Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Cookiefiend
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cookiefiend
New to this Lifestyle, trying to find my way. Can you share your favorite?

My husband and I are trying to change the way we look at food overall. I am so overwhelmed by all the different blogs, etc. Everything I have tried has not been too good so far. I am spending a lot of money on products I am not really used to eating. Would you be willing to share the recipes that you love and are tried and true? Any category would be great, just things you love and go to again and again.

Thanks so much!
Cookiefiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
handbells
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
WOE: it's complicated
Start Date: today!
Are you strictly low carb, Cookiefiend?

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!" (journal)

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
handbells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Cookiefiend
Junior LCF Member

That is the goal!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
This would be a really good place to start:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=887612

Other than that, the best advice is to just read, read, and oh, did I forget to say READ this forum as much and as often as you can. Unlike a blog, which features posts of mainly one person, you get the advice, viewpoints, and recipes of countless seasoned low-carbers. Since everyone's taste varies greatly, no one can pinpoint exactly what will blow your socks off. Only you can do that.

From my personal point of reference, this is hands-down the best place to find excellent low carb recipes. Most every recipe I've tried is good, with a few "meh", but none that were awful or nasty. And I'm a pretty picky judge, as I'm a classically-trained chef.

LCF has expanded my culinary world exponentially. When I arrived, I could make a gorgeous pheasant galantine in aspic, produce the perfect Italian meringue buttercream, or a silken vichyssoise. But when it came to making a decent loaf of low carb bread, I was clueless. All of a sudden, I was a culinary stranger in a strange land. I had to learn to throw out a lot of prejudgments that were gleaned from decades of work in the kitchen. I was now officially a rookie. It was hard to grasp being a kindergartener among PhDs!

LCF has taught me the basics of both cooking and baking low carb successfully and that in turn gave me knowledge with which to evaluate a recipe and have a good idea before I make it of if it will work for our tastes. It also helped shape my expectations realistically, which is an often-overlooked component of adopting this lifestyle with long term success. It takes time, but it's certain that you will find it's time very well spent.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
Cookiefiend
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much. I will look all through that thread. Do you all have any favorites?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Another excellent website (aside from all the recipes here!) is Linda Sue's - just google search LindaSue Recipes and you'll find it. She has lots of info on her website and she rates each recipe she tries. Go to the one that has "recipes.html" at the end if you want to go straight to the LC recipes.

Have you gone through the Stickies threads at the top of this forum? Lots of great ideas there too!

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 02-05-2018 at 02:39 PM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
LeighLovesLC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeighLovesLC
Unfortunately, a big problem for most people is in the 4th sentence of your first post.

"Products". They will usually disappoint you as a replacement for high carb items. With the exception of a number of sugar-free items (Splenda, Torani syrups, 1 Carb Ketchup, beverages), you will rarely find commercially available products that are worth the money. A few things like Almond flour & ground flax seed have become so mainstream that most people don't even connect them with low carb.

Real food, simply and thoughtfully prepared is always going to be your best bet. Not relying on packaged convenience food is going to save you a lot of frustration. Because for the most part in the low carb world, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably sucks.

Treating a low-carb eating plan as your food plan FOR LIFE is good, and it sounds as if you have that mindset.

But also know that to be successful, you really have to own that. You can't just pretend, because your body will know. And it will not let you get away with anything! *LOL*

And honestly, my fave LC item is a huge, juicy burger with several slices of crispy bacon on top, then covered with melty cheese. It never lets me down!

Last edited by LeighLovesLC; 02-11-2018 at 03:38 PM..
LeighLovesLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
I completely agree with Leigh, and the other posters. I've been eating clean/low carb for 18 years - by that I mean, as unprocessed as possible. My meals are protein, fat and a vegetable. 4-5 ounces of meat, fish or chicken with a salad and/or vegetable. I count total carbs when I'm at the high end of my maintenance range (and I'm wanting to lose), and net carbs (subtracting out the fiber) to just maintain, usually at the low end of my range. In the past two years I've added more fat (in cooking and coconut oil in my coffee), more salad and incorporated intermittent fasting (from dinner to lunch the next day) and pretty much eliminated snacking. For snacks, if needed, I keep hard boiled eggs on hand. Everyone does their plan differently, but that's what I do.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
jdennysgirl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jdennysgirl
Some of my favorites are jalapeno poppers, chicken wings, sugar free jello with a little Redi Whip, steamed and buttered cauliflower and broccoli, baked chicken, steak, ribs, and salads with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. These are just a few right off the top of my head. There are so many natural foods we can eat, and I try and stay away from processed chemical laden foods most of the time. Good luck on your journey.
jdennysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
If you really are a cookie fiend, try these. 3 cookies are 2g carbs.

Thin Mint Cookies
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup erythritol
1/4 cup sugar free pancake syrup or sugar free honey
1 egg
2 1/4 cups Carbalose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp peppermint extract
12 oz sugar free chocolate chips
1/8 tsp peppermint oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Cream the butter, shortening, sweetener, syrup, and egg in a mixer until light and fluffy.

Sift together the dry ingredients. Add to the mixture in the mixer and mix until combined.

Form the dough into 3/4 inch balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Press the dough out into circles with the bottom of a glass with a piece of parchment on top of the dough to keep it from sticking to the glass. Press them THIN, about 1/8 inch. The cookies will be about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

Bake about 8 minutes.

When cool, dip each cookie in sugar free chocolate chips melted with the peppermint oil.

Makes 6 dozen cookies. 3 cookies = 2g carbs.

Tastes just like the Girl Scout version!

I package these up and freeze them in packages of 2 dozen. Otherwise I eat them all in a week LOL. That WILL blow your carb count.

Last edited by sbwertz; 02-11-2018 at 06:18 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
Cookiefiend
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much. Those look amazing.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Shrimp and cauliflower grits - one of my favorite LC recipes of all time. You can find lots of variations of this recipe online. I love it with smoked Gouda but you can use any kind of cheese or no cheese.
So quick and easy too. I keep Birds eye frozen cauliflower in the freezer so I don't have to make cauli rice from scratch and use instead of grating the cauliflower.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote