Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 02/2010
The price of hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIMIMI View Post
Jo-
It is also a cost vs value thing. My clinic was awful, and I did not have a good experience with the staff at all. I got 90% of what I needed from this board as far as following the plan. Only thing I got at the clinic was to step on the scale, meet the "staff of the week" and get the prescription. Had I had a better experience, I may be more willing to rack up the credit card debt to make it work again, but well, the clinic wasn't holding up their end of the bargain. All of my medical numbers are good, aside from the number on the scale. I requested to meet with the Dr at my clinic to discuss the long term effects of this diet, to see if anyone has had any real long term success, and I was denied access to the Dr. I was given excuses and shooed out the door. When I stopped the program (had a cancer scare) I also asked to meet with the Dr and was not able to do so.

Then of course, is the constant argument going through my head, that any diet in which you consume 500-800 calories a day and take a handful of pills is actually "good" for you. I did not re-join the plan because I think it is the healthies way to lose weight. I see and understand that a very low calorie diet laced with amphetamine appetite suppresants and a hand full of vitamins is something we do when we are desperate. And I was desperate. And it works. In the short term at least for quick weight loss. It does make you think about long term damage to your metabolism, about how you could possibly maintain a weight loss once you go back to a normal caloric intake. There is a reason people hide this diet from their friends and families, and that reason is nagging common sense.

You cannot deny that from all of the people that come and go on these boards (and several people that I know in the real world, even the one who referred me to the clinic) MOST people are not successful at making it to the maintenance phase and keeping the weight off. Of all of the hundreds of people that come and gone on this board,just in the months I have been here, only a handful have been successful. Out of my friends that go to the clinic, none have kept the weight off. Not even one.
Mimi,

I am sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience at your clinic. I know I am new and that may be cause to disregard my thoughts (which I would completely understand ), but I feel compelled to comment anyway.

My clinic seems to be completely different from yours. During my first appointment, the doctor spent nearly 45 minutes with me, helping me set my goals, going over the plan, answering my questions, and offering encouragement. He has used the plan successfully himself (as it seems that most people at my clinic have). During my first follow-up, the nurse practitioner went over my journal for the previous week, pointed out some changes I could make, and went over the plan for week two quite thoroughly. She also gave me time to ask the questions I had prepared and didn't try to rush the visit.

I have several co-workers and friends who completed the acute phase of the plan last summer. They have all spoken very highly of the plan and of my particular clinic. And they have all kept the weight off.

As for what makes a person take the seemingly drastic step of participating in a medically supervised diet, for me it was desperation. I had completely bought into the idea that eating healthy foods, tracking calories, and exercising regularly would work. Burn more calories than you eat and lose weight. For some people it probably is that simple, but for me it wasn't. South Beach, Weight Watchers, plain old calorie counting... I've tried them all. Each time my weight loss would stall fairly quickly. I figured it was my fault for doing something wrong. I even bought a BodyBugg to track calories burned, and diligently weighed and journaled everything I put into my mouth. I figured that this precise level of measurement would have to work. Some weeks it did, other weeks the numbers just didn't add up.

I haven't eaten fast food in four years. I only drink water, coffee, and unsweetened tea. I almost never drink alcohol. I rarely eat processed foods and only indulge in fried foods once or twice a month (usually the once or twice a month I would go to a restaurant). For the most part, I eat whole grains, vegetables, fruit, lean proteins, and healthy fats. I have small meals and healthy snacks. I measure foods with a scale. I exercise 4 to 6 days a week. I trained for and participated in a half-marathon last fall. For all that, I lost 22 pounds in as many months. One-pound per month.

So, I am desperate. But now, I also have hope. The one thing I have never tried is something as drastic as Medi. It's only been a week, but I feel great. Of course I am afraid that it could stop working. But I look at the people that I know and the people at my clinic that have done so well and I have hope. And so, I will follow this plan to the letter and take my pills and get my shots. I will also keep exercising and maintain my philosophy of eating natural, non-processed foods. And, when I am at my goal, I will start training for my first marathon. If it turns out that the plan does not work for me, well I suppose I'll start training for my first marathon anyway.

To anyone who reads this post,

Perhaps my thoughts will help you make the decision to jump or not to jump. Everyone needs to make the choice that is best for them and I would never presume that what is best for me is best for another individual. Just remember that not making a choice is a choice in its own way. And, if you are worried about the cost then try to compare it fairly to the cost of your other options.
Sshals is offline   Reply With Quote