Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hmm - Chewy Holdiday Squares - photo inside

CHEWY HOLDIAY BARS
These tasty, chewy squares are very satisfying. If you like, you could also add a couple of tablespoons of snipped raisins or dried apricots. Hope you enjoy these as much as my family did.

Crust:
1 cup GF Bake Mix, below (250 mL)
1/2 cup ground almonds (125 mL)
7 tbsp butter, melted (105 mL)
Topping:
8 oz cream cheese (250 g)
1/4 cup sour cream (50 mL)
1/2 cup SPLENDA® Granular (125 mL)
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (1 mL)
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (175 mL)
1/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular (50 mL)
6 oz sugar free chocolate chips (180 g)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, OR other nuts (125 mL)

Crust: In medium bowl, combine GF Bake Mix, ground almonds and melted butter. Press onto bottom of 13 x 9-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Bake at 350°F (180°C) 10 minutes.

Topping: In food processor, process cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Add SPLENDA® Granular, egg and vanilla extract; process until smooth. Spread evenly over crust. In small bowl, combine coconut and SPLENDA® Granular. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Sprinkle cream cheese layer with the mixture of sweetened coconut, chocolate chips and walnuts. Press into cream cheese layer slightly. Bake 17 minutes at 350°F (180°C).

Oops, I hit the wrong button and posted this before I was done! Here is the nutritional analysis:

Yield: 36 servings
1 serving
111.2 calories
2.2 g protein
9.1 g fat
2.3 g carbs

Lower-Fiber Low-Carb Gluten-Free Bake Mix (with flax meal and whey protein)

1 3/4 cups almond flour
1 cup certified gluten-free oat flour
1/2 cup vanilla or plain whey protein
2 tbsp flax meal
1 tsp Xantahn gum

Yield: 3 cups, 1/4 cup per serving
128.7 calories; 7.1 g protein; 8.0 g fat; 5.3 g carbs

Helpful Hints: You can use any bake mix of mine for the crust.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 12-13-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Mackenzie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mackenzie
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/13/05
These look sinful Jenn...thanks for the recipe..
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Man I bet those are good with a cuppa coffee! THANKS, Jen!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
mac24312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
These look great Jen..

I might have to make them this week sometime
Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
BeckyM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyM
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I have all the ingredients to make this. Possibly tonight.
BeckyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
SmileySue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Oh Jen!!!! You have just made my day!!

Every year around the holidays, I get to craving a cranberry coconut bar (not LC) that I used to enjoy. I'm betting the addition of a handful of cranberries would make this a perfect substitute for me! You are amazing!!

"Life is short, break the rules, forgive sooner, love with true love, laugh without control and always keep smiling.
Maybe life is not the party that we were expecting, but in the meantime, we're here and we can still dance....."
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
EveH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Wow, I am saving that for maintenance. Can't trust myself to eat just one and I have a long way to go yet. Thanks. Maybe I will make these for my Victory celebration when I reach goal. : )

I made Goal on 6-12-11
New Goal....... 120
DH: 230/187/180
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Beeb
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: OMG, SERIOUSLY?!
WOE: Eating healthy, eating LC, and portion control
Start Date: The Day Low Carb Became a WOE and NOT A DIET!!!!!
These look sinful!!! Thanks Jen!

Now I have a few questions, please. If we were to use another sweetener with zero carbs it would lower the carbs on these bars even more, correct? And can we make this with your regular bake mix and if so wouldn't that lower the carbs even more since oat flour has carbs?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Beeb; 12-13-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

They are not too sinful, MacKenzie! I didn't gain weight with them, but I did testing about 3 batches of chocolate chip cookies recently with different gluten-free bake mixes. It catches up with me too.

Anyway, yes, Linda with my regular low-carb bake mix and no carb sweeteners, these bars would be 1.1 g carbs each. Good point! Since I'm on this gluten-free quest at the moment (I don't need to be gluten-free myself, nor does anyone in my family) most of my desserts will be gluten-free from now on, but don't worry, I will indicate when our regular bake mix options can be used and perhaps I should give the carb count too. I guess that is only fair. I did mention at the bottom of the recipe in a Helpful Hints that one could use any bake mix of choice. This gluten-free bake mix is pretty low-carb considering my low-carb bake mix is 3.3 g per 1/3 cup - so 9.9 g per cup and for the other 21.2 g carbs per cup - okay, so double, but not bad for gluten-free. Almost all gluten-free flours are high-carb and the gluten-free bake mixes on the market are high-carb.

A note about the flax in the bake mix: I added it to mitigate any dryness in the baking caused by the whey protein.

I'm trying to help people these days that are low-carb and gluten-free. There are not a whole lot of choices for folks wanting to use a low-carb bake mix in place of flour to take the guess work out of things. We have Carbquik, Carbalose flour, Kevin's bake mixes and my bake mixes and probably others, so we're doing fine, but think of the poor folks who can't have any of those options. They could probably use soy flour, but many don't want to for fear of interfering with thyroid function.

Char, yep - with a cup of tea too. So keep that pot of tea especially for me for when I finally come visit you, or maybe you will visit me first! I like coffee occasionally and it is such a treat for me (especially in the malls, I love love Cappuccino), but it can bring on migraines if I drink it every single day, so I've always been a tea drinker. Ian prefers coffee most of the time. I love classic Earl Grey loose leaf tea from Britain, but also enjoy flavored teas like Peach, Raspberry, Eggnog, Orange Ginger Spice, Chai, Vanilla and Cherry to name a few. My son, Jonathan, who was such a coffee snob (i.e. no one else, in his opinion, in our family knows how to make coffee) has surprised me by switching to tea in the last few months.

Eve, I absolutely admire your resolve. You will be successful. Squirrel the recipe away for that occasion when you know others will help you eat the dessert.

SmileySue, you never fail to bring a smile to my face! What a joy you must be to your family and friends! Absolutely, I think you can add cranberries - maybe chop them in the food processor first - you would not need a huge amount and they would be so pretty and festive. Let me know if you make them.

You guys too, Becky and Christine, let me know if you do make them. Cool.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 12-14-2010 at 07:22 AM..
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Here are the ingredients for the Low-Carb Bake Mix

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (or plain)
(sweetened with sucralose, i.e. Splenda)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten

In large tupperware-type container with lid, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Replace lid and shake until all ingredients are well combined. This recipe may be doubled or tripled, so that one always has bake mix on hand. I keep it at room temperature in the container for months, but it may be kept in the refrigerator or freezer as well.

Nutritional Analysis: 1/3 cup
162.9 calories; 14.3 g protein; 10.3 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Let's see, some people feel the whey proteins are too expensive. The one I get from Netrition is not too badly priced - ProBlend55, Alpine Vanilla. They are expensive, but last a long time, especially if one does not bake very frequently. They also keep really well for ages at room temperature.

Instead of the vanilla whey protein, unsweetened plain whey protein can be substituted, especially for savory applications. Instead of the whey, you could use coconut flour, golden flax meal, ground walnuts, Carbalose flour, oat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, soy flour (these last three have more or less the same number of carbohydrate grams) or any flour you desire.

Some people balk at the idea of ground almonds, thinking perhaps that is the most expensive part of the bake mix. 2/3 cups of the ground almonds could be replaced by any of the above suggestions. Let me know if you think of something else. Ground almonds can be replaced by any ground nuts of your choice.

There you have some flexibility with this bake mix. Have fun!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Beeb
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: OMG, SERIOUSLY?!
WOE: Eating healthy, eating LC, and portion control
Start Date: The Day Low Carb Became a WOE and NOT A DIET!!!!!
Thanks, Jen! I hate to mess with recipes, especially yours, because they are always so good as written, thus the reason for asking about the subs. Love the fact that the carb count will be lower, means I can eat MORE!!

Glad to hear that the subs won't effect what looks like an amazing yummy!!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

I understand, Linda. I hope it is as good. I wonder a bit about the no carb sweeteners, but taste and see as you make it.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
graciejean
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
I am going to try these,yummy
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Great, Honeybuns. Hope you like them.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
SmileySue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
I made these with the addition of the cranberry and they were absolutely divine!! Just what I was looking for!! Thank you Jen Even the non-LC'ers in my house loved them.

