View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
jmc305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I feel like I've tried them all...coconut flour, flax, almond meal, even chia seeds. Nothing out there will make you forget about a boxed brownie mix. I think one of the secrets is you have to use a sugar alcohol that will mimic sugar like Xylitol. Splenda and stevia just won't do it. You need those SA's to help create the famed texture we all dream of.

The best one I've come across is an HCG P3 one that I found on YouTube. I made them tonight, and they are cooling on my counter right now. It's the main reason I bumped this thread. It has no flour, but uses almond butter (I subbed peanut butter because that's what I had). I used Xylitol and a little bit of EZ sweetz to increase the sweetness.

The batter is very thick and looks exactly like the real thing. If you taste some of the batter, it has the crunch of the real thing due to the grit of the Xylitol, which is a good thing. They look exactly like the real thing, very eye-catching. They are chocolatey, and sweet as long as you get the sweetener right. I would compare the texture to one of those brownies that you get in a TV dinner. Kind of chewy on top and around the edges, and a little more fluffy (but NOT cakelike) in the middle. It also reminds me a bit of "No Pudge" low fat boxed brownie mix if you are familiar with that. I don't know what they taste like at room temp or out of the fridge, but UNLIKE ALMOST ALL low carb baked goods, they taste good right out of the oven. No waiting a day for them to "magically" turn into something good like other recipes I've come across. Anyway that's my thoughts. Congrats if you made it to the end of my rambling.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote