Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Eat Fat Get Thin
Start Date: June 2016
Sunny's Favorite Bread Recipe

The look and taste of this bread reminds me a lot of Roman Meal bread, an old time favorite from my past.

In my experimenting with various LC bread recipes, I took features from some of Kevinpa's later breads, as well as Gabi's World-Famous Bread recipe. I wanted to reduce the carbalose flavor in Kevin's recipe, and give Gabi's bread a better rise, and less spongey.

I tweaked Gabi's recipe to cut the carbs, and then replaced 1 C. of her flour mix with a cup of Kevin's Bread Flour Mix (from the first page of the Pita Bread Experiment thread). The result accomplished exactly what I wanted: good flavor, texture, and just under 2 Carbs per ounce.

The loaves are tall, soft but firm, slice well, and make good toast. Because it is soft, its easier to use an electric knife, and I then store it in the freezer. This also makes nice hamburger buns. I make 9 buns from a recipe, which makes a decent sized bun with 149 calories, and about 4 Carbs (when made with milk).

Kevin-Gabi "Hy-Bread"

1 C. Kevinpa’s bread flour mix - 110 Gms.

***Gabi Dry:
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. Baking powder
1 T. Splenda or equivalent (optional)
1/2 C. Gluten - 72 Gms.
1/8 C. Isopure Van.Whey
1/4 C. Oat fiber - 21 Gms.
3 T. Soy flour - 17 Gms.
2 T. Golden flax seed meal
2 T. Wheat bran
2 T. Wheat germ

***Wet
1 C. Warm liquid (100 - 110°)
1/2 t. Sugar
1 Pkg. Yeast - 7 Gms.
***Proof above, then add, and blend well:
3 T. Olive oil - 43 Gms.
1 Egg or Eggbeater
Whisk the dry mix well, then add the wet mix. Combine in KA until smooth, then knead with dough hook 10 - 12 minutes. (This makes a wonderful "silky" dough).
Form loaf or buns and let rise 60 - 90 minutes.
Bake at 375°, about 30 minutes, until golden brown. (Buns about 17 minutes).

The loaf pictured weighed just under 20 oz. when baked, with a total of 1,337 calories and 37 carbs, so per oz. = 70 calories, and 1.94 carbs. These stats are based on my using Westsoy Unsweetened Soy Milk (3. carbs), but you can use water. I like Isopure Vanilla whey - it is zero carbs - and I usually use Egg Beaters, instead of whole eggs.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That bread looks great.
Thank you for the recipe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Truly beautiful!

THAT is fabulous-looking bread! Congrats!

I used to make a sourdough bread with significantly reduced carbs. I used the various gluten products: vital, 800, etc. These products do give volume.

I'm now in the process of reviving an eight-year old sourdough starter that had been dehydrated and frozen. It's coming along slowly, but surely.

Not wanting to use any more gluten than absolutely necessary, I'm going to try some Einkorn along with our other gluten-free "flour" subs. The idea is to get taste, texture, and maybe a bit extra rise without so much wheat gluten. I may end up with a complete mess...

You are obviously an accomplished baker. Boy, do I wish we lived nearby so we could tinker together!

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I wish you lived closer to me, Sunny..

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn, you DO live close: we're both out in the middle of nowhere, right?

Ginny, no not that accomplished. It just occurred to me to try mixing these two recipes, and I was lucky the first batch was spot on! Hats off to Kevin and Gabi for figuring out the originals.

8 year old sourdough??? Let me know how that goes. I've never tried Einkorn, but just got a bag of Lupine that I'm hopeful about, esp. as a flour thickener, at 4 Cbs./cup., and perhaps a milder flavor than say, Soy.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #6
elainesmith
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
SOY FLOUR SUB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKsGirl View Post
The look and taste of this bread reminds me a lot of Roman Meal bread, an old time favorite from my past.

In my experimenting with various LC bread recipes, I took features from some of Kevinpa's later breads, as well as Gabi's World-Famous Bread recipe. I wanted to reduce the carbalose flavor in Kevin's recipe, and give Gabi's bread a better rise, and less spongey.

I tweaked Gabi's recipe to cut the carbs, and then replaced 1 C. of her flour mix with a cup of Kevin's Bread Flour Mix (from the first page of the Pita Bread Experiment thread). The result accomplished exactly what I wanted: good flavor, texture, and just under 2 Carbs per ounce.

The loaves are tall, soft but firm, slice well, and make good toast. Because it is soft, its easier to use an electric knife, and I then store it in the freezer. This also makes nice hamburger buns. I make 9 buns from a recipe, which makes a decent sized bun with 149 calories, and about 4 Carbs (when made with milk).

Kevin-Gabi "Hy-Bread"

1 C. Kevinpa’s bread flour mix - 110 Gms.

***Gabi Dry:
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. Baking powder
1 T. Splenda or equivalent (optional)
1/2 C. Gluten - 72 Gms.
1/8 C. Isopure Van.Whey
1/4 C. Oat fiber - 21 Gms.
3 T. Soy flour - 17 Gms.
2 T. Golden flax seed meal
2 T. Wheat bran
2 T. Wheat germ

***Wet
1 C. Warm liquid (100 - 110°)
1/2 t. Sugar
1 Pkg. Yeast - 7 Gms.
***Proof above, then add, and blend well:
3 T. Olive oil - 43 Gms.
1 Egg or Eggbeater
Whisk the dry mix well, then add the wet mix. Combine in KA until smooth, then knead with dough hook 10 - 12 minutes. (This makes a wonderful "silky" dough).
Form loaf or buns and let rise 60 - 90 minutes.
Bake at 375°, about 30 minutes, until golden brown. (Buns about 17 minutes).

The loaf pictured weighed just under 20 oz. when baked, with a total of 1,337 calories and 37 carbs, so per oz. = 70 calories, and 1.94 carbs. These stats are based on my using Westsoy Unsweetened Soy Milk (3. carbs), but you can use water. I like Isopure Vanilla whey - it is zero carbs - and I usually use Egg Beaters, instead of whole eggs.

This bread looks AMAZING!!!! I would llke to make this bread BUT I can't use soy products. What do you think I could sub for it? Thanks.
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
For 3 Tablespoons, I would just add that much additional Kevin's flour mix in its place.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Elaine, your question came at the right time: the last batch I made, I used 24 gms. of Lupine Flour instead of soy, and greatly improved the taste. I dislike the taste of soy flour and wouldn't think 3 T. would make much difference, but it did to me.

Okay, that said, I must admit that these pictures are what my first number of batches of this bread looked like, but in the last year, my loaves haven't been as lofty. I still like the taste and texture, but they're smaller. I'm thinking maybe my KevinPa bread mix ingredients have gotten old, so today I'm mixing up a new batch just arrived from Netrition, and report back.

Oh, yes, "CBs" is my shorthand for Carbs. Thank you for prompting me on PM, as I'm currently not very active here.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
elainesmith
Senior LCF Member

1/2 c gluten?

Is this the 8000? Or vital wheat gluten? Aren't they very much the same?

I can't believed how much I've learned about low carb cooking/baking over the years AND THERE'S STILL SOOO MUCH I DON'T UNDERSTAND/KNOW....but I'm not really a cook or baker...a girl just has to do what is necessary to eat w/o hurting all the time.

Low carbing has done that for me, so I am ever appreciative everyone's help.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
elainesmith
Senior LCF Member

sorry for the double post....can't figure out how to delete it.

Last edited by elainesmith; 02-07-2018 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Okay, I made another loaf, but not using all new ingredients. I hate to open a bag of ingredients when I already have one open! But in the interest of Science, I promise to do so, this weekend :^ ) That said, my most recent loaf rose fairly well, but not like in the pictures. The taste and texture are excellent; a firm texture like a whole grain bread, not spongy at all, but not soft or "holey", like in my pictures.

Elaine, I don't think gluten is anything like the "technical" wheat starches I get from Netrition, which are 5000, 8000 and "resistant wheat starch", apparently all important to the balance, but a mystery to me in terms of how they work. Sharon Wertz is expert re: bread...you might track down some of her posts and recipes, and she has a cookbook available on Amazon.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I sub 3/4 WPI 5000 /1/4 WPI 8000 for VWG. It is a lot lower in carbs, and, for me, has a better flavor. Wheat Protein Isolate is a blend of wheat proteins, including vital wheat gluten, but has other proteins as well. In addition, I add a teaspoon of baking powder to my yeast breads. It makes them give a little "kick" when they go into a hot oven to give a better rise.

The WPI 8000 gives a crustier, chewier "European" type crust. If you want a softer crust, use all WPI 5000.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Well, darn. I made a loaf opening new bags of Carbalose flour, WPI 5000, and gluten, which are the primary ingredients. Also increased the yeast from 7 - 9 grams. Though it rose better, when baking the loaf fell to the top of the pan; no muffin top.

I seem to have lost my mojo making this bread! That said, I'm still a big fan of the taste and texture and most commonly use it toasted with a smear of peanut butter, or jam, so the runty loaves don't matter. In the future I will increase the ingredients by 50%, to fill up the pan better.

Sharon, I use the KevinPa flour mixes with resistant wheat starch...I think he changed to resistant corn starch, later on. Which do you use? Reading the Netrition description, I couldn't see much difference, except for the much higher carb count in corn starch, so I've stayed with resistant wheat starch. Second question: do you think you get a better rise, replacing the vital wheat gluten, as you described above?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Manufacturers often change their formulations without so much as a "by your leave" so that could potentially be a reason why your breads are turning out differently these days!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #15
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Sunny, I use resistant wheat starch 75 from Netrition. I get the best rise using WPI instead of VWG, and I use a tablespoon of FRESH yeast. I keep my yeast in the freezer. I also add a teaspoon of baking powder to the dough. It gives a "kick" when it first goes into the oven of about an inch or so.

Last edited by sbwertz; 02-15-2018 at 05:57 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Char, I hadn't considered that! Why not?

Sharon, thanks for your input - I'll try a batch, switching out the vital wheat gluten. I don't freeze my yeast, but keep it in the frig, and always proof it, around 110°.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Sunny, this is a weird little thing, but I ran into it when I kept getting the same result as you with Sharon's bread recipe. No matter what I did, I couldn't come close to the beautiful, tall, rounded, golden tops in Sharon's pictures. It was so frustrating!

At that time, she hadn't specified a pan size. It just said to put the dough "in a bread pan." Standard, go-to bread pan size for me is a 9"x5". So after checking all my ingredients and proving my yeast, I determined everything was fine in that department.

That left no other possibility than pan size. The next time I baked I told in an 8-1/2"x4-1/2" pan, and voilŕ! Success. You wouldn't think something so minor could make such a big difference, but it sure did (Sharon even went back after my success and had the mods add in the smaller pan size to the recipe.)

Not sure what size your pan was the last few times, but if it was a standard 9"x5", try using the smaller pan, and maybe your mojo will be instantly back (and we'll be making a movie called "How Sunny Got Her Groove Back"!)

Here's hoping it's something this simple...