Old 12-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Rosedale diet...for Doris, et al

Because of my medical issues, I have done so much medical research of most of the medical journals that my head is dizzy. I have been especially concerned about my high early morning blood sugars. If I hadn't eaten anything, where was the glucose coming from? Its after this research that I decided that the Rosedale diet is the most healthy diet to follow, esp if one is diabetic or is at risk of heart disease. If our bodies are insulin and leptin resistant (worse case of this is in a diabetic), our bodies attack the protein in our muscles and bones to burn as fuel. This is exactly what is happening when we have those high morning blood sugars after a night of fasting. And this is where the glucose is coming from. And of course, we are losing weight......muscle weight rather than fat weight. But in time, we will plateau out and stop losing. Leptin is the key hormone that directs fat burning.

I have also found that omega-3 fatty acids are one of the most important foods our bodies need and the most deficient in our diets. Because of this, I am taking 2T of Cod Liver oil each day for 3 weeks and then only 1T after that. In winter, I am doing the Cod Liver oil because of its vitamin D levels which are deficient in people who do not have enough sun exposure because of the latitude they live in. In May, I will switch to regular fish oil supplements. Always get any fish oil supplement that has vitamin E added to it to prevent it from oxidizing. I also take vitamin E supplement when I take the fish oil to help prevent oxidizing while it is being processed by my body.

Avoid any polyunsaturated fats (soy, sesame, sunflower, safflower, corn, cottonseed, peanut and margarine). They are worse than sat fats. They are very unstable and oxidize easily, causing toxic free radicals. Polyunsaturated fats have high omega-6 fatty acids and excess omega 6 fatty acids is very hazardous to our health.

Avoid sat fats that are in butter and meat from animals that are grain fed. These aren't as bad as the polyunsaturated fats. We should avoid these because they will interfere with our losing stored fat. Our stored fat is sat fat and sat fat is the hardest fat for our bodies to burn. If we want to lose weight, it is best to limit our intake of saturated fat. Cattle that is raised on grass have very little sat fat. But grain-fed cattle are high in sat fat. It is not a natural diet for them either and they take those grains and convert them to sat fat just like we do. A diet high in sat fats promotes insulin resistance and toxic by-products (ammonia and urea).

I'm using olive oil mostly and occasionally avocado, canola and nut oils for variety. Rosedale's goal is to get your body to burn fat ...to get it into fat-burning mode. He isn't worried about calories or amounts, as long as they are on the A list (low carb, high fiber veggies), with the exception of protein which he limits. He says that you can eat as much good fats as you want IF you do not eat sugar-forming foods with it, including fruits, dairy products (that have lactose and galactose in them) and excess protein. All these items turn to sugar. If the body has any sugar, it will burn that, store the fat and continue to be insulin and leptin resistant.

He also says that older people will be slower with results....lowering their leptin levels, and have to be very diligent in sticking with the diet and may need those extra supplements to aid their bodies. Eating excess protein raises our body temperature because it is the most thermogenic food and excess heat promotes aging. Also a high protein diet does not restore leptin sensitivity as well. And restoring our leptin sensitivity is key to permanent fat loss. On the Rosedale diet, I eat about 15 grams of protein with each meal.

Insulin and leptin resistance is caused by all types of sugars that enter our blood, not just glucose. It is unfortunate that labs only measure the one, because they all do the same thing to our bodies, and cause diabetes. In fact, there are some extra harm done by fructose (in fruits) and galactose (in milk). Researchers feed lab animals fructose to make them diabetic when testing anti-diabetic drugs.

When we have too much glucose in our system, it reacts with protein, called glycation. Glycation occurs at a higher rate in diabetics and causes premature aging....of the organs, skin (brown spots) and plaque in the arteries.

He does allow nonfat or low fat dairy products in limited quantities, such as goat cheese, and other soft cheeses such as non-fat ricotta, plus 1 T of parmesan. It has to be non-fat because otherwise, it is loaded with sat fat. After the 3 weeks, he allows limited non-fat yogurt without fruit, but only 1/2 cup twice a week. Milk is forever out because of the lactose and galactose. Yogurt is closely related to milk and contains lactose and galactose......which is why it raises blood sugar, but not as bad as milk though.

Goals:
To live each day the best I can

195/135/135

Last edited by Verleen; 12-12-2004 at 10:30 PM..
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2004, 03:33 AM   #2
oow-woo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oow-woo
Stats: 155/167.2!! /157/135 5'3.5" 56y.o.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/99
Bumping this one, Verleen Too much good information here to let this one get "lost".....
I just mentioned to Betty (on the Roll call thread), about you and your little 'Rosedale' experiment. I think it sounds like a really good idea, especially since you've been at a total loss for the cause of those early a.m. b.sugars.
I do not have diabetes, (although I must say that last year, my endo was concerned about my "higher end" fasting blood sugars). I usually run between 100-105 in the a.m. -fasting--I guess for some folks this can be a 'sign' of Pre-diabetes. Since our dd has had juvenile (type 1) diabetes since the age of 6 and my grandfather and several of my mother's cousins also had type 2, I suppose I need to watch this too.

Hopefully some of the diabetic folks will see your post!
Please keep us all informed of your progress!

Carol
oow-woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
Kathy4HIM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy4HIM
Stats: 271.5/256.2/170
WOE: low carb
Start Date: re-start Jan. 2007
I have read through this.

I am a type II diabetic and really struggling right now.

Do I understand this correctly in that beef etc. is to be avoided and butter is to be avoided etc . ? I don't always "get it" when I read such stuff (especially nowadays).........

Is there a book that this info came from?

TIA

Kathy
Kathy4HIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:55 AM   #4
BeachyWoman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeachyWoman
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2003
That is really food for thought. I'm sending this on to my DD who is diabetic. Thanks for the info Verleen.
BeachyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Kathy and Carol. Kathy, I found out about this diet through my research and after I learned all about the science behind what ails me. I bought the book The Rosedale Diet by Ron Rosedale, MD. Dr. Rosedale is a metabolism expert and treats diabetics and people with other diet related illnesses in his clinic in Denver, CO. I have talked to his Nutritionist on the phone at length......and at no charge. They are willing to help people. There are a million diets out there and how do we know which ones are okay and are not. Many diets can help you lose weight, but do they do it in a healthy way? Many do not. The Rosedale diet is a diet designed to restore health to our bodies, rather than to lose weight. The weight loss is just a by-product of eating healthier. In my research, I found that many diets that enable you to lose weight may be doing it in an unhealthy way. I have been losing weight, but my morning blood sugars remained very high. In fact, when plotting out my weight loss with my blood sugars over time, there is a correlation between between them. I had to find out in medical terms what was going on. I am a diabetic and insulin and leptin resistant and both these hormones work in consert with each other in metabolizing food and what our bodies do with the food. In diabetics, the body does not easily burn stored fat. If glucose is not available through what we are eating, the body turns to protein and bone. All those early morning high blood sugars are due to only one thing: my body was taking my muscles and bone and converting them into glucose for fuel.

I will keep adding new information to this thread to explain some of the science on metabolism.

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 12-13-2004, 06:28 AM   #6
Kathy4HIM
Junior LCF Member

Ok...Verleen.....I am trying to understand this.

I have done research in the past on high b/g readings first thing in the morning and it seemed to be the prevalent concensus that this was the "dawn phenomenon". Have you heard of that? I had never heard it suggested that my body was taking muscle and bone etc.......

Here is a list of things I got this morning by searching for dawn phenomenon on Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...n&btnG=Search/ I hope that link comes through okay here.

I want so very much to figure out what is going to work best for my diabetes. I am racing the clock so to speak.

Kathy
Old 12-13-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Kathy, the 'dawn effect' is just a little catch all phrase that describes exactly what I have explained. I researched to find out what is causing the dawn effect. Non-diabetics don't have these high morning blood sugars. Our diabetic bodies are used to having a higher level of glucose. After fasting all night when we sleep, our body, or specifically, our liver, via hormones and enzymes, goes into our muscles and bone to get that glucose.

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 12-13-2004, 06:44 AM   #8
Kathy4HIM
Junior LCF Member

Verleen...thank you for being so kind and so patient with all my questions.

Now, is this Rosedale diet supposed to do away with the dawn phenomenon for those diabetics who have it (as I do)?

Also, Verleen, are you on insulin? Oral meds? Or able to control with diet etc?

Thanks again!

Kathy
Old 12-13-2004, 07:32 AM   #9
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Kathy, when I talked to Dr. Rosedale's nutritionist. She said to do the diet for the first three weeks, just as the book describes, including the supplements. By the end of the 3 weeks, I will lose the dawn effect and probably not need any diabetes meds. Of course, I monitor my blood sugars all day long and I am checked by my doctor......but I am now in charge of my health and doing so much better now. I take oral meds......I use to take 5 pills a day, the max. I am now down to 1 a day with sugars running below 100 and often around 80, except for the early morning sugars. I just started the Rosedale diet and haven't been able to follow it religiously as yet. Too much going on here. I will keep everyone informed as to how things are going.

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 12-14-2004, 05:04 AM   #10
Kathy4HIM
Junior LCF Member

Could you write out a Rosedale diet menu for a day or two.....let me see what it looks like? And what supplements do you take? No way can I buy another book right now. TIA

Kathy
Old 12-14-2004, 05:54 AM   #11
oow-woo
Junior LCF Member

Kathy- figured I'd post the allowed foods for you until Verleen sees this and can give you a sample menu (I don't know enough about food amounts and such as yet).

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...light=Rosedale

HTH
Carol
Old 12-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #12
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Kathy. The Rosedale diet does not have the same very specific structure as LFL. Basically, its 3 meals a day, plus snacks when you are hungry. Snacks are not protein though, except for the protein that is in nuts. On this WOE, you should not be hungry. Eat the amounts of the non-protein items to fill you. The goal is to lower your leptin resistance and the excessive amount of leptin in your blood. High levels of leptid in your blood is what makes you hungry. Once your leptin resistance is removed, your liver and hormone system will start directing your body to use your stored fats and leave your muscle and bone alone.....and viola! We start losing weight.......real weight because we are burning our stored fats.

With all three meals, you should be using vegetables from the A list. I've made scrambled eggs with spinach, a small amount of feta cheese, for example. Saute the spinach first to the desired doneness. Then add the whipped eggs (no milk added) and feta cheese. You do not want to overcook the egg yolks because you will destroy the good vitamins in them. Cook until just set.

In addition to the link that Carol provided, I'll add some recipes when I find time. I have noticed that some of the recipes have a small amount of butter or clarified butter in them. Rosedale does allow some of these after the 3 weeks, but only in very limited amounts on a weekly basis because of the sat fats. And remember, sat fats are not as bad as the polyunsaturated fats. In addition to Splenda, Rosedale does allow a little Stevia, a natural sweetner. He recommends that you do not use them or use them sparingly so that you can get your taste buds away from craving sweetness.

Homemade Mayonnaise

1 egg yolk
1/2 C avocado oil
1 T lemon juice
pinch of cayenne

In a blender, mix the egg yolk and oil, then add the lemon juice and cayenne. (I plan to then experiment with other flavorings, such as mustard to see what I like.)

Chicken Salad
Makes 2 servings

Dijon Vinaigrette

1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
3T red wine vinegar
1/4 t Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
salt to taste
Stevia powder or Splenda to taste

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 small head of romaine lettuce, washed and dried
1/4 C chopped walnuts
6 Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
1 ripe avocado, sliced

1. Mix the vinaigrette in a blender.
2. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet, reduce to simmer, and add the chicken breasts.
3. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Check to see whether the chicken is completely done bye cutting into the middle of the breast. The meat should be white, not pink, and juices should run clear, not red.
4. Slice the avocado in half first, then remove the pit by gently squeezing the avocado. Slice the avocado while in its skin. Remove the avocado meat with your thumbs.
5. In a salad bowl, combine the lettuce, walnuts, olives, and avocado slices.
6. Add half the dressing to the salad and toss well, and divide between 2 plates.
7. Slice the chicken diagonally and arrange on top of each salad.
8. Drizzle more dressing on top of the chicken and serve.

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 12-14-2004, 09:30 AM   #13
oow-woo
Junior LCF Member

Verleen--quick question. Carolyn had mentioned that lowcarb tortillas (I believe it was 'La Tortilla' brand), and 'Manna from Heaven' bread (whatever that is!) -- How are these actually incorporated into this plan?

Thank you!
Carol
Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #14
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Carol, the recipes that include the Manna from Heaven bread allow 1 slice or 1 piece. You can buy it from Julian Bakery in La Jolla, CA. 1-800-98BREAD These 'breads', Manna from Heaven and the La Tortilla Factory tortillas are in recipes where you incorporate some of the healthy mono fats and sometimes low carb-high fiber veggies. I am trying to eat some of the good veggies even with breakfast. I had eggs and green beans this morning. I know, not very creative, but easy to fix. Based on what I know, I will not be using even these allowed breads to any great extent.

"Eggs Benefit" is an example recipe, using Manna From Heaven.

Sauce

3 T low-fat cream cheese
1/2 t chopped fresh rosemary
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 t flax oil
1 t avocado oil
salt to taste
pinch of cayenne

2 eggs
1 ripe avocado
Manna From Heaven bread

1. Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl with a fork.
2. In a deep dish skillet, add 2 inches of water, bring it to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
3. Crack each egg into the water, getting very close to the surface. Simmer the eggs for 5 min, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain off excess water.
4. Toast the bread.
5. Slice the avocado in half first, then remove the pit. Slice the avocado and remove the skin. Place the slices on top of the toasted bread.
6. Top the bread and avocado with poached eggs and top with the sauce.

There is also recipes for using the bread for tuna salad with homemade mayo, avocado and smoked salmon toasts, roasted perpper toasts, etc.

As for the La Tortilla Factory tortillas, they have a recipe for a Shrimp Wrap for example. You could use them to make a chicken wrap. One tortilla per serving.

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 12-14-2004, 12:06 PM   #15
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

I haven't spoken much about the supplements which are important esp during the first 3 weeks. I am not taking all of them, but the ones that I felt would benefit me the most. These supplements are naturally used by our bodies, but are deficient because of our decades of bad nutrition. Here are the ones I have chosen to take. Some of these I will take for just 3 weeks; some I will take for 3 months or until my endocrine test results come back normal; and some I will take for life.

Upon Waking

L-Carnitine - 1000mg - is involved in energy production, and is required for the transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria, where they are burned for energy. If you do not have adequate carnitine, fat burning is impaired. Obviously, if you have leptin resistance and problems burning fat, you need this to make sure you have plenty of carnitine available to your cells. And there is much more praise, but I'm being brief. Need to take on an empty stomach for better absorption.

With Breakfast

Vitamin C - 500 mg or more - immune boosting, collagen formation, slows the progression of arthritis and aging, helps detoxify heavy metals, is the most active antioxidant in the aqueous, or water-based, portions of our body, guards against free-radical damage to the arteries and as such warding off the first step in atherosclerosis and heart disease. If you are insulin resistant (diabetic), vitamin C cannot get in. Therefore, diabetics need a greater level of vitamin C.

Cod Liver Oil w vitamin E added - 2 T - the omega-3 fatty acids are crucial to our well being. Okay, this is too much for me to provide at once. Maybe I'll do installments. For now I will just list what I have chosen to take.

Biotin - 5 mg
Chromium Picolinate - 400 mg
Coenzyme Q10 - 100 mg
Magnesium Potassium Aspartate - 1,000 mg
Multivitamin without iron - 2 capsules
Phosphatidylserine - 200 mg
Pregnenolone - 50 mg
Glucose Metabolic support (w/Gymnema Sylvestre) - 1 capsule
Vitamine E - 1,200 IU
Vitamin K - 2 mg
Thiamine - 50 mg
Alpha Lipoic acid - 200 mg

With Dinner

Biotin - 5 mg
Chrom. Pic - 400 mg
Glucose Metabolic Support - 1 capsule
Alpha Lipoic Acid - 200 mg
Magnesium Potassium Aspart. - 1,000 mg
Multivitamin without iron - 2 capsules
Vitamin C - 500 mg
Phosphatidylserine - 200 mg
Thiamine - 50 mg

At Bedtime

Acetyl-L-Carnitine - 500 mg
L-Glutamine - 1,000 mg
Magnesium Potassium Aspartate - 500 mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid - 200 mg

After all these supplement with tons of water, I find that my hunger has decreased significantly.

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 12-14-2004, 01:42 PM   #16
Kathy4HIM
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the information. I very truly appreciate it a lot.

WOW! Lots and lots of supplements. I am always grateful to read of something that is working well for somebody........I could not in any way afford to buy supplements like that. Oh, wow!

Please do let us know how it goes, ok?

Kathy
Old 12-14-2004, 01:48 PM   #17
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Kathy, if I could narrow it down to a few for a diabetic, it would be the Cod Liver oil, Vitamin E and Vitamin C, plus the multivitamin. I can't afford it either, but I'm squeezing it in. Hopefully, dh's underwear will last longer than normal.

Goals:

195/135/135

Last edited by Verleen; 12-14-2004 at 01:53 PM..
Old 09-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #18
Pealark
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pealark
WOE: Atkins, testing yo stay in Keto
Is this thread dead? I just discovered the Rosedale diet. I am just thrilled. My hunger has just simply gone down to about 1/3 of what it was. I no longer even want the stuff that got me in so much trouble. I'm not diabetic, but I am insulin resistant (or was). I've only been on it a week, and already I'm in blouses I haven't worn for 4 years, and my jeans are actually loose, instead of my praying that they won't rip out during the day. It is so wonderful to be free from the tyranny of that excess hunger all the time. Plus the food is GOOD, what a welcome relief.

As a veteran of so many diet plans, I can tell you this one is different. I just ordered the supplements. They must be made of platinum because they seem very pricy. I'll let you know what is in the "metabolic pack" as soon as I get them. I priced Arginine and carnitine on a body builder's site and they aren't cheap. So I guess by the time you throw in all the other stuff, this is OK. BTW, the Cod Liver Oil is a far cry from the horrible stuff you had to take as a kid. It is very mild and the lemon makes the "fish" taste undetectable.

Failed plans for me: Atkins, Somersize, Candida diet, Weight Watchers, Fat Flush, Thurmond (the worst one actually), Frederick Stare book, Protein Power, I could go on. But I'm actually happy on this one. OH, and did I mention? I actually feel like exercising. THAT didn't happen on any of the abovementioned plans.

This diet is a miracle to me. The miracle I've been praying for. Thank you God and bless Dr. Rosedale.
Pealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #19
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Pealark. I'm surprised you even found this in the archives. I'm still taking the supplements and am trying to get back on track with the woe. I've had an injury and the severe pain for 4 mos is really getting in the way. I follow the Rosedale diet/LFL because there is so much similarities. In fact, many diets are similar that are structured in a balance of protein, fats and low glycemic carbs. I could not lose an ounce on 3 months of Atkins Induction. Way too much protein and fat and it made my diabetes worse. It seems to work for others, but not for me.

I have reversed some of my medical conditions since I began the Rosedale diet/supplements. I am now off almost all my prescription meds. I'm still fighting diabetes and take those meds. My goal was health first and weight loss second.

Good luck with the Rosedale plan and keep us informed of how you are doing. Please. I want to know.

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #20
Pealark
Junior LCF Member

Hi Verleen,

How wonderful for you! What an accomplishment to get off of the prescriptions. Yay! I cannot get over how this plan just kicked right in for me. I had been on Fat Flush, and before that schwrtzbein, so maybe they set me up for sucess on this. But as I say, this is truly different. I'm still taking the FF supplements until I get going on the Rosedale ones.

So far I've noticed,
VAST and I do mean VAST reduction of appetite
Energy - my house is slowly recovering too
Brain "fuzz" gone
And dropped 1 size already.

Incredible.

Now I have questions for you.
Do you have the allowed fats? I've been indulging in avacados, and home made mayo made with flax & olive oil. I cook in olive oil. And I do have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast most mornings. I do always include lots of fiberous veggies at each meal.

I know he said no squash, but is spaghetti squarsh OK? I know it is lower in starch and sugars than most squash. I've been having it quite a bit.

I notice that none of the recipes include salt. But I did not see anything against it in the book either. I have never been much of a salt person, my whole family reachs for the salt shaker when I cook. But I REALLY resented having zero salt on Fat Flush.

Do you have only raw nuts, or do you have roasted occasionally? We have a local nut house that will sell me raw nuts when they have them in, but sometimes they are all roasted when I get there. So we've been picking through the packages and selecting the lightest colored ones. I had raw cashews and almonds on hand from another diet incarnation. But I wanted macadamias.

Honestly, yesterday I picked up that blouse and was almost afraid to try it on. I wore it the last time in 1999 at my computer engineering classes, and it was tight across the bust then. Not only did it fit, it didn't pull anywhere and hung loosely over my hips! Yay! I'm impressed.

I will certainly keep you informed. Do you want to be my buddy?
DDee (Donna)
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #21
Pealark
Junior LCF Member

OH, and Verleen, I did not discover this thread, Alta Vista did.
And I'm glad you aren't in pain anymore. Hope all is well.

Last edited by Pealark; 09-21-2005 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #22
Verleen
Senior LCF Member

Pealark, sadly I'm still in pain and it gets increasingly worse over time....4 mos now. Of course, yes, let's be buddies....and help each other.

I don't cook with olive oil as heat transforms it into an unhealthy compound. I cook with pure virgin coconut oil which has a higher melting point. I use olive oil for non cooking purposes, like salads. Once in awhile I use flaxseed oil. I use salt, but I'm not a big salt eater. Like your family, mine heavily salts everything I make. I also use zucchini. I wouldn't think spaghetti squash would be terrible, but its not as low glycemic as zucchini. As for nuts, I am allergic to most nuts now and don't eat them. So far, I can still eat pistachios, but eat them roasted and salted. But only occasionally and small quantity. I do mostly eat free range chicken and grass fed beef. I got my health food store to carry these. I eat bison too.

I use the Rosedale diet and form my meals plans in conjunction with Lean For Life. It is amazing at how quickly this diet and supplements can change how we feel. I got so much better that people noticed how much better I was walking. I did more indoor and outdoor gardening this year than I have in years. Even though I get no exercise because of a progressive neuro-muscular disease, I still lose weight slowly over time. Why don't you join us on our challenge that starts tomorrow?

Goals:

195/135/135
Old 09-21-2005, 05:45 PM   #23
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrstmitch
Stats: 260/250/150
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: AUGUST 26, 2016
Hello---Mind if I join you girls?? I just did a search on "Rosedale" and was THRILLED to see a couple of fellow Rosedale dieters! This is only my third day on this diet and I can't believe how incredible I feel! Like both of you, I was just not successful with the "conventional low carb diets! I mean, I really do believe in the concept, but I was religiously following Protein Power and my scale didn't budge! I got so discouraged, that it's been over a year since I've even attempted to follow another plan.

Anyway, I love the Rosedale diet--!! Verleen, I noticed that you said you cooked with the virgin coconut oil... I had just bought 3 quarts of it before I read Dr. Rosedale's book, and he has been so down on saturated fats, that I'm not sure if the virgin coconut oil is ok. I've read about so many benefits of the coconut oil, and I really want to use it, but I don't want to blow this wonderful diet, either. Any thoughts on that?
mrstmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #24
oow-woo
Junior LCF Member

mrstmitch! This thread has really come to life again. CarolynF and I were just discussing Rosedale this afternoon--sure looks tempting... I do not have diabetes, but seem to have above 100 fasting blood sugars, so I keep toying with this plan.

Carol
Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #25
Pealark
Junior LCF Member

Hello MrsTmitch . Coconut oil is on the "B" list. Acceptable occasionally, but don't make it a staple. And don't use it for the first 3 weeks on the plan. According to Dr. Mercola (who recommends Rosedale, BTW) the saturation in coconut oil are the branched chain lipids. And those are supposedly not harmful from an arteriosclerosis standpoint. Helpful even. But Dr. Rosedale wants your body to turn to the saturated fat we carry on our bodies and learn to burn that fat in the first 3 weeks. The body will want to keep on burning sugar until the leptin sensitivity comes fully back. So by consuming other sat. fats we allow it to do an end run around the burning of our own fat. That seems to be the theory anyway.

Hello Carol. I am not familiar with Lean for Life, so I cannot advise you as to the comparative value of the 2 plans. But I know for sure something is really different on this diet. It is delivering on what the other diets I've been on promise, but usually don't deliver.

I am so impressed. For instance, I bought like 6 lbs of nuts the other day. Usually, I cannot leave them alone until they are all gone. I bought so many because that nut house is out of the way and I didn't want to make a trip every other week. Plus I've used ground almonds & egg whites for crackers in the past, and that would be allowed on this plan too. Once I start snacking on nuts, it is usually all over for me. But I've barely made a dent in the first package (mixed nuts with no peanuts). I mean, nuts are more of a trigger food for me than potato chips even, and my appetite is now such that I have a limit. And a very reasonable limit at that. I'm happy with maybe 6-8 now. Believe me that did not happen in the past, no matter what plan I was on. THAT is a miracle.

My history is that I had an extremely hard time losing weight. At one point, I was going to Weight Watchers, and also jogging for 2 miles 4x per week. The other 3 days I did sit-ups and stuff like that. After 3 mo., NOT CHEATING AT ALL, I had lost and regained the same 1 lb over and over again. I was not truly down even 1 pound. I was much younger then to boot. I used to corner people who had lost out in the parking lot afterwards and ask them if they really ate everything on the plan. Imagine my shock when they not only ate everything on the plan but also cheated and did not exercise. Here I was exercising and not cheating and I was not losing at all. When I was on Fit for Life, I could actually fast 3 days a week and the other 4 were all veggies and fruit, no meat, and I would lose maybe 1 lb in 3 weeks.

I think Dr. Schwartzbein's plan got me over some of the damage I did by doing that extreme dieting and exercising. And I do think that Fat Flush helped somewhat too by getting me detoxified enough for this plan. Maybe this would not be working so well for me had it not been for those 2 going before it. All I know is that each of those did not deliver. This one is - at least for now. But somehow, I believe it is the ONE for me. I had already lost 20 lbs on the plans before it, and I immediately started dropping weight again when I went on this. In spite of now including salt, when I had been not using it at all.

Donna in IN
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #26
oow-woo
Junior LCF Member

Donna- you told a very inspiring story here. I noticed that you are new to this board, so you probably aren't aware of my huge struggle trying to lose lbs and it isn't that I have cheated--believe me. It took me 5 years to drop 15 lbs or so and I actually gained back 5+ doing the same thing I had done to lose --I lost on Lean for Life--but probably because it is so low in calories and fat. I went back and tried Atkins induction for a month (it never did work for me)--I even cut out Splenda--no diet sodas, no processed foods etc....--and I work out 5-6 days a week religiously.
I'm kind of afraid of Rosedale because the calories seem to be high with all of that olive oil.
If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind posting a sample day's menu here? It would be so helpful--also how much did you have to lose? I need to shed about 10 lbs to be a what I would consider a healthy weight.

Thank you!
Carol
Old 09-22-2005, 07:10 AM   #27
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi..ladies..

I'm rereading Rosedale with Carol...and last night I found some great stuff in the book..
You know how they hide the important stuff..like Atkins..

Pardon me, if I repeated some of Verleen's information..

TOO MUCH PROTEIN IS NOT A GOOD THING, BECAUSE:

It reduces your ability to burn fat.

Eating extra protein causes you to turn protein, including some of your muscle and bone, into sugar.

Extra protein creates lots of extra heat..(not a good thing)

So...he basically says eat 1/2 of your lean body mass in protein..and add 10 grams if
you exercise like Carol...so my LBM is 98 so I would eat 50 grams a day..Not alot,but
just enough.

Also..ditch the saturated fats...and eat up to 50 percent of your calories in good fats.
and he mentions that you can eat more than 50 percent. He said that you would lose
weight if you eat too much saturated fats..

So...I did a bit of Rosedale yesterday..and was down .2 to 133.6..Whoppee...LOL.

Maybe we should start a weekly thread on the Goldie girls..and guys?
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 AM   #28
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrstmitch
Stats: 260/250/150
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: AUGUST 26, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pealark
I am so impressed. For instance, I bought like 6 lbs of nuts the other day. Usually, I cannot leave them alone until they are all gone. I bought so many because that nut house is out of the way and I didn't want to make a trip every other week. Plus I've used ground almonds & egg whites for crackers in the past, and that would be allowed on this plan too. Once I start snacking on nuts, it is usually all over for me. But I've barely made a dent in the first package (mixed nuts with no peanuts). I mean, nuts are more of a trigger food for me than potato chips even, and my appetite is now such that I have a limit. And a very reasonable limit at that. I'm happy with maybe 6-8 now. Believe me that did not happen in the past, no matter what plan I was on. THAT is a miracle.
This is TOTALLY my experience, too!! I had such a hard time being moderate with nut consumption~~Plus, on Atkins, I was always CRAVING chocolate and sweets! I was religious about staying on the plan, and didn't lose an ounce. When I first read Rosedale's book, I thought, "No way will that much protein satisfy me!" But it's so amazing if I stay away from the saturated fats, and regulate my portions, I actually don't feel hungry AT ALL ~~ That's what's so amazing. I can be very controlled about what I eat... I don't worry about how much olive oil I'm eating, because I figure that the calorie content evens out in the end because my protein portions are so much smaller.

Anyway, I'm like you, and I am convinced that this is THE plan for me! (I finally bought a scale last night, so I'm not sure what my weight was when I started 4 days ago, but I'm here to tell you that my clothes already are loose on me!) WOO HOOOOOOO!
mrstmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #29
Pealark
Junior LCF Member

Hello Carol,

At the point that I was going to WW & jogging and not losing, 15 years ago, I was 180. I have slowly gained the predictable 5 lbs a year, in spite of dieting all the time. I now have 26 lbs off, the last 6 due to my one week 2 days on Rosedale. I have a long way to go, but at least I see progress now.

I've been overweight most of my adult life. But I was a skinny small child. Very picky. I will have to scan the other forums for your posts. I believe every word, though, from my own experience. I had a hysterectomy in 1999, and I thought every single glimmer of hope to lose weight was gone forever. This plan has given me hope again.

Sample (yesterday)
Breakfast
2 hard boiled eggs made into egg salad with celery a little onion and homemade mayo made with flax oil & EVOO. Put salad on Romaine leaves. I intended to add avacado slices, but forgot them. (I mean forget food? - Me!)

Lunch.
3 oz leftover roasted chicken on salad of mesclun, baby spinach, onion (smaller amount than before because of sugar) cauliflower, walnuts, sliced green olives. 2 small grape tomatoes, halved (too high in sugar to use with abandon)
Dressing I made myself from fresh spinach, basil, garlic, red wine vinegar & EVOO.

Dinner
Asparagus soup (chicken broth with 1 whole bunch of asparagus, paprika, dash cinnamon and small piece of onion - puree when done into creamy soup)
3 oz tuna on top of small salad with same dressing as before (my new favorite).

I did snack mid-afternoon - about 8 nuts, cashew, brazil, pecan, almond mix. Then I remembered I had not taken my supplements. I'm still using FF supllements until my Rosedale supplements get here. Took Cod Liver Oil with each meal. I'm not sure it is recommended with each meal, but I don't mind this new kind and since it increases leptin sensitivity, why not? But the best part - I was not hungry all day. Except for a little while in the afternoon, and then I ate my allowed nuts. And did not snack in the evening at all. I exercised (about 15 minutes of Pilates). Exercising after dinner is encouraged because it helps you burn off the small amount of sugar in the veggies before bedtime - so your body is forced to burn fat at night.

And I felt good. Even ran the vacuum about an hour before bedtime. And no craving for sweets, even fruit, at all.

I do take psyllium morning and evening. I drink only water with fresh lemon in it or plain. When it is cooler out, I drink some Teeccino, which tastes good. When it is cooler, I drink herbal tea too, sometimes, not all the time.

I have fresh herbs in the garden right now, but that is soon to end.

Today I had turkey sausage & broccoli for breakfast.
I'll have leftover asparagus soup (out of the book - I liked it a lot) & 3 oz chicken for lunch. Probably canned salmon over complex salad for dinner. I've had no nuts today (yet).

Happy to share. I hope you find the key that unlocks your fat burning mechanism. I hope we all do. We deserve it. I would challenge any skinny person to live on the various regimes I've been on. They couldn't do it.

The really great thing about Rosedale, is that he acknowledges that we are all different. For some people leptin sensitivity isn't an issue no matter how they abuse their bodies. But for some of us, any sugar consumption, let alone a binge, is enought to unbalance the whole equation. Nature cheated us. But we can cheat back by following a plan that will get our hormones back into a better state for burning fat. So it isn't "here is how a properly trained person will always eat". It is more like, OK, we're metabolically challenged. Here is how you can live and beat the odds.

Donna
Old 09-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #30
oow-woo
Junior LCF Member

Donna-- thank you so much for sharing your menu! You're such a sweetheart--I do so appreciate it. And yes, if the majority of people ate and exercised the way I do, they would drop weight like crazy

I've finally put things into perspective--was trying so hard to get down to 135, but at this point (from the formulas I've worked with), it seems that 137-8 might be the correct goal.

Thank you again and Congratulations on your fabulous weight loss!

Carol