View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #18
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Linda Sue, that's very odd about the Kroger's butter. It's doubtful that it would have off-flavors, or no one would buy is. It's probably just fine, but I look for the AA stamp.

As for the Aldi's butter, I know what you mean. I have bought it, too, and observed the liquid nature firsthand. The grade doesn't dictate anything about the water content in the finished butter. It only has to do with the sensory quality of the cream used to produce it.

Butter sold commercially in the US contains butterfat that ranges from 86%, all the way down to a low of 80%. Your premium butters will be on the higher side, and the cheaper ones have more liquid, which is the phenomenon of which you've just seen a rather striking visual demonstration.

As I noted in an earlier post, unsalted butter contains a minuscule amount more product, which is 0.05%. So switching from salted to unsalted will only help a little, not enough to make a discernible difference.

No way around it, though. To find a butter with the absolute minimum of water and maximum of product, buy a premium butter, unsalted. Like with so many other things, with butter you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps answer the question.

Last edited by Baricat; 08-17-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote