Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Saved a dry coconut cake

I am excited to share a find with you. I made a coconut chocolate cake that had so much expensive ingredients and it was a big disappointment. It tasted good but it seemed a bit dry and crumbly and made me very sad.

I remembered something, if you have a box of cookies which are dry and hard that if you put a piece of bread in the cookie jar the next morning the bread would be dry and crumbly but the cookies nice and moist. I don't eat bread so I got to thinking, obviously the cookies took the moisture from the bread. The cake is in a cake pan that the lid snaps down tight and since it was missing a couple of pieces, I took a small bowl and a tiny bit of water that I put in the microwave till boiling. Being careful not to let the water spill I sat the bowl in the container snapping down the lid. A bit later I noticed the cake did seem a bit more moist so I poured the water out and refilled the small boil and heated the water each time. I did this at least 3 times. Folks I am here to tell you this WORKED!!! I now have a tasty moist delicious cake and you wouldn't know that it had ever been dry.

I thought you might like to know about this.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
whoa skeeter! You A Genius!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
wishbone
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
I have done something like this with an apple. just slice it 1/2 and lay it on the cake plate. (this was under one of those covered stands at work). works GREAT !!!

and I ran lemon juice over the apple so it would not discolor so quickly.

Last edited by wishbone; 04-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: more to say
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Cool. I don't have an apple either cause I do not eat them and therefore don't buy them.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Bread and apple work but I love the idea of water to steam freshness in your cake.
Way to go Skeeter!!!!!!!

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Ginaaaaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: Moderate carbs, whole foods
Start Date: April 2009
Nice find!! Now how about that coconut chocolate cake recipe. LOL
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Here it is. I am afraid to post the website I found this on. I personally think 2 cups of coconut flour is way to much. The liquid was used up before I could get all the dry ingredients in. I ended up adding water to make it wetter and only baking this about 20 minutes in a 9 X 13 cake pan and it was already done. The weight of this was so heavy. The cake very dense. If I ever make this again I am halving this entire thing and trying that. Coconut flour is like a sponge and soaks the liquid up so fast.

Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake

1 cup butter - softened
1 2/3 cups sugar (I used Ideal white)
10 eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups coconut flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups half n' half
Coconut oil

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9 inch or 8 inch layer pans with coconut oil and dust with cocoa powder.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar, and beat together for about 2 minutes. Add eggs in one at a time and beat high speed for about 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla while beating the eggs and butter mixture. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients together and add alternately with the milk to the butter mixture. Beat batter for about five minutes on high speed. Spoon batter into the two prepared cake pans and smoothen out tops.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Place pans on wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool cakes completely before frosting. Use your favorite frosting to frost the cake.

I made a type of buttercream frosting with 1 stick of butter and 2 cups powdered E with enough liquid splenda to taste, then warm water till it was spreadable. Does have a bit of cooling effect but very similar to decorator frosting IMHO

Last edited by SkeeterN; 04-26-2012 at 06:18 PM..