Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
My own unofficial experiment

So, I've had "prediabetes" for the last ten years with normal fasting sugars but A1c going up and down between 5.5 to 5.9 (last one was 5.7). Losing weight is not an option because I have a hard time staying above 100 lbs.; cutting carbs also didn't make much of a difference, so my doctor put me on 1000 mg Metformin ER which also hasn't seemed to make much difference. I ran out of test strips and just received them today, so I tested my blood sugar 2-1/2 hours after eating breakfast. I wasn't happy that I tested at 102. So, I decided to try something....I got on my stepper for six minutes, waited about ten minutes and tested my blood sugar again. It was 94. So....I guess exercise does help . I usually do 20 minutes on my stepper along with weights three days per week, but on alternate days, I'll now add a few minutes on the stepper after meals and see if that makes a big difference in my A1c.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Ronnie, my blood sugar usually goes up after exercise, but it is known to lower glucose levels over time and also lower A1c. I hope this helps for you. Exercising after meals is best I've heard.

I think the reason mine goes up is because exercise stresses the body, and stress raises blood sugar.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Carol, my blood sugar also goes up when I do a regular workout that lasts 40 to 55 minutes. But I only did six minutes so I guess my body wasn't stressed enough to drive up my blood sugar. I was going to do it again after dinner but I'm too lazy :-(.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I have only checked blood sugar after exercise a couple times, and it was usually a longer workout, like you found. We are encouraged to go for a walk after meals to help lower blood sugar, and that would probably be up to 15 minutes. You're on the right track. I am not always successful getting myself to do it, either, even though I know it's the right thing to do. I think it will definately show a difference in your A1c.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Carol!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
gojiberry
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gojiberry
Stats: 248/215/170
WOE: Basic Keto
Start Date: Late Sep. 2017
I've read that you can sometimes get a boost of blood glucose during exercise if there is anything left in your stores that can be flushed out. That is the purpose of storage in the liver and elsewhere, for when you are being chased by a tiger and can't stop running!

I've been on a keto diet now for about 8 weeks, and when I do check my blood sugar before and after an hour of cardio and it is usually lower afterward. I have seen it increase, but not very often and not any time in the last few weeks. What kills me is that I can never tell what it's going to be. Even if I worked harder and longer than normal, it seems totally random just how different it will be. Sometimes just a few points, sometimes as much as 20 lower. My morning reading is usually in the 70s or low 80s, and it dips down as low as 50 after exercise (or if I miss a meal).

Back many years ago, my mother was recovering from a bone marrow transplant and was told she had to lose the weight she had gained from all the crazy stuff they pumped into her body. It was basically: eat her fill (but not to excess) of whatever she liked, but walk for 30 minutes as quickly as she could after every meal. She lost all of the weight and was down to well below her weight prior to being diagnosed with leukemia.

Might be worth trying? It's kind of backwards to what you usually read (exercise during fasting and replenish afterward), but this was the diet provided to her by her oncologist. So, it wasn't just some random person recommending it.

Also, keep in mind that these little devices are not super accurate. If you get a reading that sounds suspicious, it may be worth checking again. I think my doctor said the real value should be +/- 10% within what you see on the screen.
gojiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info, gojiberry. I do hope your Mom is doing well now. It's so true how unpredictable blood sugar can be, even after eating the same food. Yesterday I random tested twice during the day and my readings were 91 and 84. Today when I random tested, it was 116. Too high, so I tested again an hour later, was 111. Barely budged. So I did 6 minutes on my stepper, waited a few minutes and tested again. This time it was 94. So, twice doing short, but steady exercise worked to bring down my BS, but this time it was several hours after eating...I guess around four. Had I exercised immediately after eating, I imagine my first random test would've been a lot lower than 116.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
gojiberry
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gojiberry
Stats: 248/215/170
WOE: Basic Keto
Start Date: Late Sep. 2017
So, this is an interesting tidbit. Prior to an hour of cardio in which I supposedly burned 651 kilocalories (heart rate sensor estimate), my blood sugar went from 63 to 60.

I've been largely doing 20g for about 2 months now, though, we did share a bottle of wine friday/saturday, so we might have topped that by a bit. So, I have no idea where the glucose is coming from. Perhaps when doing keto your muscles rely primarily on ketones? Either that, or what we do on our devices represents a LOT of calories per unit.

I have an appointment with my doctor in about 1 month...and I have so many questions. Of course, he'll probably scowl at the idea of the diet, despite the fact that everything that I can measure (weight, bp, blood sugar, BMI, heart rate, waist size) is much improved from the last time I saw him.
gojiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Medical doctors are not taught nutrition in medical school. My doctor told me that spoon size shredded wheat has no sugar so it won't spike my blood sugar. I knew he was wrong; a serving has around 41g of carbs, but I didn't argue with him.