Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/182/175 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
I bought a few things as I was losing...but since I wasn't working "outside" then (I have a small business I do from home), it didn't matter how I dressed. Walmart t-shirts, and Costco jeans were what I wore as I shrunk because I didn't feel bad sending them to Goodwill when they became too big.

In February, I took a "real" job where there's actually a dress code, so I suddenly needed to have more formal business attire again--and none of my beautiful suits fit! I've gone from a size 22 jacket to a size 16/18, and a size 20 pant to a size 12/14. Any more weight loss won't really impact how clothes fit.

So I've started shopping the clearance racks in "normal sized" clothing stores like Coldwater Creek, Christopher & Banks, J. Jill, Macy's, Talbots, etc. Have found some GREAT deals that look very business like--and I'm learning to change my style too. Those shortie jackets now look great on me (I've got long legs and am tall)...what a weird feeling! Last week I bought a Chanel-style suit from Talbot's in a size 16 and it fits beautifully. Scary!

Now I'm in the process of re-making all of my clothing patterns--a real pain. I love to sew and in the past made a lot of my clothes. Because I'm very broad shouldered for a woman, I prefer to make my own clothes because they fit better..but remaking patterns is a slow process, especially since my "new" body is so very different than my old one and my mind has yet to really adjust.

I still like to buy cheap basics at Costco and Walmart--there can be some real gems hidden in there (i.e., good fabrics, good construction). I've discovered that those shirts and jeans at Costco are REALLY nice. Sizes are weird, but I just take home a couple of different sizes and return what I don't want. But I can get a shirt at Costco for $16 that is identical to one at Coldwater Creek costing about $40. And I love the $18 Gloria Vanderbilt jeans--except I now need a size 12 long which can be hard to find.

In the end, I think it is necessary to have at least one nice outfit that fits at any time. But I also think it's really hard to get back into the clothes thing after being fat. I used to dress for work (suits only) and anything else was just whatever covered me. Now I think about what I'm wearing even if I'm just going to the store--how odd is that????
Wow, weezy, I'm really impressed that you not only sew well, but that you re-make your patterns! As a gal who long ago tried to sew w/little success and much frustration, my hat is tipped to your talent.

And I think you bring up something really important when you talk about how it's kind of scary to trust the new and slimmer you. You say:

"But I also think it's really hard to get back into the clothes thing after being fat. I used to dress for work (suits only) and anything else was just whatever covered me. Now I think about what I'm wearing even if I'm just going to the store--how odd is that????"

While this is not my problem, as I LOVE looking better in a smaller size, I do think for many it's disconcerting to all of a sudden really care what you look like after years of ignoring that, and denying that you care. Like you said, all of a sudden you care what you look like at the grocery store.

That's an adjustment for many. You go from full tilt denial, to having a reason to care, which is also a risk. Very interesting, and thanks for your great post.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote