View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
DD80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Gout is due to a build up of uric acid in the joints - usually the big toe or the thumb. It is said that a diet high in red meat and some fish can cause it to be worse. Also, alcohol can be a contributing factor.

I wanted to just caution against supplements with arginine in them. I don't have gout, but was taking this amino acid (and not high doses either), and it caused me to have a lot of pain in my big toes/thumbs and a herpes on my lip. Come to find out, it will cause a gout flair (I have arthritis in my toes) and it stimulates the herpes virus - so it can cause shingles and mono to reactivate. I made myself very sick and definitely had the mono reactivated (was super tired and achey).

Foods that are high in arginine are: red meat, seafood, eggs, nuts, spinach, lentils, soy, and whole grains. So, a low carb diet will provide more than enough of this amino acid - and could lead to more incidences of gout, IMHO. In my experience though, I find I'm ok with these things in my diet. It was the extra supplementation that caused the problem.