View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 199.6/182/150
WOE: Atkins 4/09; CNS/Ultra LC 4/16
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 67
I just recently did my first grass-fed brisket in the oven at 325 and it was adequately tender with a GREAT flavor. But I think I will cook it much slower next time (300) so it will be even more tender. I may even do it in my roaster over all day long at 250 to see how that does, too. Like I said, it was my first time doing a GF brisket, so I had no idea of knowing how tender (or not tender) it would come out. Certainly wasn't fall apart tender like commercial briskets cook in the oven.

This is how I did it:

OVEN ROASTED GRASS-FED BEEF (pic is on my website)

Because grass-fed, grass-finished beef is so much leaner than ordinary mass-produced commercial beef in grocery stores, it tends to cook up drier and a bit tough if you don’t take special precautions to compensate for that. The 5# chunk of brisket you see in the pic above was cooked slow, surrounded by a little water and covered with foil for part of the cooking time and then cooked open for the remaining time. It came out tender and VERY flavorful. Healthy goodness! I usually put a bit of rub on mine. This is suitable for all phases of Atkins and for Paleo-Primal diners as well. I served mine with a broccoli souffle and a tomato/cucumber salad.

INGREDIENTS:

1 4-5# piece of grass-fed beef brisket
tsp. coarse ground black pepper
tsp. salt
tsp. minced dehydrated garlic
tsp. onion powder
tsp. dill seed, crushed
tsp. dehydrated red bell pepper (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the spices together and sprinkle over all surfaces of the meat. Place meat in large roasting pan and pop into oven, uncovered for 1 hour. Lower heat to 325 and remove pan from oven. Pour ” water in the bottom of the pan around the meat. Tightly cover with a piece of large aluminum foil and pop back into oven and cook for about 4-5 more hours. Check once and replenish water if below 1/4″ deep. Uncover for the final hour of cooking to get a nice brown crusty surface on the meat. Meat is well done (how I prefer oven-roasted cuts like this) when it reaches an internal temperature of 140 on your meat thermometer. I may like rare steak, but I don’t like my brisket rare. Remove from the pan and let it sit on a cutting board for 10 minutes before cutting/slicing. Thicken the juices in the pan with your favorite thickener, deglazing any tasty brown bits stuck to the sides of the pan, seasoning as needed with salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite sides. Leftovers freeze and reheat well in foil.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: One 4 oz. serving contains:

340 calories
22 g fat
50 mg sodium
0 g carbs, 0 fiber, 0 NET CARBS
32 g protein
22 % RDA Vitamin B6, 122% B12, 15% copper, 40% iron, 8% magnesium, 30% niacin, 39% phosphorous, 23% riboflavin, 50% selenium, 7% thiamin, 97% zinc