stir well and cook another 30 seconds if cheese and butter haven't completely melted. With a wooden spoon, stir in the pork rinds, coconut flour, garlic powder and onion powder. Blend well until the mixture resembles bread dough. Add the egg and stir in well. If the mixture is too stiff, microwave 30 seconds until soft and pliable.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on your counter. With wet hands, pat and push the dough into a rough rectangle about 8x11 inches on the parchment paper that's on the counter. Cut the dough into six equal pieces with a knife or pizza wheel. Place one of the sausage links diagonally in the center of a piece of dough. Fold the outside corners of the dough up and over the sausage and press to seal. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining sausages.

Bake at 375º for about 15-20 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. They may get a little dark on the bottoms but they won't taste burnt. I recommend rotating the baking sheet once or twice during the baking. Serve at once.

Makes 6 servings

Per Serving: 386 Calories; 33g Fat; 17g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This looks absolutely divine and I will be trying - question...does it have the coconut-y flour taste???

Thanks!
lfshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #63
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
No, there's not enough coconut flour in it to taste it. They are best fresh from the oven but they can be reheated. To reheat them, I microwave them briefly to start getting the sausage hot then finish them in the toaster oven. Otherwise I think the "bread" would get dark in the toaster oven before the meat is hot enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfshelton View Post
This looks absolutely divine and I will be trying - question...does it have the coconut-y flour taste???

Thanks!
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #64
lfshelton
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lfshelton
Stats: Goal is 135 (5'3" & 45 yrs)
WOE: LC
Start Date: September, 2014
Thanks, LindaSue!
lfshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #65
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
[QUOTE=LindaSue;17646120]I've made these a couple of times and they're very good. I used a slightly different dough that's made with pork rinds and coconut flour instead of almond flour. They're best hot from the oven but they reheat pretty well in a toaster oven. QUOTE]

Linda, these really do look good and I'm anxious to try it. Do think this recipe would work for pizza as well as the almond flour one? I've tried it and wasn't as thrilled with it as others seem to be. There are so many variations out there that look better than just almond flour, but I'm not sure which would work best for pizza.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #66
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post

Linda, these really do look good and I'm anxious to try it. Do think this recipe would work for pizza as well as the almond flour one? I've tried it and wasn't as thrilled with it as others seem to be. There are so many variations out there that look better than just almond flour, but I'm not sure which would work best for pizza.
I don't think I have tried that dough for pizza but it seems to have about the same consistency as the one with almond flour. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #67
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
First time making this today. My daughter and I both loved it. Toppings were steak, cheese and sauce. We ate the whole pizza!!!!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #68
Dixie Barkley
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Marking my spot
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #69
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
Love all the variations. Will try in the future. Philly style fat head pizza for dinner tonight. Crust already prepared.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #70
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
If this has been said sorry. Somebody told me to melt cheese then put everything else in a food processor to mix everything. I have found it's awesome and so much easier.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #71
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
If this has been said sorry. Somebody told me to melt cheese then put everything else in a food processor to mix everything. I have found it's awesome and so much easier.
Wow! this could be a game changer. Handling that hot cheese is hard. Is there a brand with less sodium? The mozzarella from Aldi's is so salty
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #72
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I use a food processor to blend it. I add baking powder too to make it more bread like. I put the dry ingredients in the processor and blend them. Then break the egg on one side of the blade and pour the cheese on the other side. The, pulse till blended. Really fast and easy. I made hot dog buns with the dough today. Really filling.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #73
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JimM
Stats: 273/202/195
WOE: low carb (<60/day)
Start Date: 1/2014
We made this crust (in a food processor) and I'd rate it as OK. The texture was on the dry side and I think the culprit is the coconut flour. Measuring by volume is too tricky for an ingredient like CF that can absorb so much liquid -- a recipe with weight would be better IMO.

I added a packet of instant yeast along with a teaspoon of honey to see if it would add a layer of flavor, but after baking the yeast aroma was gone.

Last edited by JimM; 02-08-2018 at 07:30 AM..
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #74
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
We made this crust (in a food processor) and I'd rate it as OK. The texture was on the dry side and I think the culprit is the coconut flour. Measuring by volume is too tricky for an ingredient like CF that can absorb so much liquid -- a recipe with weight would be better IMO.

I added a packet of instant yeast along with a teaspoon of honey to see if it would add a layer of flavor, but after baking the yeast aroma was gone.
Jim, thanks for your post! I was beginning to think I was the only one here who finds Fathead dough to be aggressively "meh." I was excited to try it, since most people seem to love it. I've tried it in pizza and pigs-in-a-blanket, and was completely underwhelmed.

The yeast must be allowed to undergo the fermentation process (i.e. rise) in order to give that smell/taste our brains identify as a yeast product after baking. During fermentation, the yeast consumes starch/sugar molecules and gives off a distinct by-product. If that doesn't occur, then the heat quickly kills off the yeast, and, like you discovered, no discernible yeast flavor results. That's because it's not so much the actual yeast we smell and taste in breads, it's the by-product of fermentation. But you had a good, logical theory, and kudos for trying it out.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #75
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Jim, thanks for your post! I was beginning to think I was the only one here who finds Fathead dough to be aggressively "meh." I was excited to try it, since most people seem to love it. I've tried it in pizza and pigs-in-a-blanket, and was completely underwhelmed.

The yeast must be allowed to undergo the fermentation process (i.e. rise) in order to give that smell/taste our brains identify as a yeast product after baking. During fermentation, the yeast consumes starch/sugar molecules and gives off a distinct by-product. If that doesn't occur, then the heat quickly kills off the yeast, and, like you discovered, no discernible yeast flavor results. That's because it's not so much the actual yeast we smell and taste in breads, it's the by-product of fermentation. But you had a good, logical theory, and kudos for trying it out.
I should have mentioned it -- the yeast that we used in the fat head crust was the "instant" type that supposedly requires no proofing. The dough did sit on the pan for about ten minutes before it went into the 425F oven. I agree that a good sourdough starter or "real" yeast might give more flavor. The low carb bread we buy (gave up trying to make our own) has yeast of some kind added for flavor.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #76
Dixie Barkley
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I should have mentioned it -- the yeast that we used in the fat head crust was the "instant" type that supposedly requires no proofing. The dough did sit on the pan for about ten minutes before it went into the 425F oven. I agree that a good sourdough starter or "real" yeast might give more flavor. The low carb bread we buy (gave up trying to make our own) has yeast of some kind added for flavor.
I would like to know what brand of low carb bread you use. I am thinking about going back to a low carb diet. Thanking you in advance for your reply.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #77
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Barkley View Post
I would like to know what brand of low carb bread you use. I am thinking about going back to a low carb diet. Thanking you in advance for your reply.
A bit OT here, but to answer your question:

As far as breads go, we've bought both the "Love the Taste" brand from Linda's Diet Delights, and the line of products from the Great Low Carb Bread Co. They offer very similar products and both have a variety of sliced breads, bagels, and buns. Our favorites are the sesame and pumpernickel breads, and the everything bagels. The breads have 1 gram of net carbs per slice and the bagels and buns have two. I'm not a fan of the hot dog buns as buns, but they can be cubed to make super croutons and even low-carb stuffing!

These products are shipped frozen, and after we moved GLCBC is now closer to us (two days by FedEx ground) so we usually buy from them. IMO the best way to buy is to get a large order (free shipping!) and then put the loaves in a chest freezer where they keep for up to six months. I usually take the loaves out of their shipping bags when the order arrives, wrap again in plastic, and put them back in the original bags before freezing. This double-wrap really cuts down on freezer burn, and since the loaves cost $8 nowadays, it's worth it.

Last edited by JimM; 02-08-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #78
Dixie Barkley
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A bit OT here, but to answer your question:

As far as breads go, we've bought both the "Love the Taste" brand from Linda's Diet Delights, and the line of products from the Great Low Carb Bread Co. They offer very similar products and both have a variety of sliced breads, bagels, and buns. Our favorites are the sesame and pumpernickel breads, and the everything bagels. The breads have 1 gram of net carbs per slice and the bagels and buns have two. I'm not a fan of the hot dog buns as buns, but they can be cubed to make super croutons and even low-carb stuffing!

These products are shipped frozen, and after we moved GLCBC is now closer to us (two days by FedEx ground) so we usually buy from them. IMO the best way to buy is to get a large order (free shipping!) and then put the loaves in a chest freezer where they keep for up to six months. I usually take the loaves out of their shipping bags when the order arrives, wrap again in plastic, and put them back in the original bags before freezing. This double-wrap really cuts down on freezer burn, and since the loaves cost $8 nowadays, it's worth it.
Thanks for such a quick and detailed answer! I will give both companies a "look see". The $8 per loaf is a little steep for a retired person such as myself.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #79
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Quote:
Just to clarify, the "proofing" that instant yeast doesn't require is the initial step of activating with the combination of sugar and water added to it, also referred to as "proving." It does not refer to the step where the finished dough is left for awhile to ferment, although that can also be called proofing, as well, hence the confusion.

A 10 minute rest is not nearly long enough to develop fermentation of a yeasted dough. That is why you experienced none of that familiar, discernible flavor that we associate with baked, risen doughs. Yeast used solely for flavoring is often in the form of a small amount of poolish (or biga) which has been extensively fermented, thereby giving it a dense concentration of yeast spores. A little gives a nice flavor boost.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:01 AM   #80
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Barkley View Post
Thanks for such a quick and detailed answer! I will give both companies a "look see". The $8 per loaf is a little steep for a retired person such as myself.
Yes, that $8 price is about double compared to what we pay for good "regular" bread with no fillers or extenders. The way I look at it it's 50 cents a slice, a buck a sandwich -- not insignificant, but what's the going rate for a dialysis session?

We tried all the home-made LC bread recipes and never achieved any consistent results, and certainly nothing that came close the taste and texture of these ready made LC breads.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #81
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jshaf
Stats: 450/298/180
WOE: Keto combined with OMAD and extended fasting
Start Date: October 8th 2017
have made the fat head pizza a bunch of times and the first time I forgot the egg and it turned out great, the second time I put egg in it and didn't see a major difference. since then I make it with out the egg. I stopped making it about a month ago because I was having issues with a bit of constipation, lately I have been experimenting with Pysllium husk powder and I am going to add a little (8gms) to the mixture and test it out this week end. love fat head crust
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #82
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I just saw where someone took pie dough rolled it out into a layer and pressed it into ice cube trays. Filling each well with different things. For example, pepperoni, cheese, sauce and another layer of dough on top pressing down, sealing with egg white, flipping upside down and cutting each into a little ravioli topping each with egg whites and maybe sesame seeds or spices and baking them.

Do you think this dough would work? What a fun idea?
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 03-09-2018 at 10:49 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote