Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #31
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I need Larry's recipe .

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #32
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Since I promised to update here regarding my efforts to tinker with this, today I used 2/3 melted cocoa butter and 1/3 butter. It is definitely staying more solid out of the freezer, but still softer than I'd like at room temp. I think, however, I'm onto something. It's definitely way better. The next time, I'm going to use 100% cocoa butter and lose the butter altogether.

And I also replaced the erythritol/stevia combo with the new BochaSweet. Mixed bag results on this one.

Although it dissolves well from its granular form into baked goods, not so here. I made the mistake of not powdering it first. When I tasted it, and felt grittiness, I tried heating the mixture up in the microwave, then beating it vigorously with a spatula, which graduated to whipping the snots out of it with a wire whip. No love. It still ended up gritty. Worse yet, when I unmolded the bar, all of the crystals had fallen to the top of the bar, which was the part on the bottom of the mold. It looks like I coated the top of my bar with coarse sugar.

This was a learning experience, both with how to solidify the chocolate bar better, and with the properties of BochaSweet. Since it's such a new sweetener with very little user data within the confines of different applications, this is brand new, unexplored territory.

The good part, however, is that the sweetness is AWESOME!! Even with straight, dark chocolate and nothing to buffer it, the sweetness factor is spot-on. Best tasting (but most expensive, with cocoa butter - $20 a pound - and BochaSweet) chocolate bar I've ever made.

Long story short, I can definitively assert that when making an item that won't be baked, or when it isn't going into a very hot liquid like coffee or tea to help it dissolve, always powder BochaSweet first to obtain optimum texture.

The next time I make this using 100% cocoa butter I'll report if we can finally get a product that won't need to be stored in the fridge or freezer. We're so close to the perfect bar!
Old 10-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #33
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Version 3.0 differences as follows:

*Used 100% cocoa butter to replace the dairy butter
*Powdered the Bocha Sweet, which replaced 100% of the erythritol, used 5 drops liquid stevia

This was the most solid of the three tries. It held its shape well at room temperature, but was still just a little softer than I'd like it to be. You don't want to hold it in your hand for more than 20 seconds or so when it's at room temp. At this point, storing in the fridge (not the freezer, as before) will be sufficient. The taste was excellent with all cocoa butter.

Next time, I will run the coffee mill longer to powder the BochaSweet even finer. Although what I did represented a huge step forward in getting rid of the "crunchiness," I could still detect a very slightly graininess. Pretty sure that if I run it through the mill 30 seconds longer, that will become a non-issue.

Since the perfect LC chocolate bar is my holy grail, I'm going to keep trying until I get it right!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #34
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
You keep at it, girl. I am currently working on a low carb buttercrunch recipe. So far, 2 failures. But I do love eating my mistakes!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #35
purpleprincess
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: purpleprincess
Homemade Reese Cups, 2 Ingredients

2 cups chopped chocolate, semi-sweet

1 cup smooth peanut butter or sunbutter, melted in microwave to soften

1. Place chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of chocolate into each 2 3/4 inch round paper liner spreading to the edges. Spoon about 1 tablespoon slightly melted peanut butter over chocolate, carefully spreading to edges. Spoon another 2 tablespoons of melted chocolate over peanut butter, spreading gently to edges. Let harden completely.

2. Remove from paper liner and enjoy 🙂 Note: I found the round paper liners at Michaels in the cake decorating section.

Makes 8 to 10 peanut butter cups

source : Picky Plate
purpleprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
You keep at it, girl. I am currently working on a low carb buttercrunch recipe. So far, 2 failures. But I do love eating my mistakes!
Wooooo... buttercrunch! Keep us posted on your progress with that one, Soob!!! (Sure you don't need someone to help you taste test???)

BTW, we moved to FL from MA, where we lived for 20 years. Wonder if we were neighbors?!
Old 10-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #37
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
West Palm Beach here.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #38
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
West Palm Beach here.
NO WAY!

Maybe we were once neighbors in MA, but we are certainly neighbors now. Small world! Please PM me and I'll tell you how close we are.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #39
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Baricat, have you ever tried "white chocolate"? I bought some cocoa butter quite awhile bk to try that, as I love a sm. bit of white chocolate mixed w/ a lot of nuts, English walnuts being my fave. Have you tried this as in..........I want a fool proof recipe, lol. Joking to an extent but don't we all just love when someone here goes thru the mistakes and posts results. Great job on the choc. !!
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #40
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Hey, JJJ'sMom! No, I haven't tried making a white chocolate bar, but I HAVE used cocoa butter to make an easy, superb white chocolate mousse that makes an elegant dessert when topped with fresh raspberries or blueberries, and does double duty as a fat bomb. Have you seen the recipe on Carolyn Ketchum's blog? If not, be sure to check it out. It completely satisfies my white chocolate cravings.

Excellent white chocolate is tough to find when it uses sugar. I can only imagine what a challenge it would be using alternative sweeteners! Heck, I'm still working on regular chocolate.

And yes, I agree that the trial-and-error of others has helped me tremendously. So I'm trying to pay it forward here by sharing the results of my experiments. Heaven knows, if it helps others from the agony of having to throw their expensive ingredients down the disposer, its a great incentive to report my abject failures.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #41
elainesmith
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
Start Date: July 2010
any chocolate bar updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Version 3.0 differences as follows:

*Used 100% cocoa butter to replace the dairy butter
*Powdered the Bocha Sweet, which replaced 100% of the erythritol, used 5 drops liquid stevia

This was the most solid of the three tries. It held its shape well at room temperature, but was still just a little softer than I'd like it to be. You don't want to hold it in your hand for more than 20 seconds or so when it's at room temp. At this point, storing in the fridge (not the freezer, as before) will be sufficient. The taste was excellent with all cocoa butter.

Next time, I will run the coffee mill longer to powder the BochaSweet even finer. Although what I did represented a huge step forward in getting rid of the "crunchiness," I could still detect a very slightly graininess. Pretty sure that if I run it through the mill 30 seconds longer, that will become a non-issue.

Since the perfect LC chocolate bar is my holy grail, I'm going to keep trying until I get it right!
Baricat, have you had any success with a firmer chocolate bar?
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #42
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Just as the post you quoted said, elaine. It's acceptable, so long as you don't try to hold onto it for long. I store it in the fridge, and break off a segment at a time. You could easily break off as much as you're going to consume in a sitting, and put them on a plate until you eat them. In the fridge, it lasts at least two months. I still have part of a bar I made a bit before Thanksgiving, but forgot about it until I found it languishing on a lower shelf of the fridge this week. It's still excellent.

But if you want something that's as firm at room temperature as a normal, commercial chocolate bar, I haven't been able to replicate that. If I have any breakthroughs, I'll post on here. (But you can tell from the forgotten fridge bar, I don't eat it all that often.)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:39 AM   #43
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I used a recipe from Carolyn on alldayIdreamaboutfood for homemade chocolate chips, but I poured it into molds instead. They were a little gritty, but stayed hard at room temperature.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #44
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Interesting. I checked out her recipe, and saw that it uses all cocoa butter (and no dairy butter) to up the fat content, and no heavy cream, which imparts a smooth flavor. So she had the same idea that I did about using cocoa butter. The next time I try this, I will use 100% cocoa butter and no dairy butter. If anyone else does this, please let us know how it works.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #45
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Quote:
Interesting. I checked out her recipe, and saw that it uses all cocoa butter (and no dairy butter) to up the fat content, and no heavy cream, which imparts a smooth flavor. So she had the same idea that I did about using cocoa butter. The next time I try this, I will use 100% cocoa butter and no dairy butter. If anyone else does this, please let us know how it works.
They were very dark chocolate. At first I thought too much so, but they grow on you. My daughter thought the same, as I made her some for Christmas. I do think a little cream would be nice for a smoother chocolates and may be okay firmness wise, as these are very hard.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #46
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Excellent white chocolate is tough to find when it uses sugar. I can only imagine what a challenge it would be using alternative sweeteners! Heck, I'm still working on regular chocolate.
I just got some cocoa butter because I really love white chocolate. Most of the recipes I've seen, use Erythritol and don't seem to need a lot of sweetener. It might turn out to be easier to sweeten than dark chocolate and I have a feeling that maybe a combination using sucralose might not make it bitter like it does with regular chocolate.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:30 AM   #47
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Judy, cocoa butter really is a lot easier to sweeten, first, because it has a higher Ph than cocoa from the cocoa bean. Cocoa butter isn't chocolate at all. So you don't need to worry about sweetening it with sucralose. That works just fine.

An excellent recipe that uses it with superb white chocolate flavor is Carolyn Ketchum's white chocolate mousse. Such an indulgence! And now that I'm making it with BochaSweet, it's even better. Just know ahead of time that you'll have to powder the BochaSweet finely, because it doesn't get cooked in this recipe.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #48
elainesmith
Senior LCF Member

BARIKAT,
In one of Kevinpa's candy recipes, he used some oat fiber to help with the "melting in hand" problem. Have you tried adding some to your recipe? I don't have everything or I'd try it.
Elaine

Last edited by elainesmith; 01-30-2018 at 01:42 PM..
Old 01-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #49
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

No, elaine, I haven't tried that. Truth be told, with the astronomical expense of the BochaSweet, cocoa butter, and chocolate, it's not an experiment that I'm willing to take on. I love tinkering and experimenting, but only experiments where I'm pretty certain that I'm onto something before I start. In other words, the guesses I make are usually educated guesses. Not a fan of shots in the dark, at least not with my pricey designer ingredients.

It's difficult to take that leap of faith that introducing oat fiber won't adversely affect the smooth texture. For me, it's no hardship to store the bar in the fridge and take out pieces as needed (or desired!) Perhaps if I were bothered by its texture at room temperature the gamble would be worth it to me, but I rarely keep it hanging around out of the fridge. It's not like it melts into a puddle if it comes to room temperature. With the addition of cocoa butter, it holds its shape well. It's just not the same firmness at room temp as a Hershey bar, and that's perfectly OK with me. It's smooth and velvety, full-bodied chocolate, satisfies the cravings, and hey, I'm down with that.

But if you should decide to try the addition of oat fiber, please let us know how it works out!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #50
WonderBird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WonderBird
Can you guys recommend a really good cocoa butter for some of these white chocolate recipes being discussed?

I haven't tried this yet, but I just ordered a candy bar mold to give this from lowcarbyum a try:

4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate chopped
1 ounce food-grade cocoa butter
1 tablespoon whole milk powder
1 tablespoon powdered erythritol or Swerve Confectioners Powder
1/4 teaspoon stevia extract powder see note
1/2 teaspoon sugar-free vanilla extract

Combine chocolate and cocoa butter in a double boiler or chocolate melter. Heat until all the chocolate and cocoa butter is melted.
Add the powdered milk, powdered stevia, and powdered erythritol. Stir until all the powdered ingredients have dissolved and mixture is smooth. It may take a while to dissolve all the erythritol.
Mix in vanilla extract after removing from heat. Pour melted chocolate into candy bar mold.
Let cool in refrigerator or freezer. Once set, remove from mold. Store in covered container. Can also be stored in refrigerator or freezer, if desired.

Recipe Notes

Stevia can be increased in small amounts if a sweeter chocolate is desired. A small amount of monk fruit or stevia can be used in place of the erythritol if desired.

Makes 8 servings
Net Carbs per serving: 2.5 g
WonderBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:20 AM   #51
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I like Wild brand, available on Amazon. Nice, strong white chocolate flavor, that hits your nose the second you open the packaging!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #52
elainesmith
Senior LCF Member

OAT FIBER

I did try the oat fiber in the coconut oil cocoa candy recipe and it was just like all the other times I made it texture-wise BUT it did NOT melt in my hands!!!!!! It has no flavor of it's own so I couldn't taste it in the candy. WIN WIN.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #53
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesmith View Post
I did try the oat fiber in the coconut oil cocoa candy recipe and it was just like all the other times I made it texture-wise BUT it did NOT melt in my hands!!!!!! It has no flavor of it's own so I couldn't taste it in the candy. WIN WIN.
Elaine, this sounds promising. Which recipe did you use and how much oat fiber did you use in it?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #54
elainesmith
Senior LCF Member

You can hold this candy while eating it w/o it running all over your hands, put it in a plate to serve to guests or just lay on a napkin... BUT it will eventually melt BUT not before you eat it. My house is not too warm in the summertime it might be different

This is the recipe I used:

Kevinpa's coconut bark NON MELTING
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. cocoa
1/4 tsp of Stevia Liquid (NOW brand) and
1 tablespoon various Davinci syrups your choice, I used caramel
1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) of Oat Fiber 500 (6 grams of fiber, 0 net carbs and does not affect the flavor at all but keeps the bark from melting)
AND
I added several DROPS BUTTER BAKERY EMULSION to make it creamier tasting and about 20 drops of Capella Snik-Snak flavoring drops...tastes like a bought candy bar!!!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #55
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I used the silicon potholders and made chocolate chips this morning... How cool!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #56
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

It really is a cool idea, Sharon! It's some work, but when you figure that those bags of Lily's set you back $8, this is so much more economical. Good trade off, to me, anyway. Better tasting, too! And those little hexie shapes are just cute as bug's ear.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #57
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I have been buying sugar free dark chocolate wafers at Winco in their bulk foods section. I usually chop them in my bounce chopper, but these are just so cute! Not that hard...just melted the wafers and poured them on to the honycomb mold. Used a scraper to spread the melted chocolate level. Popped them in the freezer and they were ready to unmold in fifteen minutes. I bought two of the potholders at the 99 cent store.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #58
WonderBird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WonderBird
Do any of you add puffed rice cereal or anything like that for some flavor variety? I love Hershey's Krackel and other candy bar flavors. Of course with rice cereal you'd have to be mindful of how much is adding too many carbs, but nuts and other add-ins would be nice too. Cranberries in white chocolate, maybe?
WonderBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #59
judytab
Senior LCF Member

I've seen a recipe, don't remember where (might be KevinPa's recipe) - that uses Dixie Carb counters Smaps cereal to make something like a nestles crunch. Smaps is a LC cereal sold by Netrition.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #60
judytab
Senior LCF Member

WonderBird, this is the recipe from KevinPa that I was thinking of. It's at http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...=712329&page=3 Post 90

Coconut Oil Crunch

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup extra dark Hershey's cocoa powder (4 carbs)
1/4 cup granular erythritol (ground into powder for a volume of almost 1/2 cup)
18 drops sweetzfree (3/4 cup equivilent)
1/2 cup Dixie Diner Smaps cereal (2 carb)
1/4 t. peanut butter loranns flavor oil

Yummo!!