Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #31
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
Your description of your batter being bubbly and airy before baking makes me think the batter is over leavened. I haven't made this recipe yet because I questioned some of the ingredients and didn't want to have another fail to throw away.

A couple of things I questioned was the vinegar and the cream of tartar. I thought there was too much vinegar would reduce it to either 1 TBS or 1/2 TBS. That might help with the bitterness you're tasting.

I also questioned the use of cream of tartar. With the vinegar in the batter, there's no need for the cream of tartar. The baking soda has the vinegar to react to. Cream of tartar is usually added to batters to give baking soda something acid to react to if there isn't anything else acidic in the batter, like buttermilk or sour cream.

I also think the amount of baking soda is too small for the amount of vinegar. There's too little baking soda to neutralize the vinegar which is probably why you are tasting the bitterness. I think the baking soda could be increased (1/2 tsp) and the baking powder reduced (2 tsp).
I thought it airy and bubbly because of the yeast
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #32
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
I thought it airy and bubbly because of the yeast
I'm assuming it's the baking soda/vinegar combo causing the bubbly and airyness of the batter since this effect is similar to what happens after mixing up a pancake or waffle batter that stands while being cooked in batches. Also, it doesn't seem like the yeast has enough time to start produce gases to cause rise since the batter is mixed quickly and then baked.
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #33
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
I'm assuming it's the baking soda/vinegar combo causing the bubbly and airyness of the batter since this effect is similar to what happens after mixing up a pancake or waffle batter that stands while being cooked in batches. Also, it doesn't seem like the yeast has enough time to start produce gases to cause rise since the batter is mixed quickly and then baked.
I bought the fast kind that you put in dry. It did seem to rise better with the mix of oat fiber and WPI 8000 but my center didn't get done. (I believe this was totally my fault) I will make sure that I check it next time before turning the oven off. I never taste one bit of bitterness. I also did not over mix but did add all the leavening and the apple cider vinegar at the last moment and stirred it through gently
Anita's Web Page
Old 03-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #34
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Ok Skeeter, the first time you made this was with WPI 8000. And then you 've made a couple of other variations.................which do you like the best??
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #35
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Ok Skeeter, the first time you made this was with WPI 8000. And then you 've made a couple of other variations.................which do you like the best??
I have made it plain (just whey protein powder as the original was written) I didn't like the taste at all

Then made it with VWG and Kristie Hunnecuts cooking keto with Kristie recipe subbing the oat fiber with VWG. I made this three times and liked it.

Then my order from netrition came which was 2 bags of WPI 8000 and one bag Oat fiber

Still using Kristie's version......

Made one loaf with WPI 8000 and loved it

Made my last one with half Oat Fiber 1/4 cup and half WPI 8000 1/4 cup. Here is where I noticed a difference in the batter. The batter made exactly the same as before was now very fluffy and airy immediately and looked different than before. I baked it the same 45 minutes and instead of checking I just covered the top with aluminum foil as I had done 4 times previously and let it cool in the oven. When I removed it, I was shocked that the center had oozed up in a line all the way the length of the loaf and it was still very wet. So I had no choice but put it back in the oven even though the loaf was completely cool and baked it for 10 minutes and it was still wet and another 10 minutes and it was done but the crust was really dark. So next time I will definitely check first before turning off the oven. Flavorwise I think this one was the best.

I am am thinking of next time trying it with just the Oat fiber and no WPI 8000. (WPI 8000 is suppose to be zero carbs)
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 04-01-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #36
cgarza
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Kristie's Soul Bread

I made the modified Kristie's Soul Bread this morning and it is FANTASTIC.
I used butter flavored coconut oil for greasing the pans and for 1/2 of the bacon fat.

The recipe made
  • one plain medium size loaf, and
  • one small cinnamon pecan loaf (I added cinnamon and liquid sucralose to the dough, then topped with Swerve, cinnamon, butter, and pecans before baking).

I did not use any low carb brown sugar Kristie did.

Both loaves turned out PERFECT! And they both taste wonderful.

Thanks Kristie! Here's her modified recipe below:

Wet Ingredients
12 ounces of cream cheese, softened in the microwave
4 eggs (can use 3 jumbo)
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup bacon fat melted
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Dry ingredients:
1 ¼ cup whey protein isolate (Isopure or Hoosier is recommended)
½ cup oat fiber
¼ tsp salt
1 package yeast (for taste)
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 ½ tsp baking powder

Mix eggs and softened cream cheese with mixer. Add in remaining wet ingredients. Mix well.

Mix all dry ingredients together well.

SIFT dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir lightly and gently just until well mixed.

Bake in greased loaf pan/s 325 about 45 minutes or until done.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #37
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
O I have to try this one. Have you seen where Brenda Bennett made hot dog rolls out of this batter.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #38
cgarza
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Esther,
Can you post a link to the Soul bread hot dog buns? I don't think I saw that. I did a quick search but couldn't find it.
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 PM   #39
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
i've made several-several variations to this recipe including kristie's and i still can't take the taste. it was dry, eggy and spongy. i'm willing to try skeeters version with either wpi 8000.
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #40
rachel2writer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 265/206/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Dec 2014
I made the original soul bread recipe for the first time yesterday and REALLY like it - way more than cloud bread. I toasted up a slice with butter to go with my breakfast today.
3rd Goal: 175 (no longer obese)
Final Goal: 150

http://rachelrbs.blogspot.com/
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #41
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarza View Post
Esther,
Can you post a link to the Soul bread hot dog buns? I don't think I saw that. I did a quick search but couldn't find it.
Thanks!
I looked it up and it is cloud bread hot dog rolls. Sorry I used "All day I Dream About Food " soul bread recipe into hot dog rolls. If you want that one give me a holler.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #42
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Anyone still experimenting with this? I made "all day I dream about food" version into rolls and they were great.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #43
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Ok, so was looking at the Soul Bread FB site. And I saw the inventor of the recipe say something about now using oat fiber and """gelatin"". She says the gelatin will give moistness. But I've googled and read and read and I can't see a recipe for the gelatin. Wondering how much gelatin per recipe...............anyone know?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #44
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Rosethorns............how did you shape your hot dog rolls?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #45
alertp
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alertp
Alternate Soul Bread

I know this forum thread is about a recipe which I tried to make once, which I agree generally with most protein powder based breads is quite dense. This deals with the fact that whey protein though it provides awesome structure for baking does turn a bit 'spongee' and dense and usually the use of some of the 'nut flours' also does the same. They generally create baked goods that make great for cookies and the like (dense stuff). To get rise, you need to use light ingredients, whey protein does satisfy this to some extent. After ALOT of experimentation, and the purchase of a bread maker (which was a sort of 'it would be nice to have' purchase). I have been able to create something that 'works' for bread and has minimal carbs. I will warn however it does has high levels of fiber (insoluable) which should not be processed by the body generally. (our gut bacteria can digest it but in small quantities). It his however extremely low in calories (and is probably close to what the low carb baking companies use).

WPI 8000 is what I have been using but due to cost, I have debated using vital wheat gluten, as I'm currently figuring out 'how low' the carbs I need to make it as.

For approximately small (.5-1) pound of bread...
6 tbsp of WPI 8000
6 tbsp of oat fiber
2 teaspoons of yeast
0.25 tsp of salt
10 tbsp of water

You put that in your bread maker, set it for the smallest loaf of 'normal' bread you can.

I would scrape the sides once during the beginning of the process with something just so that it incorporates well. The water amount seems to be the variable here, sometimes it's too little, sometimes too much. You will notice the dough look more like 'mud' if it's too much water, if it's too little, it'll look 'wierd' it'll seperate into little clumps but never adhere together.

A little more foolproof is to add 2 tbsp of psyllium husk, this will bind and force the creation of dough quicker, but it'll dry out more (requiring additional water (about 4 tablespoons more)).

I've never had good attempting at baking in an oven... after about 2 hours in the breadmaker you will have perfectly good dough.
using the dough setting on my bread maker I made the dough, beat it down and stretched it and made good pizza... it's better then I think even the commercial no/low carb companies out there.

The only negative I will say is.. it does have a slightly 'oat/paper' taste in the background. I imagine if you threw a little splenda or more salt (it might work out better). However, warning.. salt and yeast dislike each other in large amounts. (and no you don't need to add any sugar to this... I've tried it with and without, there is a slight improvement in the puffiness when you use a bit of sugar, but it's not neccessary).

For those counting, there is no explicit non-fiber carbs in this bread.. WPI 8000 is 95 percent protein, and oat fiber is 95-100 percent insoluable fiber, yeast does have minimal carbs (2 grams I believe). At this mix, the gluten is around 33 percent of weight/volume which makes it a very 'chewy' bread but it it works.. you can decrease the oat fiber amount and get a very italian/french bread but it'll be even tougher to chew. If you toast this bread, most of the chew goes away and it becomes quite awesome.

Last edited by alertp; 12-12-2016 at 01:39 PM..
alertp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #46
alertp
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alertp
Just figured, the above is a little off. I have been tinkering over the week or so off and came with a more realistic recipe:
6 TBSP of WPI 8000
1 TBSP of oat fiber
2 teaspoons of yeast
0.25 tsp of salt
8 TBSP of water

You can vary the yeast between 1 - 2 teaspoons if you'd like. I'd also recommend going to:
12 TBSP of WPI 8000
2 TBSP of oat fiber
1 TBSP of yeast
0.25 of salt
16 tbsp of water

Bread makers like a little more volume and that should 'auto mix' better without requiring any work on your part whatsoever. It makes for excellent bread that toasts very well too.
alertp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #47
watcher513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Ok, so was looking at the Soul Bread FB site. And I saw the inventor of the recipe say something about now using oat fiber and """gelatin"". She says the gelatin will give moistness. But I've googled and read and read and I can't see a recipe for the gelatin. Wondering how much gelatin per recipe...............anyone know?

If you open up her first thread about it, there are a few Alterations. Alteration #1 has the gelatin. It's in the Directions, about 5 lines down.