Thread: LC Wasa Cracker
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Beeb
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: OMG, SERIOUSLY?!
WOE: Eating healthy, eating LC, and portion control
Start Date: The Day Low Carb Became a WOE and NOT A DIET!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
QUICK CRISPBREAD CRACKER

This recipe began as the brainchild of Soobee of Lowcarbfriends and was tweaked by Beeb of LCF’s and then tweaked by yours truly to make it with less fiber so that fiber-sensitive folks can safely enjoy it every day if they want to do so. The crunch and having a medium on which to spread butter and crunchy peanut butter and low-carb fruit preserves makes this an awesome diet helper! Tastes real carby, has more flavor and is crispier than crispbreads – no kidding!!

1 egg white from large egg
1/3 cup ground almonds (75 mL)
2 tbsp golden flax meal (25 mL)
1 tbsp wheat bran, OR flax meal (15 mL)
1 tbsp water (15 mL)
1 SPLENDA® packet

Into two cereal bowls, separate egg yolk and egg white respectively. Save egg yolk for adding to eggs for scrambled eggs or an omelet. Beat egg white with fork until slightly frothy. In third cereal bowl, combine ground almonds, flax meal, wheat bran and SPLENDA®. Stir in egg white and water until nicely moist throughout. Spray regular dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray. I usually spray the inside circle, however, it is possible to make a thinner crispbread and spread it further. Make sure the dinner plate is liberally greased. Spread mixture with the back of a fork. The tines of the fork make appealing ridges that taste oh-so-crunchy due to enhancing the texture. Nuke in microwave oven 3 minutes, flip crispbread cracker and nuke another minute or minute-and-a-half until beginning to turn brown in spots. When cool enough to touch, break or use a scissors to cut it.

Nutritional Analysis: 1 serving, 4 crispbread crackers
249.3 calories; 10.2 g protein; 20.5 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Helpful Hints: This is the basic recipe; however, one could add spices and/or Parmesan cheese for a different-tasting crispbread. Using flax meal instead of the wheat bran makes this a gluten-free crispbread cracker. To further reduce fiber: replace 1 tbsp of either golden flax meal or wheat bran with 2 tbsp (25 mL) ground almonds. It is possible to replace all the fiber with ground almonds this way (1 tbsp shy of 3/4 cup (175 mL) ground almonds and no added fiber). I can’t say enough about how much I like this recipe and also the original but the fiber is a bit much for me to have every day. Tell me I'm not the only one who likes this.

Thanks again, Soobee and Beeb - fun recipe!
Thanks Jennifer! I am amazed that by just adding the 1/3 cup almond meal it upped the calories from 103 calories for the full dinner plate size cracker to 246 calories for the same size! For those of us watching our caloric intake that would not be a good snack option using the almond meal, I guess.

It's a great idea for those who need to down their fiber intake, though! And I'm thinking that if you make this a spice/savory cracker leaving out the sweetener would be a better idea as one poster suggested. Just add water to get the moisture you need in the recipe instead of how Soobee and I added DeVinci's SF Syrup.

LOVED the write up you did, Jennifer!! I feel like a STAR!!

Last edited by Beeb; 05-12-2010 at 07:45 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote