View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
Gallery: sdpierce
NK - LCHF and Marathon Training

Hi, I'm new to these forums (truthfully, I've been lurking for about 2 weeks) and haven't transitioned to this eating lifestyle yet. I'm currently on the MediFast program and I have approximately 3 weeks before I will transition to this lifestyle. I stumbled across "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" while looking for a fueling plan for the long runs on my marathon training plan. I'm about half way through the book. I've also bought "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". I'll start it next.

I was going to try to stay on MF (or a modified version of it) as long as possible in order to lose more weight thus allowing me to shave time off of my finish time. If I lose 60 lbs, I can shave approximately 52 minutes off of my marathon finish time. And yes, I need to lose that 60 lbs (well, actually 45 lbs now). However, I'm already experiencing energy issues because of the lack of calories?? So, I've decided to transition off of MF.

I read through and noted that several people indicated it takes about 8-10 weeks to transition. Although one person mentioned 3 weeks. I'm missing a couple of data points such as what their eating habits were like prior to transitioning and are there different stages of transition (i.e. 3 weeks expect blah, 6 weeks expect blah, etc.) understanding that everyone is different.

Currently, my nutritional intake looks like Cal/920, Carbs/89, Fat/21, Protein/108. This was from yesterday and is pretty average for most days. I may get up to 1,000 calories. But most days I stay under 1,000. Carbs stay at around 90.

From my calculations, my base BMR is 1572(Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight (lbs.)) + (4.7 x height (ins.)) – (4.7 x age (yrs.))). And since I'm moderately active (truthfully, I lean more toward very active. But I'll stay on the conservative side), my adjusted BMR to maintain my current weight is 2437 (BMR *1.55). Subtract 1000 from that to lose 2 lbs per week and that gives me WL BMR of 1437.

From what I've read, I want my carbs to be 50 g or less. A lot of posters have recommended starting on the low side to start off with. Arbitrarily, I decided to start with 30 g (120 cal) of carbs. Using Dr. Phinney's protein formula ((goal_weight/2.2)*1.5 = daily protein grams), my protein should be around 95 g (382 cal). This leaves me with 104 g (935 cal) of Fat per day.
Current: Cal/920, Carbs/89, Fat/21, Protein/108
To be: Cal/1437, Carbs/120, Fat/935, Protein/382
Does this look right? Should I make any adjustments?
Coming from a carb restricted plan to NK/LCHF, should I expect:

- a weeks worth of headaches/energy loss/grumpiness, etc? I did go through this during Week 1 of MF.
- 8-10 weeks for transition
- what else?

From what I've read (, I need to start taking potassium supplements, magnesum supplements and what else?

I ran my first and only Half Marathon last November using the traditional carbohydrate rich diet and fueling plan. My goal was to to finish and I did. But, it wasn't pretty. My goal for 2013 is to run a full Marathon. I'm registered for Chicago, Oct 2013. What kind of fueling plan (week before? 2-3 days before? night before? during?) am I looking at? This is the one thing I can't seem to find much info on. There is a lot of theorizing. But I haven't found anything that says start with X and adjust from there.

NK/LCHF goals:
I understand that I may not lose as much weight while I'm training for Chicago. So, through Oct 13, my goals are:
1. Finish Chicago in 5 hours or less
2. Lose 45 more lbs.

After Chicago, my main goal will be to lose the rest of the extra weight.

I haven't started on the planning out my daily menus. But I hope to start that next week or the week after. I saw the recipe section. But is there an NK/LCHF quick start guide for menu planning?

Then lastly, what am I overlooking?

I apologize for such a long post. But I figured, that since I already had the info, I should throw it out there to give a better snapshot of where I am.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance. I'm pretty excited about what I've researched and can't wait to get started.
sdpierce is offline   Reply With Quote