Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
When hard "things" in life happen, how do you stay on track with food?

When someone close to you is either not well, soon will be gone or life is just so very, very hard, what do you do?

I have heard and read about some hitting the bottle during such times.

For me I eat.

But I do not want to do either of the above!

How to cope during such times?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
Hi, Leona! Sorry to hear that you're having that challenge, but I thought I'd respond with my recent experience. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and had surgery last week. I knew I had to plan ahead, And didn't want meals at the hospital, so I grilled some hamburgers and turkey burgers and individually wrapped them in foil and put them in the freezer. I'd throw a hamburger in my bag and by lunchtime it would be thawed. I even found a microwave in the cafeteria that I could have used. In addition, I took pre-measured one ounce bags of nuts - macadamia nuts especially, because they keep me full longer.

I think it all comes down to planning. You posted this on the JUDDD site - are you doing low carb? I've been eating low carb so long that its second nature and even during times of stress, I find it keeps me on track - almost like I can control something when everything else is out of control. I've learned to turn to low carb comfort foods - keep your favorites on hand.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
For me, it varies with the situation.

When my younger sister died suddenly several years ago, one aspect of my grief was a total loss of appetite. Even though there was tempting food (compliments of neighbors) all around me, I had no desire to 'comfort' myself with eating.

However, sometimes just a small stressful incident will evoke 'hunger' that I've learned to recognize as simply my brain wanting food reward. By identifying that feeling, I've learned to ignore it.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130/130 Goal 2-20-18
Start Date: 08/16/17
Hi Leonak
Sorry you are going through this! You have done great on JUDDD so hopefully you can keep doing what you have learned through the planning that we do on this plan. Please do not hit the bottle. I have been there for other reasons. I had a son dealing with a drug addiction problem and living in my house. Every day was a huge struggle for me and I hit the bottle hard. It was awful for me physically, mentally and emotionally. I get it because alcohol makes you numb which I thought I needed but in the long run it was so bad for me and did no good for my son either. He is much better now. So eating is the better of the 2 options but still in the end I think you will feel like I felt in my past with the alcohol binges. You will end up hurting yourself in the process. My thoughts and prayers with you and your loved one.
jhmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
jenericstewart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/163/163
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: June 2012
I got to goal 4 years ago, with JUDDD. 2 years ago, I lost my 2 adult children, which prompted regain. I struggled so much that I was suicidal. I scrambled, panicked, worked so hard to stick with JUDDD. DDs are a killer on one's anxiety. It's a miracle I didn't regain more.

I eventually got ahold of myself, through God's grace, dove into the book of Psalms, and got back on track. In hindsight, I wished I'd gone to CAD fully. This would've give me the carb relief I needed during the worst of the worst times. Do as I say, not as I did.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I usually remind myself that diving head first into food won't really help anything. When everything else settles down, and it will, eventually, my weight will be up and that will be one more thing that needs to be addressed.

I did take a 4 day break this weekend. Stress has been high, but more than stress, I have been very hungry. Need food hungry. It didn't seem like the mental effort needed to stick with a DD on Friday and Monday was worth it.

At each intersection, we need to make choices. A choice that seems right one time not be right is a similar situation at another time.

Tomorrow is my 6-year weight loss anniversary. That's a pretty long time. A lot of life has happened in the last 6 years. I'd say I was sticking strictly to plan over 95% of the time or on a very short (4-5 day planned break for a vacation or whatnot).

Sending you hugs Leona

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #7
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Food is a siren call and a socially-acceptable form of medicating ourselves as well as a way for others to show that they care.

But, its self-medication doesn't last beyond the moment. And, as I sometimes find myself needing to remind myself, there isn't a single thing about my life that would improve if I gained body fat points - and a lot that would become considerably more difficult and make it harder to cope or endure.

It's not a cheerful message but a mix of self-compassion and reality is all that seems to help us through those times in life.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-21-2018 at 12:09 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 AM   #8
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
I got to goal 4 years ago, with JUDDD. 2 years ago, I lost my 2 adult children, which prompted regain. I struggled so much that I was suicidal. I scrambled, panicked, worked so hard to stick with JUDDD. DDs are a killer on one's anxiety. It's a miracle I didn't regain more.
I was heart sorry to read that this happened in your life and I'm so grateful that you survived to be with us and share your journey.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #9
jenericstewart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/163/163
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: June 2012
SlowSure Thank you for your kind words. All of us experience great hardships in time. I shudder when I think about what could've happened if I'd totally let myself go. But for the grace of God go I, Who gave me strength to stick with JUDDD during my darkest moments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Food is a siren call and a socially-acceptable form of medicating ourselves as well as a way for others to show that they care. But, its self-medication doesn't last beyond the moment.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Leona, I have nothing to add but my heartfelt sympathy.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
My relative passed today. Body is donated to science, which she had made out years ago - it was her wishes.

Thank you one and all for all your posts and wonderful suggestions. They were all so appreciated.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
What wonderful gift, clearly a very special woman. I send my sincere condolences.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
My relative passed today.
Sending hugs and prayers

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:26 AM   #14
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

My thoughts are with you, Leona.