Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #61
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
How are your averages looking with the new monitor???
I haven't been checking my blood sugar as often as I should, but I just checked my 14-day average (which is the only average the Contour next supplies), and the number was 103 which is about 10 points higher than my True Result used to give me. It's still lower than my A1c suggests, but I think that's because I haven't been diligent enough in testing. I have compared some readings to the True Metrix and sometimes they're very close and other times the True Metrix is either a lot higher or a lot lower than the Contour. I just tested a little while ago and the Contour said 107, but the True Metrix said 126. So, I retested with the True Metrix and then it said 106. As soon as I run out of strips for the True Metrix I won't use it anymore.

How are you doing with the Contour Next? Nan?
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #62
SpikersMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180 highest ever/161/145
WOE: limit AS/Fung fasting/being mindful
Start Date: 6/27/2016
Hey Ronnie! I like the Contour Next, but I am not happy with the numbers its showing me!!! Which means I have more work to do! I do occasionally have the strip that doesn't have enough blood for the sample, but I am learning to eyeball that better! I just received another order of strips from Amazon. I am sampling more frequently too, trying to get a handle on things!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #63
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

I know what you mean, Nan, about not liking the numbers. But at least now I know that the foods I thought were bad really are :-(.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #64
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
I'm also averaging about 7 to 10 points higher with contour.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #65
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Definitely corresponds with my last a1c. I always questioned it..now I know it was probably the true test meter
Old 09-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #66
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Definitely corresponds with my last a1c. I always questioned it..now I know it was probably the true test meter
Nice to have some answers as it allows you to see where you need to make some changes. Because of the True Result I relaxed my diet somewhat (again, as suggested by my doctor) when I probably should not have.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #67
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
Hi there,

Visiting and considering "hacking" my metabolism, i.e., buying a glucometer and test strips for both my DH and myself. He is worried about his BP and I suspect it's mainly that he may be becoming insulin resistant, and that I am too.

What's the latest on meters? Which ones do we love? Which are the best values? Are the ones that require less blood just as good as the ones that need bigger blood drops?
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #68
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_in_a_cave View Post
Hi there,

Visiting and considering "hacking" my metabolism, i.e., buying a glucometer and test strips for both my DH and myself. He is worried about his BP and I suspect it's mainly that he may be becoming insulin resistant, and that I am too.

What's the latest on meters? Which ones do we love? Which are the best values? Are the ones that require less blood just as good as the ones that need bigger blood drops?
Hi steve....I've been prediabetic ever since going through menopause so I bought a meter to see which foods I need to stay away from. I've tried a few meters, the True Result meter was my first which I really liked, but it was discontinued so I had to move on. I also tried the Presto which received good ratings, but I couldn't get comfortable with it; it was small for one thing which I wasn't used to. I still have it, but I never use it. I also tried the Relion...the one with the cheaper strips....but it really tested me high plus I got very volatile readings with that meter. I've been using the Bayer Contour Next EZ meter for about a year which I like a lot. The strips are not as low priced as the True Result's were, but the price is not bad at all at amazon. I also think this meter is more accurate than the True Result which always showed lower readings that didn't jive with my A1c. As far as the size of the blood drop, the Contour uses a small drop, plus it allows you to add more if you didn't get enough, which is great as you don't waste strips. With the True Result, I used to get an error message if the strip didn't draw in enough blood. I don't know if meters that require more blood are less or more accurate than those that require less, but it is easier on the person to draw less blood in my opinion. I'm very happy with the Contour EZ. I like that it draws up the blood drop very quickly and it beeps when it has drawn in enough, which is pretty much instantaneous. The result is very quick too. The only feature the True Result meter had that the Contour does not, and one that I really liked, was a release button. With the Contour, you have to pull the used strip out; I really preferred being able to press a button and the strip fell out. But not a deal breaker.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #69
SpikersMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180 highest ever/161/145
WOE: limit AS/Fung fasting/being mindful
Start Date: 6/27/2016
The strips are for the Contour are less expensive on Amazon . . . . meters themselves are fairly inexpensive. The strips are where the companies make their money.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #70
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I also tried the Relion...the one with the cheaper strips....but it really tested me high plus I got very volatile readings with that meter.

Ronnie, what did you mean by getting volatile reading with the Relion? That's what I use. I have never compared by readings to those when I get lab work done.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #71
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Ronnie, what did you mean by getting volatile reading with the Relion? That's what I use. I have never compared by readings to those when I get lab work done.
When I used the Relion, I would test three times in a row and the readings would be all over the place....not consistent at all. I just didn't trust it because I didn't know which reading to believe. I've read that this is not the way to test the reliability of a meter, so I could have been hasty with my decision to stop using it. But I 'm happy with the Contour Next EZ.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #72
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
When I used the Relion, I would test three times in a row and the readings would be all over the place....not consistent at all. I just didn't trust it because I didn't know which reading to believe. I've read that this is not the way to test the reliability of a meter, so I could have been hasty with my decision to stop using it. But I 'm happy with the Contour Next EZ.
I use Relion because of the low cost. I have never tried testing more than once at a time. I will try that tomorrow and see what I get. Now I'm curious.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #73
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I use Relion because of the low cost. I have never tried testing more than once at a time. I will try that tomorrow and see what I get. Now I'm curious.
Would you mind sharing your results, Carol?
BTW, there is more than one Relion meter, not sure of the differences except in the cost of the strips.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #74
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

My Contour seems overall reliable. Matches closely with my blood work.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #75
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Ronnie, there are 3 Relion Meters. I have the Prime, which is the least expensive. I get 100 strips for $17.88 in the store. The others are Ultima and Confirm, and the strips are $35 for 100. The prices on Amazon seem to be much higher. They can also be ordered on the Walmart site online.

I forgot to test 3 times when I tested fasting today. I tested now, after having a breakfast of scrambled eggs and coffee. I used 3 different fingers and my results were 184, 185 and 192. Remember, I am full blown type 2, not prediabetic, so my readings are running higher that yours would. I consider those reading to be very close to the same, but I don't know how they compare to lab tests.

I will test again later today, using the same blood drop for all 3 tests and see what kind of results I get for that.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #76
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ronnie, there are 3 Relion Meters. I have the Prime, which is the least expensive. I get 100 strips for $17.88 in the store. The others are Ultima and Confirm, and the strips are $35 for 100. The prices on Amazon seem to be much higher. They can also be ordered on the Walmart site online.

I forgot to test 3 times when I tested fasting today. I tested now, after having a breakfast of scrambled eggs and coffee. I used 3 different fingers and my results were 184, 185 and 192. Remember, I am full blown type 2, not prediabetic, so my readings are running higher that yours would. I consider those reading to be very close to the same, but I don't know how they compare to lab tests.

I will test again later today, using the same blood drop for all 3 tests and see what kind of results I get for that.

Hi Carol, Thank you for that information. I'm not sure which Relion I had but I'd say your three readings are all very close; sounds like you have a good meter. However, I believe the best test of accuracy is to match it against lab results. It's been a while, but I remember the reason I compared three readings with my Relion was because first I would get an unexpected high result, so I would retest, and the second result would be normal. I can't remember what the third one would usually be, but it was different enough from the first two that I didn't stay with the meter. Also, I didn't use the same drop of blood so that could be a factor in the wide variation in readings. But your numbers are all very close, so your meter sounds quite reliable.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #77
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

There are a lot of factors involved, including washing and drying your hands well before testing, and also the way you handle the strip. They tell you to never touch the part where you put the drop of blood, but that's pretty hard to do. There are some meters that contain all the strips and they load automatically so you never touch them. I think using the same drop of blood you should be getting the same results. Makes sense.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #78
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I just tried the 3 tests with the same drop of blood within the first hour of finishing dinner. 135, 144, 152. It's only a 12% difference, but it doesn't make sense considering it was the same drop of blood which should have contained the same amount of sugar regardless, unless it makes a difference when the drop of blood is exposed to the air for those few seconds more.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 09-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #79
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just tried the 3 tests with the same drop of blood within the first hour of finishing dinner. 135, 144, 152. It's only a 12% difference, but it doesn't make sense considering it was the same drop of blood which should have contained the same amount of sugar regardless, unless it makes a difference when the drop of blood is exposed to the air for those few seconds more.
The 135 to 152 is within manufacturers' accepted margin variation (or whatever it's called) of 20%, but those two numbers make the difference between the "normal" cutoff of 140 that I've read about. I believe that meter results are really just a suggestion.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #80
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Ronnie, just between you and me and everyone else reading here, I go over the 140 mark way too often for my own good...but that's for another discussion.

Dr Jason Fung