View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
KCSoccer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
I don't like eggnog very much, except for the rum , but DH and the rest of the family like it. Some of the family have a fear of raw eggs (not me), so I've been making this cooked custard eggnog for many years (from an old Martha Stewart magazine). This year, I'm going to make it Low Carb. Here's the original recipe (with my suggestions for lower carb):

3 1/2 cups whole milk (Heavy cream and water or TJ's coconut milk beverage)
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar (equivalent SF sweetener, probably Ideal)
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup rum, dark or spiced (optional for some, it's the only way I'll drink eggnog!)
whole nutmeg, for grating (tastes way better than the pre-grated stuff)

In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups cream/water mixture until steaming (this can be heated in a microwavable measuring cup). Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar sub on medium-high speed until very thick and pale, 3 to 5 minutes.

Prepare a large ice bath; set aside. Whisk half the heated cream mixture into egg yolk mixture, then return it to saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 160F).

Remove from heat, and immediately stir in heavy cream. Pass mixture through a sieve into a medium bowl; set in the ice bath until chilled, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining cream/water mixture, vanilla, and rum. Divide eggnog among serving glasses or cups. Grate nutmeg over tops before serving.

*Note: you can make this without the rum, then just add a shot of rum to each glass for those that want it

Last edited by KCSoccer; 12-20-2012 at 04:45 PM..
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote