Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Ginaaaaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: Moderate carbs, whole foods
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I took a look at that recipe and it looks promising; I do not like the effect of egg whites in icing though so I won't be doing that part.

I have a question about this. I have been reading that powered erythritol will crystallize during baking/cooking, and this concerns me. I will not eat crystallized sugar. Does Xylitol do this too? How can I prevent the X or the E from crystallizing in an icing recipe?

I have done some more reading about the E and I will consider it; I do not want to taste a minty flavor though.

This sounds delightful; do you know whether the E will crystallize though? This is a huge concern. I have read that it's very hard to prevent the E from crystallizing.
---------------------------------------------------

On another note, is there anything else besides a sugar or sugar substitute that I can use as a powder base? Would a milk powder with some added sweetener work? I don't want to be ingesting large amounts of the X or the E; I'm scared of them. Plus, they are very expensive.

Thanks guys for your help!

You might like this frosting from Jennifer that uses powdered milk

Betty Crocker-like Frosting:
(The low-carb pancake syrup, such as Estee, Maple-Flavored Pancake Syrup, has thickeners in it and it makes this frosting a thicker mixture)

1/2 cup Splenda Granular (125 mL)
4 tbsp powdered erythritol (50 mL)
4 tbsp whole milk powder* (50 mL)
1 tsp cornstarch (optional) (5 mL)
2 tbsp low-carb syrup (25 mL)
3 tbsp butter, melted (45 mL)

In blender, combine Splenda Granular, powdered erythritol, whole milk powder and cornstarch (if using). Add sugar free syrup and butter; blend until well combined. If the frosting is not thick enough, then use a tiny amount of Xanthan gum.

I do know that erythritol does crystallize, I think using powdered E does help prevent it from doing that and keeping it out of the fridge will prevent it from crystallizing.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote