Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Sassay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/181/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Can We Talk??

Okay, I am 68 years old and use to weigh 255 lbs. I lost down to 170 lbs (Up to 180 lbs today ). Here is my problem, stomach overhang & somewhat droopy thighs. No money for skin tightening. I can't do real strenuous exercise but I can exercise. Any suggestions to help with the loose skin?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Jack Kruse recommends cold thermogenesis for this, and it is free I guess if you have a bath.

You need to do lots of research on it, as you have to be relatively healthy, but there is some good info on his site and forum.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #3
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Stand on your head? Just joking of course. I have a very similar experience. I have given up worrying about it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Kimberli33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /172/155
Start Date: September 1 2017
I'm worried about having an apron due to three c sections. I have been reading a lot about excess skin issue due to weight loss. The one thing I keep seeing is fasting. I admit I don't understand the science behind it but fasting can shrink skin. There was a debate about skin shrinkage on another forum I visit and a Doctor there was arguing that there was no way except surgery to remove skin. She did finally admit fasting helps a lot. Although She was much more in favor of surgery.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
Spanx/shapewear.

I'm 52 and have lost about 35 lbs., I'm still carrying extra, and I've got the exact same problem. I'm at the stage where desire to lose weight is competing against desire to NOT deal with more crepey(sp?) skin and new wrinkles and sags.

Unfortunately, the loss of collagen and elastin in our skin means things just don't bounce back after a certain age. I have heard that nonsurgical skin tightening can help, using a laser to raise the temperature in the deep dermal levels, but I have no idea of the cost.
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Cardio and exercise is a must for body reshaping and tightening. I know many don't want to hear that answer. Exercising is just as hard as losing weight and eating healthy. It is a daily commitment.
Puppy love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
valentine319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012, Restarting 3/8/16
Has anyone tried the brushing and dry brushing technique?

Started 8/15/12, restarted 2/18/16
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/139/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy love View Post
Cardio and exercise is a must for body reshaping and tightening. I know many don't want to hear that answer. Exercising is just as hard as losing weight and eating healthy. It is a daily commitment.
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/140/128 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassay View Post
Okay, I am 68 years old and use to weigh 255 lbs. I lost down to 170 lbs (Up to 180 lbs today ). Here is my problem, stomach overhang & somewhat droopy thighs. No money for skin tightening. I can't do real strenuous exercise but I can exercise. Any suggestions to help with the loose skin?
Hi,

You might want to consider 36 hour fasts twice a week and add in either yoga, Pilates or Callanetics as an exercise program (al three are non-impact, non-aerobic but effective exercise programs).

I'm a believer in fasting and the resultant autophagy for preventing lose skin while losing weight. I also know that people do report improvements after the fact with fasting improving baggy excess skin. I'm now 65 and have lost close to 60 pounds this year through fasting. My skin is actually smoother, softer, and tighter than it was before I started (breasts too for that matter).

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
QueenBacon
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/159/135
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
dry brushing, cupping, and deep tissue massage (fascia blasting)
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
Sassay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/181/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Thanks everyone!! I did a 36 hour fasts twice a week last week & lost 2 lbs. I'm doing the same thing this week. We will see.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:13 AM   #12
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Sassy are you trying to lose weight or help with excess skin? Cause weight loss creates the excess skin? The more you lose the more excess skin you will have.
Puppy love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/110/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I always think of Andrea's blockbusting post

I am PROUD of my ugly body because...

on her site

imperfect life

As for me, I have excess skin. You'd only know it from certain positions but in those positions, yeah - it's conventionally hideous, hanging down in a bifurcated curtain. I'm not often in that position unless I'm working out and I'm pretty much covered (tho' nothing will ever persuade me to wear compression garments unless I need it for joint support).

I have a substantial wattle and double chin - but I have those irrespective of what weight I am as it seems to be a family thing.

If you have inherited some things or of an age when it's unlikely you're going to tighten everything back in, then I don't think it's practical without surgery. I don't see how the excess skin around my middle is ever going to fit me again, particularly as an accident meant that I lost some height in my long bones and my spine - so I literally have excess skin from those.

To be clear, I don't plan to have surgery to remove the skin - if it bothered me more, or if the skin round my middle were more of an apron and needed lots of extra special care to stop skin infections setting in there, then I might reconsider this.

Last edited by SlowSure; 10-03-2017 at 08:45 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/139/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I always think of Andrea's blockbusting post

I am PROUD of my ugly body because...

on her site

imperfect life

As for me, I have excess skin. You'd only know it from certain positions but in those positions, yeah - it's conventionally hideous, hanging down in a bifurcated curtain. I'm not often in that position unless I'm working out and I'm pretty much covered (tho' nothing will ever persuade me to wear compression garments unless I need it for joint support).

I have a substantial wattle and double chin - but I have those irrespective of what weight I am as it seems to be a family thing.

If you have inherited some things or of an age when it's unlikely you're going to tighten everything back in, then I don't think it's practical without surgery. I don't see how the excess skin around my middle is ever going to fit me again, particularly as an accident meant that I lost some height in my long bones and my spine - so I literally have excess skin from those.

To be clear, I don't plan to have surgery to remove the skin - if it bothered me more, or if the skin round my middle were more of an apron and needed lots of extra special care to stop skin infections setting in there, then I might reconsider this.
Girl if you could see all of my loose hanging skin, it might make you cry I don't chose to spend my day's dwelling on it. I am just enjoying the New Life and New Health that Weight Loss has given me!!!! If we spend our time dwelling on all the things in life that might happen or might go wrong, we forget how to live.
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #15
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
All I can say about this is...We should have thought about that before we allowed ourselves to gain all this weight. I know that's harsh, but it's the truth. I feel if I was not upset about being so fat, why should I be upset about the loose skin? I can't afford surgery, and to be honest, I don't like pain!! And the recovery is painful.

I think some people will have more loose skin than others. Heredity has a lot to do with it. Just do the best you can, and SMILE!! Then people won't notice your loose skin.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
trishthedish
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 282/180/141
WOE: Atkins & IF
Start Date: Re-Induction 3.17.17@253lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
All I can say about this is...We should have thought about that before we allowed ourselves to gain all this weight. I know that's harsh, but it's the truth. I feel if I was not upset about being so fat, why should I be upset about the loose skin? I can't afford surgery, and to be honest, I don't like pain!! And the recovery is painful.

I think some people will have more loose skin than others. Heredity has a lot to do with it. Just do the best you can, and SMILE!! Then people won't notice your loose skin.

If I had spent my entire adult life abusing my body with alcohol or cigarettes or drugs, I would have permanent physical damage to contend with. If I can emerge from a life of obesity with the only physical side effect being loose skin, I can live with that... Literally!

Proud member of the 100 Pound Club
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
Avellaneda
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Avellaneda
Stats: 140/100/110. 5'0' 49yrs
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Dec. 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post

A great post reminding us to keep perspective.
Avellaneda is offline   Reply With Quote