View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Trillex
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
My Christmas dessert this year will be a low-carb Eggnog Creme Brulee. I won't actually make the classic brulee topping, though, I'll broil a thin layer of spiced pecans as the topping.

Here is the recipe, in case you're interested:

- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup pecans ground to a coarse grain in food processor, with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon xylitol

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.

Stir together to combine 1 cup of the cream with xylitol, salt, vanilla extract, rum extract, and nutmeg in a sauce pan. Bring this mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the xylitol and flavoring. Remove sauce pan from heat and let the mixture sit for 15-20 minutes, to lower its temperature and mingle the flavors.

When the cream has cooled a bit, stir in the remaining 1 cup of cream. Whisk the 6 egg yolks in a large mixing bowl until they are creamy and smooth. Gradually whisk the cream mixture into the yolks, until the custard is creamy, evenly colored, and fully combined.

If you prefer a consistently silky creme brulee texture, strain the custard mixture through a fine mesh to remove any milk solids. If you don't mind a more bijoux texture, don't strain the custard.

Evenly divide the custard mixture into 4 half-cup ramekins. Place the 4 half-cup ramekins into a roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan, around the ramekins, so that the water rises to between 2/3 and 3/4 of the height of the ramekins. BE CAREFUL TO NOT SPLASH ANY WATER INTO THE RAMEKINS.

Bake for about 1/2 hour -- give or take 5 minutes. Until the centers of the custards are set -- not wet and/or sloppy. If you use a baking thermometer, the center temperature should read 170-175 degrees.

Let the ramekins cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Then tightly cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. It's usually best to refrigerate them overnight.

Before serving, remove the plastic wrap and evenly divide the pecan mixture so that the top of each creme brulee is completely covered.

If you have a creme brulee torch, blaze the top of each dish until the pecan mixture becomes toasty and releases a fragrant smell.

If you do not have a creme brulee torch, pre-heat the broiler, place the ramekins on a baking sheet, place the dishes under the broiler, and broil for 2-5 minutes until the pecan mixture becomes toasty and releases a fragrant smell.

Serve the dish whenever you're ready for dessert!

I made a *similar* dessert for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a low-carb cheesecake, but I baked them in individual half-cup ramekins and made the pecan topping. Here is a photo, so that you may see what it will look like when done:

Cheers!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote