Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Soul Bread

I searched and cannot see that anyone is talking about this bread. A lady who goes by Souls Song aka Gloria Koch created this recipe. I asked her if it was ok if I shared it here. She said, Of course, this recipe seems to be taking on a life of its own. So many are having such fun making variations of this recipe. Even though it was suggested that Designer Whey plain wouldn't work, as you can see from my photo's it did very well. The only thing I guess I may have done wrong was not getting the cream cheese totally blended as you can see tiny bits of cream cheese through out the bread. Doesn't effect the taste at all. It is wonderful. It is denser than traditional bread but slices beautifully. I have only eaten a small slice with cream cheese and strawberry jam.

Original Soul Bread Recipe

.9 net carbs per slice for 16 slices.
Ingredients

1 2/3 c unflavored isolate protein powder** (zero carb)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c melted butter
2 drops liquid sucralose (or stevia), optional
4 eggs
12 ozs cream cheese, softened
1/4 c heavy whipping cream (or half and half)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

** Not all isolate protein powders produce great results.

Nature’s Best ISOPURE Whey Protein and Hoosier Hill Farm Whey Protein Powder are two brands that tested well.

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 F. Prepare a bread pan (9″ x 5″) or molds.

Soften cream cheese. (45 seconds to 1 minute in a microwave works well.) Melt butter and add to cream cheese. Add in olive oil, heavy whipping cream (or half and half) and eggs. Blend well using a stick blender or hand mixer.

Add baking powder and xanthan gum to an empty salt shaker and shake over the liquid mixture. Mix well after each shake to avoid lumps.

Add protein powder, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar to a flour sifter. Sift over the wet ingredients. Stir by hand just until mixed. (Do not use a mixer or blender.) Do not over stir or the bread will become dense.

Pour into a greased pan or silicone mold and bake at 325 F for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. The bread may be dry on top but adding melted butter helps if you’re eating it right away. Once cool, wrap in plastic to store.
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I also used Designer Whey successfully. It's a decent bread but the flavor is flat to me. It needs a faux wheatiness desperately. It is also ever so slightly eggy. However, it slices quite easily, has a great texture and GRILLS into a beautiful grilled cheese.

The flatness of the flavor lends itself to bold sandwiches... pb&j, sharp cheeses, muffaletta relish, peppers, mustards, etc.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
I also used Designer Whey successfully. It's a decent bread but the flavor is flat to me. It needs a faux wheatiness desperately. It is also ever so slightly eggy. However, it slices quite easily, has a great texture and GRILLS into a beautiful grilled cheese.

The flatness of the flavor lends itself to bold sandwiches... pb&j, sharp cheeses, muffaletta relish, peppers, mustards, etc.
But this base also leads for lovely experimentation possibilities.

Someone said they add flax to the and decrease the protein powder. Others are trying to experiment adding yeast. I didn't notice it being "too" eggy and read that can lesson after refrigerating over night.
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 02-16-2016 at 07:46 PM..
Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

A group I'm on is just about to try adding oat fiber. I think flax would really add something.

Jen
Old 02-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Add baking powder and xanthan gum to an empty salt shaker and shake over the liquid mixture. Mix well after each shake to avoid lumps.

Add protein powder, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar to a flour sifter. Sift over the wet ingredients. Stir by hand just until mixed. (Do not use a mixer or blender.) Do not over stir or the bread will become dense.
I would just mix all of the dry ingredients together instead of having to carefully sift the xanthan gum into the wet ingredients. I do that whenever there are a lot of spices or dry ingredients in a recipe that I can mix the xanthan gum into. No clumping or lumping.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I would just mix all of the dry ingredients together instead of having to carefully sift the xanthan gum into the wet ingredients. I do that whenever there are a lot of spices or dry ingredients in a recipe that I can mix the xanthan gum into. No clumping or lumping.
I actually learned that here. I told the lady who created this recipe that you can do this. I did it that way instead of the way she suggests. I did however fold the dry into the wet gently.
Anita's Web Page
Old 02-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I have quite a few variants of this recipe saved to my pinterest, but haven't gotten around to trying. Glad a few here have tested it out already!
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Tried the original recipe today. Definetly, we can live with this. Does it taste exactly like real bread? No, but I didn't expect it too. But can we live with it as a bread alternative? Absolutely.

I made egg in hole. Worked awesome! Sliced nice too! Looking forward to French toast, sandwiches and what ever else I'd use bread for!

Now to try some of the variations...

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Makes EX-CELL-ENT french toast. In fact, had I topped it also with a cream cheese frosting it would have been cinnamon rolls!!!

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 02-27-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Old 02-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 207/198.2 /goal 150
WOE: Protein Power, mostly
Start Date: January/1/2015
How is this any different then Atkins cloud bread. This Cloud recipe from Atkins came up on my facebbok page a couple of weeks ago. The only difference is heavy cream vs coconut milk. I made it as written and it tasted too much like cake using vanilla whey, so the next time I made it using plain whey and only 1/4 cup vanilla whey. It is good and I agree, it needs some wheat fiber or something. Deb...

Atkins Cloud Bread
INGREDIENTS
12 ozs Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter Stick
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Coconut Milk Unsweetened
4 large Eggs (Whole)
1 1/2 cups Vanilla Whey Protein
1 1/2 tsps Baking Powder (Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Double Acting)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Cream Of Tartar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum

DIRECTIONS

Do not substitute other protein powders for the whey protein.

1.Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare a 5x9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving flap over edge to lift bread out after baking. Be sure all ingredients are at room temperature before starting.
2.In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the softened cream cheese with the softened butter until well mixed. Add the oil and coconut milk, blend until mixed then add the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Set aside.
3.In a small bowl, whisk together the whey protein, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. Pour this mixture into the cream cheese and eggs and fold until fully incorporated. Do not over blend or the recipe may end up too dense.
4.Bake for 45 minutes until it is golden brown on the top. Allow to sit in the pan for 5 minutes to cool then carefully remove from the pan to continue cooling on a wire rack. Cut into 10 thick slices, eat immediately or place in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator. This bread can easily be cut into 20 thin slices for making sandwiches.

This recipe was adapted to fit the Atkins program from several different recipes including both the original Cloud Bread
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

I use Cooking Keto with Kristie's Soul Bread with Oat Fiber. I like it much better. It's a youtube video. No olive oil either- and she adds a bit of apple cider vinegar. Oh, and yeast.

Very similar from the looks of that one.

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 02-27-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Old 02-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #12
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Jen, could you post your recipe? I notice the original does not have oat fiber.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #13
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
I use Cooking Keto with Kristie's Soul Bread with Oat Fiber. I like it much better. It's a youtube video. No olive oil either- and she adds a bit of apple cider vinegar. Oh, and yeast.

I agree with Jen.

I just saw her bread on you tube and she put the oat fiber in to give ooomph! She liked it alot better.It's a good video.She used bacon grease and apple cider vinegar. Looked great.

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-28-2016 at 06:23 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #14
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:

Hey Jen,

Do you think 2 TBS of vinegar was too much vinegar for the recipe or would 1 TBS be enough?
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

I want to make a loaf of this bread. I watched Kristie's changes for the soul bread and she adds Oat Fiber. I don't have any and will have to order it. I do however have some Wheat protein Isolate 8000 and also some resistant wheat starch, and some vital wheat gluten. (I am not gluten free)
I am thinking of experimenting and using one of these in place of the oat fiber. Do you think this would give it more of a wheat taste. I know using the vital wheat gluten will raise the carbs for sure.

What does one use resistant wheat starch for anyway. Bought it for KevinPA baked goods and haven't used it for a long time. Its been in the freezer and tastes ok.
Anita's Web Page
Old 02-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #16
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

It is oven with kinda sorta Kristie's tweaks. I decided to experiment and switched out the Oat Fiber for Wheat Protein Isolate 8000. Read and searched quite a bit about using the WPI 8000 and even came upon some past posts from KevinPA and was like awwww I miss him. He was just so talented and knowledgeable.
Anita's Web Page
Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #17
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Let us know how it turns out Skeeter!

I like the addition of the 2 Tbl of vinegar but I imagine 1 would do.

Jen
Old 02-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

My first bite plain was this tastes like a biscuit. I was awed by the flavor of the yeast and the very mild taste of the bacon grease. I am not sure anyone would be interested since the WPI 8000 wouldn't be gluten free but WOW!

I liked the Soul Bread but it had a funny taste to me if I didn't spread something on it that was more powerful flavorwise than the bread itself. I didn't taste that in this.

I am sold on this. Of course I didn't try the Oat Fiber either. But I made it exactly like Kristie with the exception of the substitute. Toast butter with cinnamon sugar swerve on top

Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 02-28-2016 at 05:45 PM..
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Thanks for the update Skeeter. I reluctantly bought some whey protein to test this (and Toddsters hamburger buns) out, but I think that I might want to try it with WPI 5000 instead. I have made the low carb Magic Rolls with the WPI 5000 and I loved the hearty wheat taste of it. I just don't see the point in making bread if it doesn't taste like bread. lol
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #20
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
Thanks for the update Skeeter. I reluctantly bought some whey protein to test this (and Toddsters hamburger buns) out, but I think that I might want to try it with WPI 5000 instead. I have made the low carb Magic Rolls with the WPI 5000 and I loved the hearty wheat taste of it. I just don't see the point in making bread if it doesn't taste like bread. lol
I would love to try the 5000 but I do not have any.
Anita's Web Page
Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #21
dianafoot
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I made a very similar bread called "cheese bread" from lowcarbyum's site. She uses a little whey protein isolate, almond flour, coconut flour, & Parmesan cheese, as well as the mozzarella, cream cheese, butter, and eggs. I tweaked it by replacing a little bit of the 3 flours with 2 Tbsp of oat fiber and 1 tsp of the baking powder with baking soda and a tsp of vinegar. It was really, really good!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #22
replay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
WOE: Keto/LCHF/IF/insulin resistance reversal
I made this recipe and liked it a lot.

I didn't use whey protein powder and it sank after cooling. Next time I will use whey.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #23
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by replay View Post
I made this recipe and liked it a lot.

I didn't use whey protein powder and it sank after cooling. Next time I will use whey.
Last time I made it, towards the end I covered it with aluminum foil so it didn't brown to much. After I checked to see if it was done all the way through I turned off the oven leaving the aluminum foil on top and just left it in there till the oven cooled. Didn't sink this time.
Anita's Web Page
Old 03-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
replay
Senior LCF Member

Anita, I didn't use oat fiber.

I was thinking of trying baking it in a sheet pan and cutting into squares for "slices" but I will try your tip......along with using whey.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #25
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

I have been making a loaf every week that works for me for breakfast. Last night I decided to use my food processor and was very happy with the results. I was having issues getting the cream cheese smooth enough with just a mixer even when I warmed it in the microwave. It was so easy.
Anita's Web Page
Old 03-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #26
replay
Senior LCF Member

I made the Original Soul Bread again to today and it turned out very nice this time. I used JRobb whey.

I watched the Cooking Keto with Kristy video and may make her variation next time.

Wet Ingredients
12 ounces of cream cheese, softened in the microwave
4 eggs
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup bacon fat melted
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Dry ingredients:
1 ¼ cup whey protein isolate (Isopure or Hoosier is recommended)
½ cup oat fiber
¼ tsp salt
1 package yeast (for taste)
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cream of tartar
Old 03-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #27
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

I make Kristie's but with VWG in place of the Oat Fiber
Anita's Web Page
Old 03-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #28
replay
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
I make Kristie's but with VWG in place of the Oat Fiber
I made Kristie's version exactly as written using oat fiber and yeast. I didn't care for it. I thought it tasted slightly bitter and was dry. On the plus side the batter was airy/bubbly and rose nicely. It was actually too much batter for my regular size loaf pan. However, one end of the loaf had an air hole in it.

I think the key to any version of this recipe is not over mixing when incorporating dry ingredients into wet so be careful with this step.

It could be my taste buds but I cut the loaf into cubes and used it in a bread pudding recipe with cinnamon/nutmeg and it still tasted not so great.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #29
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I made Kristie's version exactly as written using oat fiber and yeast. I didn't care for it. I thought it tasted slightly bitter and was dry. On the plus side the batter was airy/bubbly and rose nicely. It was actually too much batter for my regular size loaf pan. However, one end of the loaf had an air hole in it.

I think the key to any version of this recipe is not over mixing when incorporating dry ingredients into wet so be careful with this step.

It could be my taste buds but I cut the loaf into cubes and used it in a bread pudding recipe with cinnamon/nutmeg and it still tasted not so great.
I made Kristie's soul Bread on Monday. Her recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oats fiber. Instead I use 1/4 cup oat fiber and 1/4 cup WPI 8000. I agree it was very very Airy and fluffy. I had a problem, The last five loaves I made it I left the bread stay in the oven until it was cool. This helped it not fall in the center. However the loaf I made on Monday had oozed up all through the center and wasn't done. I tried to fix it by putting it back in the oven even though it was completely cool. It worked but the crust was fairly dark. It has a really good flavor but I'm not sure I should do it again
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 03-30-2016 at 12:08 PM..
Old 03-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #30
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:

Your description of your batter being bubbly and airy before baking makes me think the batter is over leavened. I haven't made this recipe yet because I questioned some of the ingredients and didn't want to have another fail to throw away.

A couple of things I questioned was the vinegar and the cream of tartar. I thought there was too much vinegar would reduce it to either 1 TBS or 1/2 TBS. That might help with the bitterness you're tasting.

I also questioned the use of cream of tartar. With the vinegar in the batter, there's no need for the cream of tartar. The baking soda has the vinegar to react to. Cream of tartar is usually added to batters to give baking soda something acid to react to if there isn't anything else acidic in the batter, like buttermilk or sour cream.

I also think the amount of baking soda is too small for the amount of vinegar. There's too little baking soda to neutralize the vinegar which is probably why you are tasting the bitterness. I think the baking soda could be increased (1/2 tsp) and the baking powder reduced (2 tsp).
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote