View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
gotsomeold
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Dr J encouraged JUDDD BUDDDs to have 36 hours of caloric restriction/fasting.

However, caloric stress response (AKA 'That Ole JUDDD Magic', AKA Sirtuin enzymes production) begins when the body's available store of energy drops to or below some trigger level (AKA 'skip a meal' - but the timing really depends on each individual's metabolism).

I think Dr J chose 36 hours because that takes DD very close to the second 'magic moment' - the time the body decides the famine is real, turns off sirtuin production, and begins battening down the hatches (AKA 'starvation mode' AKA 'Oh dang, I feel terrible and my weight loss has stalled!').

Once again, that second magic moment differs for each individual. 40 hours is the average.

The longer you stay in caloric stress response, the more sirtuin enzymes are produced, the more blue birds tweet, sunshine glistens, health improves, and weight goes bye-bye.

If caloric stress response is broken early (not TOO early.....like, not five minutes after breakfast is over) nothing really bad happens. Depending on metabolism, weight loss may not proceed at absolutely optimal speed. Weight loss won't stop. The slowdown may not even be perceptible.

We who love JUDDD know we have to tune it to ensure it is a long-term WOL. If JUDDD does not support each of our lifestyles, then we will probably give it up after awhile.

I, for one, am all for a bit of experimentation.
Changed to LCHF after becoming diabetic in 9/13 (Lost 15 more pounds).
STILL below goal 11/21/15

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote