Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Here's another one

Frosting:

6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered erythritol OR powdered sugar
3 to 5 tablespoons heavy cream
teaspoon vanilla

For the icing, beat together butter and powdered erythritol or sugar. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
Ginaaaaaaaaa, I still haven't tried your recipe yet because I never figured out how to powder the erythritol. Yesterday I was in my kitchen scratching my head going, "Huh, I don't have a good blender, I don't have a coffee grinder...how do I get this granular E into a format I can put into an icing?

Well, what happened next was a kitchen nightmare, and I have no idea why this occurred (lol) goodness, maybe someone else knows...

So there I am with my newly purchased bottle of inulin (because I thought it would be a good base for an icing...LC Foods seems to use it this way)...anyway, I am standing there with my bowl of inulin, and my granular E. So I melt the E in a bit of boiling water and pour it into the inulin powder.

Oh. My. God. The smell that came out of this combination was just nauseating. It was just. So. Wrong. I will forevermore be afraid of combining hot liquids with inulin. I had to throw the whole batch of icing out, wasting probably $8 of my money. I should have just read this thread over again and purchased a coffee grinder. But I need one that I know is going to make a very find powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Inulin is used in a lot of products including fiber one bars...inulin causes major abdominal distress for me...just as bad or worse than malitol...but itt doesn't affect everyone that way....why not try the frosting and report back to us...Ii am an E girl myself.
Oh my goodness you are so right. I have had my first few experiences recently with inulin and the experience was, let's say...quite inflating!

Oh and the LC Foods, Inc frosting mixes are really not that great. I think inulin and other fibers as a base for frosting is just not a good way to go about the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
For chocolate buttercream, I make a very simple variation of Lauren's chocolate frosting. It takes about 1 minute to whip up. Here it is, with my modifications

1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup powdered erythritol (I use less, but most folks use more)
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
1 t to 1 T vanilla, depending on how much you love it. I adore it
1 T cream, optional
liquid stevia, optional

Cream the butter until fluffy. Beat in erythritol and cocoa and beat until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and optional cream. If you used unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt.

It seems that you should be able to leave out the cocoa and just increase the powdered erythritol, but I find that becomes far too sweet for my tastes. I've tried a number of modification, but my favorite white, non-cream cheese frosting is just plain old whipped cream, with a tiny touch of vanilla and a tiny bit of erythritol. You need to spread it just before serving, but everyone seems to love it.
Yes that sounds delightful. I came back to this thread because I discovered Truvia's buttercream frosting recipe by accident on their website, and it reminded me of this thread. I'm thinking that you guys are right: powdered E as the base is the way to go, not inulin.

I don't think I'm going to buy Truvia products though because I already have powdered stevia and granular erythritol, and so I'd just need to grind them up. And who knows what the "natural flavors" are that they add to the Truvia.

Now, what type of coffee grinder is going to make a very find powder? I've read some threads on here where people said their coffee grinder doesn't make a fine enough powder. What do I need to look for?

I can't believe I'm still on this quest to make a perfect buttercream low-carb frosting. Months later. Haha. Wow.

Last edited by Seeking; 07-29-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote