View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
myyellowstang
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I drink plenty of water, usually over 100 ounces of plain water plus other liquids too. I have always been a huge water drinker. I don't understand the fiber stuff. I guess I better do some research.
The way fiber works is it stays in your colon to move the waste out. If we absorbed it into our body, it wouldn't really help us at all because it would no longer be in our colon. Soluble fiber breaks down in water (think metamucil that you stir into things and drink). That kind attracts water to keep it in your colon, where your stool absorbs it and becomes softer - and thus easier to move out. Insoluble fiber (think Fiber One or whole grains, etc) just acts as a filler in your colon, bulking your stool up so that the walls have something more substantial to grab and push along during peristalsis.

100 oz of water is great, but if that is your everyday amount, and you are still constipated - AND you are increasing your fiber - then you need to increase your water intake too. If you increase your fiber without increasing your water you could just exacerbate your constipation. Water moves stool. If yours isn't moving - you need more water. You might think you drink plenty, and ordinarily that would be plenty, but if you are constipated at 100 oz then you don't have enough water in your colon - and it really isn't plenty enough. The more active you are, the more water your cells use, the less you have in your colon. Hence constipation. The more you weigh, the more water your cells use and the less you have in your colon. A good rule of thumb is to START at half your body weight in ounces of water and increase based on activity after that.

You could also increase your fat intake (think avocados, not buttercream ) which make stool softer and easier to move as well.