Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Kevin's bread flour

Since I'm back to low carbing I'm trying to resurrect my old favorites. I have Kevin's flour mix recipe but I seem to remember that the wheat protein isolate 5000 and or 8000 changed causing a required change in the flour mix. I've searched trying to figure out what change needed to be made in the flour mix but can't find it. Anyone have the answer or can direct me to the right post?
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Yes, the formulation of the WPI 5000 manufactured by Lifesource Foods changed a few years ago, such that 1 T of the new version is equivalent to 2 T of the old version. I wrestled with this for awhile with regard to Kevin's final flour mix and how the change might impact his recipes. Because 1 cup of the new would not have the same proportions of ingredients as 1 cup of the old.

What I finally decided to do was to convert the ingredients in his mix to weights instead of volumes. So, for example, 1 cup of carbalose was 100 grams, and so on. But I cut the amount of WPI 5000 in half. Then I mixed up the equivalent of 1 cup of mix. It added up to 105 grams, and was a little less than a loosely packed cup of mix. (Side note: I discovered that the weight shown on the bag of RCS 260 was not right.)

So that's how I converted the mix. As for recipes, now I simply weigh out 105 g of mix when his recipes call for a cup. Easy to do on a digital scale, which is a must in LC baking. I do that for a couple of his bread recipes and it works just fine.

Welcome back to LC!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much. I loved the breads I got from his flour mix. They were so good I could pass them off as "real".
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2016
I'm glad Linda has answered your question...I think you got few responses, because there are so many versions of Kevin's various flours! I experimented with a number of versions when I came to LC WOE last summer. The ones I am happy with come from his Pita Bread Experiment thread, dated 10-19-2007.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...ead+experiment

Here are the two Kevinpa Flours I mix in bulk and keep on hand. Note that the only difference between his Bread Flour Mix and his Cake & Cookie Mix, is that the Bread Mix uses Carbalose, and the Cake & Cookie Mix uses Carbquik. The bread mix makes a more elastic dough - as for pizza. However, the C&C Mix makes a really nice soft dinner roll.

He posted for several years after this, but I quit looking after I got such good results with these two flour blends.

Kevinpa’s Bread Flour Mix
4 C. Carbalose - 408 grams
2 C. WPIsolate 5000 - 396
1/2 C. WPI. 8000 - 82
1 C. Almond Flour - 101
1/2 C. Res.Wh.Starch - 96
2 T. & 2 t. Thick It Up - 26
Makes 8 cups, 110 Gms. @ C.
Per Cup: 424 calories + 12 CBs

Kevinpa’s Cake & Cookie Mix

4 C. Carbquik - 408 grams
2 C. WPIsolate 5000 - 396
1/2 C. WPI. 8000 - 82
1 C. Almond Flour - 101
1/2 C. Res.Wh.Starch - 96
2 T. & 2 t. Thick It Up - 26
Makes 8 cups, 110 Gms. @ C.
Per Cup: 409 calories + 5.5 CBs
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

In my various experiments with bread, I came up with an outstanding recipe that uses a blend of Kevin's Bread Flour mix, and elements from another recipe. IMHO, it rises beautifully, is delicious, and very low calorie and low carb.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=886275
Old 02-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

So SunnyKsGirl, do you just ignore the changes and make up the flour as if there was no change in it? The mix you listed is the one I had been using when I fell off the wagon and into a big bag of carbs. I finally have all the ingredients from Netrition. Yay! Now I'm wondering if it will really make a difference or if I want to go to the trouble of weighing everything and mess with scaling etc. If I remember right the 5000 had to do with texture and I don't want to mess too much with that, but like LindaSL says, it was a 50% change.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Well, next time I make a batch, I'll reduce the WPI 5000 as Linda has done and see if there is any difference. But yes, I have had good results with the mixes I listed above.