greybb1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/264.5/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
Unfortunately, the only way to find the right medication is to keep trying them. Often in varying combinations. In my first two years of treatment I tried almost 20 different medications. A couple of years after that, my diagnosis was changed and I've tried even more. I've felt like crap most of the time and although I am the best I have been in many years, I still have many bad days. I've been suicidal in the past, but not recently.

Original diagnosis: Bipolar 2 and anxiety
Current diagnosis: ADHD, Atypical Major Depression, General and Social Anxiety

I take 5 prescriptions and a boatload of supplements. I've been low carb for over 18 months, and I haven't broken ketosis since last October. I've lost about 50 pounds. I haven't exercised at all, but I probably would feel better if I did. I manage to leave my house two or three times a week.

I've said all of this so that my advice to you has good context and so that you know I understand how bad it is.

1 - Be at your worst when you talk to your doc. Do not soften or be delicate about anything. A good doc will assume you are being honest, but sometimes you have to make them believe it is as bad as you tell them it is.

2 - Carb binging may make you feel good in a moment, but for me it wasn't worth the cumulative damage to my moods and body. Once my body adjusted, I feel better without them. Yes, it sucked for a couple of months. Despite what pop science media say, we know surprisingly little about how brain chemistry works. If you don't want to go low carb, that is fine, but choose one way or the other honestly. Because if you try to hold yourself to a standard you haven't fully committed to you are setting yourself up for more misery. Either way, it is important not to punish yourself for either missing a goal or for something you can't control. Better to say "I'll do better tomorrow" than "I screwed up today, bad bad me."

3 - Educate yourself as much as possible. Learn the why's and facts and choose a specific program and do it right, at least to start. Look at mental health message boards and learn about medications, but remember that you are usually hearing the worst about any med or situation so keep an open mind. Doctors are people too, and they aren't always up to date and can be wrong. Most people don't find prozac sedating (I did a little but I'm not normal and find nearly everything sedating because of the ADHD).

4 - Supplementing with magnesium (glycinate in my case), vitamin D (I had astonishingly low levels), and most especially Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl-l-Carnitine (OMG no brain fog for the first time in over 10 years). None of these should interfere with any prescription drugs. If you are going to be taking any prescriptions, do not take St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, or l-Tryptophan. They can all interact very badly with antidepressants. Someone above mentioned magnesium deficency and antidepressants. Don't not take an antidepressant because of that. It isn't conclusively proven or even widely studied, and magnesium is easy to supplement. Because it sounds like you need an antidepressant more than you need internet advice. And correcting any mag deficiency I had hasn't cured me of depression, but my muscles are looser and my Restless Leg hasn't bothered me in months.

5 - Last thing before I shut up, realize and accept that whatever way of eating or regimen of supplements and medications you adopt to help your moods and body, you will probably have to do for the rest of your life. One of the hardest things I've ever done was accept that I will always have to take medication in order to function even half as well as most people. And it isn't my fault, but there is nothing I can do to change that. So going on from there, accepting myself as I am, I have made more progress than I could have when I thought that maybe I could be fixed. All of which made it easier to accept that if I want to not be fat, I don't get to eat sugar and bread anymore. Google "radical acceptance" for good info.

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself, but most of the things that can help will take time. Sometimes the only difference is that you're miserable with hope of improvement instead of without hope. The trying is worth it.
Everything you say is true and excellent advice.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote