Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #31
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Just feeling blah and pudgy... I know spring will be here soon, so hoping that will help.

I interviewed at 2 places. One place I really liked and would like to get an offer, but time will tell.

I see my spine doctor tomorrow, so will see what he has to say about the MRI report.

Step-daughter is being retched. It's just so old at this point, but I'm guessing that things are probably not going to change anytime soon, if ever when it comes to her.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #32
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Oh Carly, you have so much on your plate. I really hope the job you like comes good.. As for Step-daughter, like you say, it is old. I just hope that it doesn't come between you and DW. Let us know what the spine doctor has to say.

I am having a month off weighing, which is quite tough for a daily weigher... I feel okay, just.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #33
Carly

The spine doctor said I need to see the surgeon that performed my surgery, but that was in 2009, so I don't know if he takes the insurance I currently have, so will call on Monday.

I didn't get the job, but I actually suspect that might be for the best.

I strongly suspect that my step-daughter is trying her darnedest to get between DW and I. DW is throwing my step-daughter a housing warming party next Saturday and she told DW on Wednesday that I'm not welcome at her home. It is what it is, but when it really comes down to it, DW and MY funds are paying for this party, so it's pretty nasty of her.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #34
Kissa

People can be so disappointing. I am sorry Carly.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #35
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Carly - it's cold comfort but you're the one who is behaving well and that's a blessing for your DW, no matter how much your step-daughter is taking advantage of it.

Friends and family are doing OK, all things considered. I am a little wondering how many more stroke episodes that involve the vision can happen to my sibling without leaving any long-term impairment but there's nothing I can do to influence that apart from demonstrating appropriate care and support.

I think about our JB community and miss you.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #36
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/128/124
I'm struggling. There's been too many sweets at my work office. While I've been ok at maintaining, I'm feeling pudgy and bloated. I leave for vacation in Greece in 8 weeks. I'd like to make it to 122-124 by then, but I'm worried I won't. I wish I had some inspiration, but the weather here is just going to be wet and miserable for a long time yet. I think I'd kill for a sunny day.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #37
kgirlpure
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kgirlpure
Stats: ( 5'5")183.6/183.6/130 age 52
WOE: alternative day
Start Date: March 2018 again
Hello all! Just want to vent...but know that i am not giving up. My weight is going up despite sticking with my up and down days and staying withing my calorie alotment for up
days( down days i find it easier to not eat at all) its gotta be water weight( but not my cycle i am past that) this is so frustrating. it use to be when i fasted my weight would continually drop...sometimes just a few ounce after a fast but it was so predictable. now its climbing. i am not doing low carb, but not eating junk. I have to say i don't want to do low carb because it makes me feel so deprived. with up day down day i just don't feel deprived. i am also burning ketones after a 36hour fast. so i am just miffed why i am moving up the scale and not down. I remember reading Carly's post that she didn't eat low carb so i was happy to know it was a doable weight loss plan. My plan is to give this till april 5th and if it doesn't work i am think( as much as i don't want to) to go back to low carb. Please give me hope that this thing will turn around. Thanks all!
kgirlpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:36 AM   #38
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

kgirlpure - We all lose and maintain weight very differently, and I feel this goes for double after menopause.

I wish I could give a forecast that is likely to be more accurate than not but I can't. I had an uptick in scale weight that stuck for an absurdly long time. I refused to eat less as that wouldn't have been sustainable and then, approx. 8 weeks ago I shed 8 lbs in <1 week. Plainly, I'd neither genuinely gained that weight nor lost that amount in body fat yet the scale number was very unhelpful.

It's very dispiriting but there are times when we need to keep the faith. I had to because during weight loss I used to plateau for months then drop an implausible amount of scale weight every day for 5-10 days before stabilising again. And, In maintenance (for several years now), I was within a range for years then rose out of nowhere and have just dropped again.

You've nothing to lose by trying out lowcarb plus fasting - just because one combination doesn't work for you now doesn't mean it won't in the future. I know there are huge metabolism shifts that mean our needs and preferences change.

Demoralising and dispiriting. But, when you know you're implementing the programme - we have to keep the faith. I'm genuinely sorry I can't say anything more encouraging.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #39
ShrinkingWoman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShrinkingWoman
Stats: HW 207 197/170/157 H-5'10
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 1, 2017
kgirlpure - I know it is frustrating. I too lose in a very random and weird drops and sometimes gains. I have a feeling you have a woosh coming your way. I hold with the theory that as we lose fat the cells temporarily fill with water to keep their shape so as to store fat quickly again. Then after a period of time if no storage is necessary they dump the water and you get a drop in weight all at once. Not scientific at all but visually it helps me deal with gains when I know I have been following my diet and should not have gained. I don't do low carb either because I just don't feel that well when I do it.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #40
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Carly: So sorry to hear about Step-D. The not welcome statement is pretty blunt. And makes it pretty clear that she is trying to get her mom to "chose" (in quotation marks because she's doing it by trying to hurt her mom as well as you). Jerk.

Good luck with the next job interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
I'm struggling. There's been too many sweets at my work office. While I've been ok at maintaining, I'm feeling pudgy and bloated. I leave for vacation in Greece in 8 weeks. I'd like to make it to 122-124 by then, but I'm worried I won't. I wish I had some inspiration, but the weather here is just going to be wet and miserable for a long time yet. I think I'd kill for a sunny day.
A lot of that going around, it seems. Even here in sunny Fla. Greece in spring! Love me some Greek isles. And some Athens. And the countryside too. LOL Where ya headed?

Me: Being bothered by a couple of ongoing health issues--the shoulder and a weird ear thing that will probably have to wait till I get back up north and can see my PCP. I am also running on empty after what turned out to be six weeks of company (with one four-day break). It was great fun, but I've been comfort eating for a couple of weeks. Today, finally, I regained enough focus and energy to pick myself up and get back into my routine. I'm still in protective mode, though--doing my work, for me, and avoiding the world as much as possible. Plan on starting a Spring Thing thread soon.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #41
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130/130 Goal 2-20-18
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 08/16/17
I'm still here. I've decided to just maintain through March. In April I will hit the daily weigh in again and I have a new goal which involves decreasing my fat percentage. I have a new scale that is fabulous for that so I thought it might be fun to play with that number. It may turn out to be a futile effort but there are some spots I would like to work on and fat percentage looks like the way to go for that.

My funny story. I decided I am allowed to have beer once in awhile again. I had stopped drinking beer in October of last year for the diet. As long as I don't start gaining I think I can have a few beers once in awhile now. I love beer so I did miss that flavor. I am weird like that. Anyways I had 3 beers before Zumba last night. DH drove me to the gym. I hadn't eaten since lunch so I was a little tipsy not drunk or anything just happy tipsy. Anyways I dance better while tipsy. That was my revelation. I had a blast. So tipsy Zumba is a thing but I will not make it a regular habit. I wonder if anyone noticed? I have been doing Zumba at least 4 times a week now and sometimes 5.

Oops work is summoning me. Gotta go
jhmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #42
kgirlpure
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kgirlpure
Stats: ( 5'5")183.6/183.6/130 age 52
WOE: alternative day
Start Date: March 2018 again
Thanks SlowSure and ShrinkingWoman for the advice....it is looking like i am dropping slowly. i am fighting a dehydration issue( it comes on so quick ). I am so happy with myself that i am not giving up in frustration, something that i would have done in the past. today make 2 weeks and 1 day staying on a consistent UD DD schedule. it is way easier now.
p0rtia Spring is my favorite time of year...i so cant wait! Hope you feel up to par soon.
jhmart- When i do Zumba i look Tipsy because i am so NOT Coordinated i am tripping over my feet...but i cant blame it on the beer!

Hope everyone is well!
kgirlpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #43
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

p0rtia...
We're headed for Kos. We've been to this island before and love its chill scene. May is quite early for the season, but we benefit from less crowds..

jmart: As for Zumba... back in the day I danced my rear end off in clubs. After one drink, I could easily dance for 1-2 hours, with a top up here or there. Dancing better while tipsy is no new feat. I think it's easier to feel the beat and loose some inhibition. I miss dancing, but as Dr. Evil once said, 'there's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster,' so I stay away from the old dancefloors I once frequented.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #44
Kissa

My Zumba classes are at 9.30 am, a little early for alcohol, even for me. I may occasionally be running on the night before's beverages of course, lol.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #45
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

y'all are hilarious! Wouldn't it be great to do a JBs girl's night out and we could all go out clubbing! I don't even remember the last time I went to a club 10 years ago at least!

I am going to Zumba again today but straight from work so no tipsy Zumba today.

TOM decided to mess with me today. Still no cramps this time either??? (Keeping fingers crossed). I have had cramps my entire life so the fact that a fast could end that nonsense two months in a row? I'm still not believing it except its happening to me? I am a scientist. I really have to know what a fast did to stop cramps. I MUST KNOW!!!!

Have a great weekend ladies!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #46
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post
I am a scientist. I really have to know what a fast did to stop cramps. I MUST KNOW!!!!

Have a great weekend ladies!
Me too. What field are you in? Academia or industry?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #47
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh. I just had the carbiest carb day. I feel so gross. I'm not even going to weigh in tomorrow. I told DH I'm going to make thai chicken soup tomorrow. I'm contemplating going low carb/ keto because I've just been eating too much sugar and too much crap lately.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:45 AM   #48
Kissa

Yes a few too many carbs had been entering my life too. It’s the winter I fear.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #49
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/151.6/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Kwerp, I'm just chiming in to say I decided to cut out the carbs last week for the same reason (I also got some bloodwork done, and wasn't happy with my cholesterol..). After a week of fresh meat, fish, veggies, and smoothies...yep, I feel soo much better. Go figure I had a day or so of crankiness, but the scale shifted downwards, and the stomach bloat is gone. Now I'm remembering why I loved eating this way.
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #50
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

A note for those of you resisting carbs - I'm having to remind DH that he fares better with fewer high-impact carbs as he is irresistibly drawn to them in this cold, damp weather.

Family and friends are variously staggering on tho' it's noticeable that the cold and damp are not helping anyone. I have to admit that the various strains of this are manifesting as crankiness in me as well as those more directly affected).

I've mentioned this previously but for those who haven't read it, may I recommend E. B. White's 1973 letter to Mr. Nadeau. It can be found on:
Letters of Note
Quote:
Hope is the thing that is left to us, in a bad time. I shall get up Sunday morning and wind the clock, as a contribution to order and steadfastness.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 AM   #51
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

I spent the day cooking as means of therapy. I spent the time to make homemade chicken broth, then made thai chicken soup. You're supposed to add rice noodles to it, but I didn't. I'm left with a broth seasoned with ginger, lemongrass and fish sauce, with pieces of chicken, mushroom, and cilantro. Oh, and a good dash of hot sauce for fire.
Then I made a huge vegetable fritata with broccoli, onions, mushrooms and some cheese.

The snow has made driving out my neighborhood annoying, so I'll likely go for a walk into the village. I'm tired of winter.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #52
Kissa

Yes Kwerp, me too.

We invited the neighbours around last night to try to lift spirits. I made devilled eggs for the first time in years, they were a great success.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #53
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

In passing, there's an interesting brief comment about comfort eating:
theguardian
Title: In the obesity blame game, it’s easy to forget the role emotions play in food

The most relevant part is the conclusion:
Quote:
Hunger, in its often phoney, western, 21st-century guise, is a highly complex response to all sorts of different stimuli and emotions. Sure, you can get rid of the ads. You can make rubbish less easily available, too. But some things are harder to change: the inside of our heads, the fretfulness that stalks us as we stand idly in the kitchen, wondering what on earth we are looking for.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-18-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #54
Kissa

Oh yes!

Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #55
Carly

Good Morning JUDDD Buds! Add me to the group of those who are thoroughly fed up with winter. That being said, this week has some snow in the forecast and temps below normal, so, I guess I will continue to dream of spring.

My friend and I saw 4 baby deer along the highway on Saturday evening, so that must be a good sign.

It seems that DW has had enough of the stepdaughter's bad behavior and from what DW tells me she laid down the law with step-daughter... time will tell.

I feel like I've been eating more than I should and gotten into a habit of some DDs being a bit high and some UDs being too low, which is the worst pattern for me, so need to really tighten things up.

I may do a stint of Stillman's next week. Kind of a reset- we shall see.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #56
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

HI Kwerp...I have my PhD in Biochemistry but have worked in industry for the last 20 years. I am in pharmaceuticals (operations support as a senior scientist).
On a sad note...the cramps caught up with me later that day. I took some ibuprofen which numbed them down. So the no cramps is only when fasting. I still don't know the science. If you have any ideas? I am contemplating a monthly fast around TOM to avoid cramps. Maybe too much?
What field are you in?

Carly..great news on your step daughter!!I am so happy DW is supporting you on this one!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #57
Carly

Thanks Jeni. This has been a long, drawn out, ordeal with the stepdaughter, so, really time will tell.

I'm in healthcare (Compliance, Privacy and Quality Assurance). Big pharma pays well but seems hard to enter the field at my current level.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #58
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I feel like I've been eating more than I should and gotten into a habit of some DDs being a bit high and some UDs being too low, which is the worst pattern for me, so need to really tighten things up.

I may do a stint of Stillman's next week. Kind of a reset- we shall see.
Come join me in my Spring Challenge: Out Like a Lamb Edition! :-D
Old 03-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #59
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Things are still hectic with me and mine - either we'll acclimate to it being our new normal or things will calm down.

Jeni - you're taking electrolytes round your TOM and it's doing nothing for your cramps? Do you think it might be an interplay between the calcium/magnesium/potassium shifts that accompany TOM? Is there a form of physical exercise that can tamp down the cramps for you? (Back in the day, I used to find that some abdominal work aggravated but then relieved what were severe cramps.)

Old 03-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #60
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Hi Slow...I hadn't thought about the electrolyte shift. Very interesting! During my fast my electrolytes were funny and I was supplementing magnesium and sea salt so maybe that helped the cramps and not the fast? I had really awful cramps when I was younger. I remember having to take the huge ibuprofen tablets from the school clinic in college just so I could function. The cramps aren't that bad any more but they still hurt. I will supplement electrolytes next month. I like that idea. I have not found exercise to help but I haven't tried specific ones for cramps. The ibuprofen works pretty well still so I just take that. Thanks for the suggestions!!!