"Life is short, break the rules, forgive sooner, love with true love, laugh without control and always keep smiling.
Maybe life is not the party that we were expecting, but in the meantime, we're here and we can still dance....."
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
maizenbluebabe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maizenbluebabe
Stats: 182.0/168.4/150
WOE: LowCarb, JUDDD
Start Date: June 08
MY CHRISTMAS GIFT TO MYSELF

So, I have been such a very very good girl this year that I told dear old Santa and he said, "Yes, Sally you have been an absolute saint this year, and yes indeedy you deserve THE VERY BEST--something really really special--something even more valuable than a new Beamer convertible and much more useful than a diamond tiara. You have my permission to choose something you will treasure forever!"

So just because I deserve the best, I went to Amazon and got myself ALL of Jenn's amazing cookbooks. We are having a big New Years Eve wing-ding this year and it looks like I am going to have to put up a sign saying "Deliciousness Provided By Jennifer Eloff"

Ah, Jenn, you are such a blessing to all who have the privilege of knowing you and enjoying your delightful culinary talents

And may ALL your days truly be merry and bright.
maizenbluebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
RVcook
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by maizenbluebabe View Post
So, I have been such a very very good girl this year that I told dear old Santa and he said, "Yes, Sally you have been an absolute saint this year, and yes indeedy you deserve THE VERY BEST--something really really special--something even more valuable than a new Beamer convertible and much more useful than a diamond tiara. You have my permission to choose something you will treasure forever!"

So just because I deserve the best, I went to Amazon and got myself ALL of Jenn's amazing cookbooks. We are having a big New Years Eve wing-ding this year and it looks like I am going to have to put up a sign saying "Deliciousness Provided By Jennifer Eloff"

Ah, Jenn, you are such a blessing to all who have the privilege of knowing you and enjoying your delightful culinary talents

And may ALL your days truly be merry and bright.
I think you're really going to enjoy those books!

I have all of her books and her recipes are spot on. I love her stuff

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
pooticus
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow o wow!!! These look like another hit Jennifer!!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

SmileySue - so happy to hear that! I'm so happy they turned out great for you and your family. Thanks for trying the recipe.

Pooti - thx.

Donna - you and Maizenbluebabe made my night! Thank you so much!! Maizenbluebabe, you are very creative in your writing - you ought to write something, like a book! Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I knew Donna briefly years ago when she was traveling with her hubby in an RV all over the USA. Donna managed to bake in her oven in the RV. Like me, she loves baking. She contacted me about making a really good Italian-style pizza crust. Donna came up with a pizza crust that I shared in the pizza crust sticky at the top of this room screen (how does one say that?! lol). I gave her credit as per usual, but little did I know that Donna would actually spot that recipe here as I had not heard from her in years. Donna has now settled down - somewhere lovely no doubt. Donna is now going to help me with my new gluten-free bake mixes which I put in my blog for now, but will probably put in the gluten-free room sometime when they are finalized. She is going to test some of them for me and give me some feedback. Thank you, Donna. I really appreciate it very much. If I write any more cookbooks, you'll be a recipient for sure.

Anyway I do realize something and that is that I must cater to not just gluten-free folks and not just to the rest of us, but to all of us. So, I'm going to have to make my recipes more flexible and more inclusive. Actually I have Beeb (Linda) to thank for that and my DH. They've opened my eyes lately. It'll be more work for me, but doable. Thanks, Linda!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
creativelc
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Thanks for this recipe... I made these bars yesterday, and they are delicious! I especially appreciate that they are gluten free.

Since we had brownies recently, I added chopped dried cherries in place of the chocolate chips. The sour cream in the filling gave it such a nice tangy flavor. We loved them! They are as good as they look in the picture.
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:08 AM   #21
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for your encouragement, Creativelc. I'm happy you liked them. Your version sounds really nice too.