View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #253
LaurieKeren
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieKeren
Well, there was no frozen cauli at the store, so I'll have to make the cauli tots another time!

Instead, I made creamy meatballs with zucchini strips.

I tweaked a recipe from Linda Sue's site.

Quote:
CREAMY MEATBALLS
Meatballs:
1 pound ground chuck or leaner ground beef
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 small eggs or one large (I have chickens, and thus smaller eggs, lol)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Sauce:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 onion and several cloves garlic, processed until chunky smooth
fresh ground pepper to taste
Pinch nutmeg
Sea salt, to taste
Water, as needed to thin the sauce
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, approximately (didn't measure)
Additional Parmesan and nutmeg to garnish

Mix all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl using your hands. Squeeze the mixture together to blend well until it's no longer slimy from the eggs. Roll into meatballs. Fry in bacon grease/butter/oil (whatever you want, lol) for about 10 minutes, turning halfway through. I used a heavy cast iron skillet and shook it vigorously every once in a while, and that turned the meatballs. Remove meatballs from pan.

In the same frying pan, sauté onion/garlic mixture in the frying pan until tender. Add the cream cheese and let it melt over low heat, whisking until smooth and creamy. Gradually whisk in the cream, blending well. Whisk in the seasonings. Add about 1/2 cup water and whisk in well. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Add the meatballs to the sauce. Cover and simmer on very low heat about 10-20 minutes until heated through and bubbly (add water as needed). Stir occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Stir in the Parmesan just before serving.

Garnish with additional Parmesan and nutmeg.
Quote:
Zucchini

Using a mandolin, cut the zucchini into long strips. Sprinkle the strips with salt and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.

Heat a heavy cast iron skillet. Melt butter in the skillet, and then add enough strips to fill the pan with a single layer of zucchini. When lightly browned, turn the zucchini and cook other side until browned.

Working in batches, continue cooking the remaining zucchini.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meatballs.jpg (43.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg meatballs1.jpg (41.7 KB, 1152 views)

Last edited by LaurieKeren; 03-11-2010 at 04:11 PM..
LaurieKeren is offline   Reply With Quote