Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
ravenrose

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
REAL Miracle Noodles

I've been experimenting with shredded daikon radish in lieu of noodles in various things. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Shred by hand using the coarse side of the grater or in your food processor. Cook only VERY lightly. The radish/turnip flavor disappears the moment they get really warmed through, and it's better not to let them get too soft. The texture is more satisfying with a little bite than mushy.

I first boiled them in water briefly and drained, like pasta, thinking that would remove the radish/turnip flavor. I made a mac/cheese dish with them.

It was so good, I next tried just mixing the raw shredded daikon with the other ingredients for a tuna noodle casserole and microwaved it till it got firm in the middle. (bound with some mayo and an egg, garlic, and some parmesan cheese)

WOW. My husband and I could have seriously oinked out on this if I had made more than I did...

I tried it with a similar dish with canned salmon and gouda cheese, binding with a bit of cream cheese and an egg, seasoned just with garlic. It was quite good but not quite up to the tuna one.

I think this is very versatile. I'm sure it would be terrific in a cup of hot chicken broth as a super low carb chicken noodle soup snack.

The carb count is 2 grams net for 3 ounces, just a little more than regular radishes because the water content is somewhat lower.

As an aside, grated daikon also makes terrific "slaw." I have dressed it with a sesame oil/soy sauce dressing or a vinaigrette flavored with a bit of orange or lime oil, like I use for cabbage. some chopped green onion tops and perhaps a few slivers of colorful bell peppers makes a terrific side dish.

Last edited by ravenrose; 11-05-2010 at 10:24 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Ravenrose: Oh yummy..I have a mandolin that might work with this..I also have a spiral cutter.

On the mac/cheese, you boiled them, then drained and baked them with cheese???

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
debkeversole
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
subscribing sounds yummy! wonder where i could get some diakon in this hick area! but going to look the next time i am in Knoxville
HCG start 351.2 DS14 339.2 DH 223.4
my facebook 179.75 miles DS1612.75 miles
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
healthylowcarbin
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Ravenrose...thanks so much for sharing the info!

I looked it up on the web because I'm not even sure what it looks like or where to find one. It seems to resemble a white carrot and can be found in asian markets.

I don't think I've ever seen one in a regular grocery but may have spotted one in a whole foods store

I found this info online:
Quote:
Nutrition Information - Daikon is very low in calories. A 3 ounce serving contains only 18 calories and provides 34 percent of the RDA for vitamin C. Rich in vitamin C, daikon contains active enzymes that aid digestion, particularly of starchy foods. Select those that feel heavy and have lustrous skin and fresh leaves.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
ravenrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthylowcarbin View Post
I don't think I've ever seen one in a regular grocery but may have spotted one in a whole foods store
yes the ones I get are HUGE, sometimes a foot and a half long and 2.5" diameter. but my grocery store is owned by a Chinese family, so it goes on sale sometimes.

I wouldn't say to trek around looking for it--this was more to know it would be good if you run into it. Many low carb vegetables work pretty well like this.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
sistertzu
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I have a vegetable peeler that cuts the daikon or any veggie into angel hair pasta. I try to get them as long as I can great to use for an cold asian noodle salad. Thanks for reminding me!

RIP Daisy Dog 1/26/1997 - 7/11/2012

Not every person knows how to love a dog, but every dog knows how to love a person.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
dollkey
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
Promise the radish taste goes away? I am so... afraid to try it because I really do not like it raw. I've had it as a salad with onions, vinegar and I don't know what else and I didn't like it. At all. But since this is pretty cheap around here, I might just give it a try.

Do you think it will work with tomato-based sauces too?
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
slbbw
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/170/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
On the last episode of "The Next Iron Chef", one of the chefs was making a dish that calls for rice noodles. Since he didn't have those, he made his noodles with.. ta da! Daikon Radish!!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
RR! This sounds so great! Ima gonna pick one up today!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
ravenrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollkey View Post
Promise the radish taste goes away? I am so... afraid to try it because I really do not like it raw. I've had it as a salad with onions, vinegar and I don't know what else and I didn't like it. At all. But since this is pretty cheap around here, I might just give it a try.

Do you think it will work with tomato-based sauces too?
I have been experimenting with a wide variety of cooked daikon dishes, and for me, the radish taste goes away completely.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
SmileySue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Ravenrose, thank you for sharing all of this with us!! I'm hoping to find a daikon when I'm shopping this evening. I can't wait to try some of your recipes!!

"Life is short, break the rules, forgive sooner, love with true love, laugh without control and always keep smiling.
Maybe life is not the party that we were expecting, but in the meantime, we're here and we can still dance....."
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote