View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Grace
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I make (and freeze) chili rellenos with ranchero sauce when I'm lucky enough to snag a bunch of poblanos at a good price. Here's what I do:

1. Prepare the chilies by washing, drying and broiling in the oven until charred (or over an open flame if you have a gas stove).
2. Put them into a covered dish until cool.
3. Peel and remove stem and seeds trying not to tear the peppers too much.
4. Place a slice of cheese about 1/4" thick (I use the Mexican white cheeses - chihuahua or quesadilla) inside and close as best you can. There may be some tears but it really won't affect the outcome.
4. Place chilies single layer deep in an oven proof dish and cover with ranchero sauce (recipe follows for the best I've come across and I've tried many!) and sprinkle with grated cheese.
5. Bake 30-45 minutes.

I also prepare them through step 4 and individually wrap each relleno in plastic wrap and foil and keep them in the freezer until ready to use. That way I can pull out one or two at a time and either make up a small recipe of ranchero sauce or use left-over refrigerated or frozen sauce.

Ranchero Sauce

2 poblano peppers, blackened,seeded, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno, blackened,seeded, peeled and chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon cumin, toasted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 lime, juice of

1. Toast cumin in saucepan until it begins to smoke
2. Add oil, onions and garlic
3. Saute 2 minutes
4. Add rest of ingredients except lime juice and simmer 10-15 minutes.
5. Pulse in blender to desired consistency.
6. Squeeze lime juice and pulse again.
7. Refrigerate for up to a month.

I also char, peel, de-stem and de-seed them, wrap each individually in plastic wrap and freeze them in zip-locks ready to pull out and use for any recipe calling for poblanos or canned green chilies. They take up very little room in the freezer done this way.

Last edited by Grace; 11-30-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote