Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelena View Post
Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Hmm my point is if you're gonna exercise but then still keep to the same JUDDD numbers because you don't want to 'do all that exercise for nothing' you might as well not exercise (leaving aside that exercise in itself has other benefits apart from calorie burn!) and just eat less. But this of course is silly. If you look at it from a calories in and out, your remaining calories will be too low.

eg normally I eat 500/1900 = average 1200 cals

if i start exercising that burns 300 cals now average is 900 cals, which people seem to be suggesting is ok?

But to me, this is the equivalent of saying 'pfft, stuff exercise' i'll just eat 300 cals less so 200/1600 = 900 cals average.

Opinions? Am I being silly here?
Go back and read my answer above. I think that you should do what is comfortable for you. I eat back some of my calories because I work out a lot and I'm hungry. I don't want to be hungry.

I think that if I burn 300 cals, then I should probably have a protein rich snack after my workout to feed my muscles. Some days, I don't feel like eating, so I don't, but for the most part, I will have a 100-160 cal snack after a workout. I do think of these as extra calories that I can choose to have or not have, but most diets I have been on (even strict ones) say to have a protein rich snack (protein shake, cheese, almonds) after working out.

I've heard over and over (even from low carb guys) that working out is for cardiovascular health and toning up, but is not a good tool for weight loss because people tend to eat back the calories they burn because they are hungrier. Diet is really what counts when trying to lose weight. I believe that this is true for the most part. I don't think I eat back all my calories (I'm sure some days I do), but I do not mind eating them if I feel I need them.

I hope this makes sense!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote