1 1/4 cups water
1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
5 green cardamom pods
5 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ground ginger (I used fresh, and increased the amount)
1 tsp ground fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder (Indian chili powder is more like cayenne pepper)
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp crushed pistachios to garnish (I left this off)
Chopped fresh cilantro to garnish

Soak the cashew in the boiling water for 20 minutes

Put the lamb into a bowl and add the yogurt, egg, cardamom, nutmeg, pepper, mint, and salt. Knead the meat until it is smooth and velvety. Alternatively, put the ingredients in a food processor and process until fine. Chill the mixture for 30-40 minutes, then divide it into quarters. Make five balls (koftas) out of each quarter and compress so that they are firm, rolling them between your palms to make them smooth and neat.

Bring the cold water to a boil in a large shallow saucepan and add all the whole spices and the bay leaves. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer in the spiced liquid, reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and cook for 12-15 minutes.

Remove the meatballs, cover, and keep hot. Strain the spiced stock and set aside.

Wipe out the pan and add the oil. Place over medium heat and add the onion and garlic paste. Cook until the mixture begins to brown and add the ginger, fennel, turmeric, and chili powder. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the strained stock and meatballs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes.

Meanwhile, process the cashews to a paste in a blender and add to the meatball mixture along with the cream. Simmer for an additional 4-6 minutes, then remove from heat. Garnish with crushed pistachios and chopped cilantro.

Notes:

*I used 1/2 of a sweet onion (since it was very big), and several cloves of garlic, and a big hunk of fresh ginger, and processed it to chunky smooth in a food processor. It is always good to avoid big onion chunks if you want your kids to eat it, lol, and it is an easy way to chop the fresh garlic and ginger.

*I had some homemade cashew nut butter that needed to be used, so instead of making it specifically for this recipe, I just used 1/2 cup of the nut butter that I already had.

*About the chili powder: the chili powder that is used in Indian cooking is more like cayenne pepper, and not much like the typical American chili powder that we use when we make chili. I have some chipotle chili powder that I really like, and that is what I used. It is rather spicy and has a nice smoky flavor to it, since it is made from smoked jalapeņos.

*I served it with cucumber raita. I was in a hurry so I didn't do a fancy recipe. I just grated some cucumber, added it to some yogurt, squeezed in the juice from 1/2 a lemon, and added salt and pepper. If you look around online, there are lots of raita recipes. You can add tomatoes, onion, garlic, other spices, cilantro, and all sorts of stuff.
Quote:
Bacon and Cheddar Quiche

6 eggs
1 cup cream
5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
grated cheddar cheese

butter a pie pan, and preheat the oven to 350. Wisk the eggs and cream. Grate enough cheese to fill the pie pan. Sprinkle the bacon over. Pour the cream and egg mixture evenly over the bacon and cheese. Bake until set.

Last edited by LaurieKeren; 03-11-2010 at 08:33 AM..
LaurieKeren is offline   Reply With Quote