reddarin
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I think she means that since you get most of your calories from fat there isn't a lot of volume, since fat is very calorific and a lot of is in liquid form. So you get very little volume in a 1000 calorie bullerproof coffee or a small piece of steak covered with cheese/coconut oil/whatever compared to the same amount of calories with more protein and vegetables.
Hmmm.

That 1000 calorie drink will keep you satisfied for a huge block of time if you really did drink that many calories. I drink about 800 calories with my coffee/HWC/CO concoction but my calorie goal is ~2300. If I were shooting for a lower calorie goal I'd reduce the HWC and CO to give me more room for solid food. Maybe. Once you are through the adaptation period the problem is not hunger, the problem is having no appetite and letting your calories fall too low.

A few weeks after I started NK I was eating 1500 calories a day with zero problem. For a 6 foot tall guy that weighed 205 pounds that is something, no? And that was keeping total carbs well under 50g a day. I think it was always lower than 30g total carbs a day. I was eating around 90g of protein a day too so I wasn't eating a big volume of food.

Anecdotally speaking, initial failure with NK is coming into it thinking that you have to eat very low calories. I think the adaptation period should be about eating to satiety without worrying about calories. Yup, you might gain some weight in that time period but once you are adapted you will be the master of your caloric intake. And the weight gain is not necessarily fat tissue either - if you have been following some sort of IF without eating enough protein you'll gain back some LBM that you've lost.

Of course, if you have a diagnosed thyroid issue or other health issue or take medicines of some sort that can/will have an impact on how NK works for you but it impacts everything about what you try to do - not just NK.

I understand what you are saying about the volume of food. Morpheus said it best:

Morpheus: I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall. Men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air. Yet their strength and their speed are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be.

Neo: What are you trying to tell me, that I can dodge food volume issues?

Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote