View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member
Gallery: scarlet_aes
Tips for using coconut flour

I too was looking for recipes for coconut flour tortillas. Unfortunately haven't found any so I am going to experiment. In the meantime, if you've experimented making tortillas let me know.

I got this information from

Adding Coconut Flour to Your Favorite Recipe:
Because Coconut flour does not contain any gluten, it will fall apart if you substitute it 100% for another flour in a wheat based recipe. You can, however, substitute up to 25% (15-20% is best) of that flour with coconut flour. In addition, whatever amount of coconut flour you use, you need to increase the liquid in your recipe by that same measure. So, for example, if your recipe calls for 2 cups of wheat flour, you could use 1 cups of wheat flour, cup of coconut flour, and cup of additional liquid such as milk, water, or juice. This will greatly increase the fiber content of that food.

Using 100% Coconut Flour:
As a rule, you need to add approximately 6 eggs for every cup of coconut flour you use in your recipe and will need to increase liquids because the fiber greatly absorbs liquid. Eggs will take the place of the gluten found in wheat, and help the fiber to stick together.

Other people who want to increase their fiber intake, but do not want to bake or make anything, add coconut flour to smoothies. Coconut flour is more palatable in smoothies than any other fiber, even though it supplies significantly more roughage than any other source.
scarlet_aes is offline   Reply With Quote