Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
sofl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofl
Stats: 190/147/?
WOE: Low carb/kinda Atkins
Start Date: June 2007
Chicken and Rice Jambalaya

I haven't tried Miracle Rice, but I came across this recipe in my local paper and thought I'd like to give it a shot.

Serves: 4
Preparation: 30 minutes

4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks (15 ounces)
Salt and pepper
1/2 Tbs olive oil
3 oz chicken-and-turkey andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
1 tsp adobo powder
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup reduced=sodium chicken broth
Two 8-ounce packages of Miracle Rice, rinsed
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over med-heat. Once oil has stated to smoke, add chicken. Brown for 2-3 min, turning once. Remove chicken and add sausage, brown for 1 min, turning once.
Add the adobo and chili powder and cook for 30 sec. Add onion, reduce to med-low heat and caramelize until soft and browned, 6-8 min. Add peppers and garlic, cook until soft, about 2-min.
Add chicken, broth, Miracle Rice and black beans. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, over med to low heat about 5-min, or until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened.

Per serving: 233 calories; 8 g fat; 103 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 862 mg sodium.

I'm planning on cutting back on carbs by using pork andouille sausage and maybe less onion and peppers.

FYI: The recipe states that this dish gets better with time, so don't hesitate to make it up to 24 hours in advance.
sofl is offline   Reply With Quote