Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
WonderBird
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WonderBird
Little Debbie raisin cakes and oatmeal cream pies?

Are there any low-carb versions of these delightful little bits of heaven? Oatmeal cream pies of course taste great, but I think also the heartier texture they have is appealing and sometimes is what hits the spot. And the raisin cakes are just good, period. Soft and fluffy and cream filled and sprinkled with yummy raisins.
WonderBird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
I personally can't see how because raisins are hard to replace in a recipe, nothing really tastes like they do.
Oatmeal cream possibly using an almond flour base and a heavy cream, cream cheese, vanilla and sweetener filling.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I think part of a low-carb lifestyle means accepting that there are certain things you just can't duplicate, as Dottie says about the raisins.

We have some pretty inventive cooks/chefs here though, so maybe somebody has an idea, but I've just come to realize that I don't have some things any more and instead I am thankful for all the good stuff I CAN have!

There are really good recipes on here for all manner of baked goodies, cheesecakes, etc. Maybe find something that is on plan that you could substitute for those nasty Little Debbie morsels?

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This isn't what you asked for, but it's a Little Debbie low carb recipe from Maria Emmerich.

Little Debbie Zebra Cakes Maria
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 cup erythritol and 1 tsp. stevia glycerite
1 TBS vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl sift together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until very smooth (If you let the batter sit, it will thicken up a lot! Stir again just before pouring). Grease a muffin pan and fill about 1/3 of the way full with batter (don't over fill, we want a shorter cupcake). Bake for 13-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven. Once cool, cut each muffin in 1/2.
While the cupcakes are baking, whip the whipping cream and add a few drops of stevia glycerite to sweeten. Once the cakes are cooled and cut, fill the middle with 2 TBS of sweet whipping cream. Put two halves together (like a sandwich) and freeze for at least 2 hours. Meanwhile, make the frosting.
Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Stevia glycerite (to taste)
Mix all ingredients together and sweeten to taste (warm frosting will work better for dipping). Dip the frozen cakes in the warm frosting to completely cover the cakes. Set back in freezer until set. Meanwhile, make the chocolate.
Chocolate Stripes
3 TBS erythritol, powdered
1/4 tsp. stevia glycerite
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 TBS unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Place erythritol in a food processor or coffee grinder and blend until a fine powder. Place chopped chocolate and almond milk in a double boiler or a microwave safe bowl. Heat and stir until smooth. Mix in sweetener and extract until smooth. Use to make stripes on the cakes. (***For an easy option: Melt a chocolate bar with 3 TBS almond milk).
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This may be closer to what you are looking for, also from Maria Emmerich.

Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies Maria
Cookies
1 cup butter
3/4 Erythritol and 1 tsp. stevia glycerite
1 TBS molasses or Yacon Syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 cup whey protein
1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups crushed macadamia nuts OR vanilla whey crisps
Creme Filling
2 cups cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
1/3 cup Erythritol and 1 tsp. stevia glycerite
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp Salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together butter, sweeteners, molasses, vanilla, and eggs. In a separate bowl combine the almond flour, whey, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Mix in the macadamia pieces. Drop dough by tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until cookies are just starting to darken around the edges. They will still appear moist in the center. Be careful not to overcook. While the cookies bake, prepare the filling. Combine the ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. This mixture will thicken up after it sets. I make this ahead of time and let it sit in my fridge overnight. Assemble each creme pie by spreading the filling over one side of a cookie (the flat side) and press another cookie on top, making a sandwich. Repeat for the remaining cookies and filling.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Actually, you can use prunes, snipped into raisin sized bits. Prunes are very high in natural sorbital (hence their laxative effect.) So they don't raise your blood glucose like raisins do. And in a recipe, you can hardly tell the difference in taste.

I make a low carb raisin bread that is made with only 20 grams of raisins which adds 16 grams of carb to the whole recipe. The secret is that I take a pair of scissors and snip the raisons into thirds. Don't laugh! It allows a very small number of raisins to flavor a whole loaf of bread, adding one gram of carb per slice to the carb count. (Just don't let anyone catch you sitting there snipping up raisins, or they'll think you've gone over the hill.)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I use dried currants in place of raisins. Carbs are about the same but they are much smaller. Keeps me from snipping raisins into pieces.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote