Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
VWG/Oat Fiber/Einkorn Mac N Cheese

So I think I stumbled on an Impastable Clone. I decided to play with my Phillips Pasta Maker today. Originally, I tried to make spaghetti. End result was not terrible, but was a bit too chewy for my liking and the texture was off. It reminded me of Impastable Pasta. So then I remembered that while I did not like the boiled Impastable, it made killer Mac N Cheese and other baked dishes. The noodles soften up when baked and the texture becomes a lot more like regular pasta. So I turned my spaghetti into baked mac and cheese and it was awesome!!

I used 1/3 cup Vital Wheat Gluten - 8 net carbs
1/3 cup Oat Fiber - 0 net carbs
1/3 cup Whole Wheat Einkorn Flour -13 net carbs

I can 2-3 servings out of this.

I'm going to add 00 Flour to this mix tomorrow and see what happens. The carbs will go up but if the boiled texture improves then it might be worth the extra carbs. I like Impastable for baked dishes but the price is a bit steep. Now I know how to make my own version!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I had a piece of the Mac N Cheese for breakfast and it was even better today. I had a small piece but was so full due to all the fiber. I used way too much cheese so its a bit greasy but I am really impressed with this pasta flour combo. I didn't calculate the carb count for the mac and cheese - I estimate 21 net carbs for the pasta by itself. I made a small pan of mac n cheese but this is so filling that I cut the entire pan of mac n cheese into 5 pieces. Of course the cheese and heavy cream I added to the mac n cheese will add some carbs as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-02-2017 at 08:20 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I am so disappointed that I made lasagna yesterday. I used Impastable and it came out amazing, but I had to make it clump a little to get that layered effect, and I would have much rather preferred real lasagna sheets. IT was SO good (I made the meat sauce in the pressure cooker, and now I'm a believer in all things Instant Pot) that I can see myself making lasagna at least once a month now, so I'll definitely give your recipe a go.

BTW, instead of boiling the pasta like we did for mac and cheese, I decided to boil some water in the microwave, add salt and let the Impastable sit for about five minutes. I found the texture to be perfect.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Great idea on the micro water....