View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
martha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
The only thoughts I have to offer on the subject are these two: First, like others have said, it can take a long time for results to show up on the scale. Something as simple as taking an NSAID for a couple of days during hot weather blimped me up a couple of pounds. Upping my exercise often leads to a bump up. And it took two solid weeks for ANYTHING to show on the scale when I got started, and then I got a grand total of a pound. Second, I think that for some of us, it's a sad mistake to think that as long as your "ratios" are right you can eat whatever you want. I have always counted calories (and calories-burned) along with macronutrients (carbs, proteins) and my weight loss has charted almost exactly what the caloric balance predicted. I'm not dismissing the metabolic aspect, because I have never, ever been able to lose weight at this rate and this consistently over time. But I've never gone five months without a single binge or even a seriously off-program day before, either, and I'm sure that's because I am so satisfied and so free of cravings. And my expectation coming into this was that I would have to have about 300 calories a day more than it turns out I have actually eaten.

While I'm on the topic, I read Gary Taubes's book and admired his research on the history of mainstream dietetics very much. He's a smart guy. But I am not convinced that even he really believes that calories are irrelevant. He has worked in journalism for a long time, and I think he has deliberately exaggerated his position because that's how you get on the air, that's how you get press, and that's what excites readers: an extreme, contrarian position with a sound bite message. But if you read his earlier work you will probably notice that he doesn't usually get up on such a soapbox. I think it was just a business decision.

Last edited by martha; 07-29-2013 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: typo
martha is offline   Reply With Quote