View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
theredhead
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/158/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
My heart hurts for you! I can really relate to your situation because I've experienced it, too.

Like you, I've had patches of eczema that come and go for years and don't seem to relate to anything else. I'm a long-time low-carber who has had very strict, long periods of being wheat-free and dairy-free, with no improvement in my eczema symptoms. Sometimes it goes away for awhile and I can't find any kind of correlation.

Last year, I was suffering from a terrible outbreak on my face, especially on my eyelids. It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life, and I wanted to hide all the time. My eyes continually itched and watered and I would have to resort to holding ice cubes on them to get any relief. They swelled so much, I looked like a cat some mornings, and my eyelids wrinkled up so much, I looked like an old woman. This went on for almost a year.

In that year, I researched incessantly. I was also having a pretty bad outbreak on my hands, but that's something I've lived with for many years anyway. The back of my neck was also very, very itchy, and my legs have been breaking out every winter for the past six years.

Like you, I know that doctors are helpless. They don't have a clue how to deal with this because there's really no known treatment that will help everyone, although I'm sure some people are helped by some treatments. It's caused by a defective gene. It's also the gene that carries hay fever and asthma. My whole family suffers from hay fever, and I have a brother with severe asthma. My daughter struggles with eczema on her hand, too.

I've come to the conclusion, that for me, my diet doesn't affect my eczema at all. I also don't feel that stress is a factor for ME, but my daughter thinks it affects her. I think it's very individual. But for sure, it's NOT IN YOUR HEAD!

Last winter, I tried soaking in Dead Sea Salt baths, dabbing with hydrogen peroxide, dabbing with apple cider vinegar, Cerave lotion (which is an excellent moisturizer), and finally, in desperation, this red-headed fair-skinned girl spent some time in a tanning booth. I'd read that many people experience healing when they spend their vacation at a beach in the sun and salt water. Unfortunately, it didn't help me.

I should also mention that although coconut oil and fish oil consumption are great for keeping your skin hydrated from the inside out, it didn't help me. I've been taking Krill Oil and using coconut oil internally and externally for years. My immune system is amazing. I haven't been sick more than one or two times (a mild cold) in the last 10 years! I take 5000 IUs of Vitamin D daily and my test shows my level to be excellent. I think that's really, really important, but it didn't seem to have anything to do with my eczema.

Now, the good news. In my research, I ran across references to a cream called Mario Badescu Control Cream. Some people said it cleared up the eczema around their eyes. It was my MIRACLE! I got it on a Wednesday afternoon, applied it before bed, and woke up less swollen and itchy the next day. My skin peeled all that day, and by Friday morning, my face looked almost normal! I've not had a break-out since then (April). I couldn't believe I'd finally found something that worked for ME! I bought it at ULTA in their salon area for $30. I'm told you can also get it at Nordstrom's.

Now, all that being said, I was disappointed that it didn't help the eczema on my hands, neck, or legs. My hands continued to be a constant source of misery, itching, oozing, crusting, and bleeding. In the past, I've used a prescription steroid cream called Lidex. My doctor described it as the "granddaddy of all the steroid creams". I know that I don't want to use it much because of the skin thinning effects, but I've come to realize that if I don't use it for a long time, when I use it again, it works pretty well. Also, I had been using a tube I'd had that was beyond it's expiration date, and now that I have a new tube, I think the old one was just too old to be effective. So now, I've experienced good healing on my hands and they're almost clear. I used the Lidex only for about a week, and I won't use it again unless I get desperate. It just doesn't seem to work if I use it frequently.

As for my legs, they cleared up over the summer and haven't bothered me. However, with cold weather coming, I'm bracing for the itching to start. I'm trying something new this year. My doctor had told me to use Cetaphil lotion way back years ago. I've tried so many potions and lotions, I really don't remember if I'd tried that particular one before. Nothing I used ever seemed to help. Recently, I read a post on the Pioneer Woman's blog about using it to shave with, and many people said it kept the winter itch away on their legs. I've already started slathering my legs in it after my shower, in an attempt to ward off the impending break-out. We'll see how it goes.

I can't tell you how sympathetic I am to your plight. I hope that something I've written will turn out to be helpful for you, although I'm convinced that everyone is different and what works for some won't work for others. Keep trying to find the answer!

I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll keep up updated.
DH has lost 90 pounds
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one

Last edited by theredhead; 10-25-2012 at 09:22 AM..
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote