View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Gadget Gal
Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Char's Green Tomato Chow Chow

This is my favorite end-of-the-tomato-crop recipe! Fpr those who requested it in the Garden thread!

Char's Chow Chow

10 green tomatoes
4 red tomatoes
4 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers
4 medium onions
8 stalks celery
1 med. head green cabbage
1 1" piece fresh ginger, minced
3 cups cider vinegar
3 cups Splenda
1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon mace
1/4 cup pickling salt

Chop all the veggies up fairly fine (I got smart today and used my food processor in "pulse" mode!) and put them into a 10 quart stockpot. Add the vinegar and the rest of the ingredients. Stir well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, then let simmer about an hour. Let cool, then package however you want...I put it into those "disposable" Glad plastic storage containers or vacuum seal in Mason jars with my FoodSaver. I refrigerate mine, but I'm sure it would freeze well, or if you're so inclined, you could can it. This batch made about 20 cups. It was a little more "liquidy" than I wanted it so I used a measuring cup to dip out some of the liquid, probably about 2 cups worth.

It's really good stuff, especially with meatloaf or barbecued pulled pork or ham or...well you get the idea.

The original recipe called only for the green tomatoes, but I had so many ripe ones that I just decided to throw some of those in there too! It's pretty forgiving so use what you have.

You could reduce the carbs by using a liquid version of Splenda or the quickpacks. As the recipe is written, there are 24 grams of carbs PER CUP of granular Splenda. I made this recipe up while doing WW so the carbs weren't an issue, this year I'll certainly use liquid Splenda though.

I haven't run this through MasterCook so if someone is so inclined, then thanks in advance! The serving size would be maybe 2 tablespoons....

It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote