View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!
Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 248/244.8/240
WOE: Fung-ian fasting and lower carb (I am T2 diabetic)
Start Date: Every day is a new start
I totally get where you're coming from. I lived in Italy for years, and my father is from Italy and is a phenomenal cook. I grew up eating pasta almost daily, and bread. I completely understand the cultural pressure you're feeling, because I know that my Italian relatives would think I was completely insane if I didn't eat the pasta. Plus, they would feel personally insulted if it was something they cooked.

Because of my diabetes, though, I HAD to stop eating these things, or face high blood sugar and diabetic complications. That fear has so far overridden everything else. I really thought I wouldn't be able to give up the pasta and rice and bread, but I have, and honest-to-God don't miss them. It took a while, and I had to detox my body from its carb addiction, but it happened eventually.

At restaurants, you'll have to just pass up the Primi and jump right to the Secondi.

I would eat a huge plate of mozzarella and prosciutto and call it a day! Or a nice caprese; tomatoes are OK in not-huge quantities.

Vilya - dog trainer and uber-geek.
Highest-ever weight was 285.
I've been as low as 185, but not recently! It's 2018 now, one foot in front of the other...
My journal:
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote