Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Seeking
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy1018 View Post
The frightening thing about my depression is that it does not always respond to medication. I have been on about six different antidepressants since 2002. The one I'm on seems to be working fairly well, but I think that's because I've added significant exercise and changed my diet. Still, I have bouts of depression that affect me significantly and I seem to be having one now. I see a psychiatrist regularly (once a month). I think it's possible that I may have some form of bipolar disorder or that I would benefit from a mood stabilizer, but after taking my psychological profile, the doctor feels that my problems stem from major depression and that we should try that route first. I also have a learning disorder, so sometimes these things compound each other, and that is when I am most vulnerable to thoughts about death and suicide. So, I'm already "on edge" because of depression, then I get lost in my house, loose something (which happens several times a day) or struggle with an academic assignment, and that makes me so angry that I fantasize about dying. (I don't really think that dying would be a good solution and I'm not planning to hurt myself, but those are the thoughts that go through my head, which is scary.)

Usually exercise works as an anti-depressant, but sometimes I get so down that it's hard to do it. I've also noticed that its ameliorating affects are only significant if I exercise excessively, for more than an hour a day. This concerns me, as I obviously don't have the time to do that when I'm in school/working.
This sounds like an underlying health problem. Have you run a lot of different blood tests? Have you had a full thyroid panel? Have you tested for vitamin deficiencies?

When did your depression begin? Did anything in your life change that may have triggered it?

Of the medications you have tried, was prozac one of them?
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote