Thread: Fat
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
Michael J
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Michael J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel Lee View Post
I am confused almost to the point of tears.
Lower carbs...lower protein.....increase fat...still stalled.
Lower fat?......I don't know what to eat at this point!
I have been going up and down the same 5 pounds for the last 7 months.
Annabel: I feel your pain. I've been gaining and losing the same 10 lbs for the past 6 months, and growing increasingly desperate. Finally, it looks like things started moving again, but it's only been a few days. We'll see what happens after another 7 days.

At any rate, here's what I recall from Phinney: set your protein based on your lean body mass. In Phinney and Volek's, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living", the author's suggest that current guidelines for protein intake are .8g/day per kilogram of lean body mass, minimum (but this can vary based on your level of activity, pregnancy, if you are still growing, etc....). That's the amount of protein you should consume to preserve muscle mass.

Set your carbs to 20g/day or less (that's the approach I take).

Let fat make up the rest and use satiety as an indicator of consumption.

If you are stalled, you may want to try cutting calories a bit. To do this, you'd typically dial back your fat, as this will reduce your calories. But if you are already at the protein level you need to be to preserve muscle mass, you shouldn't have much room to dial back there. And carbs...if you have an upper limit of 20, there's not a lot to reduce there.

On the flip side, many people wind up overconsuming protein on keto. Overconsumption in this case means, "eating more than is necessary to preserve muscle mass". The result of this is that excess protein adds calories (may or may not be significant) and gets converted into glucose in the liver via gluconeogenesis (may cause high blood glucose, insulin response, etc...). This can stall people out/slow weight loss/prevent "nutritional ketosis", etc...

Most of all, hang in there... stalls suck.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote