View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
panabax
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: panabax
Stats: 320/205/175
WOE: NK
Start Date: 11/16/2012
When you strict carbs, your body tends to stop retaining water. Also, as you deplete muscle glycogen, you also lose more water weight because glycogen is bound with water. The weight loss is real and expected but will not continue at that rate. It is mostly lost water.

It takes 3500 kcal to burn 1 lb of fat. Stated differently, 1 lb of fat will fuel 3500 kcal worth of activity. Unfortunately, that is thermodynamics. It is a law of nature and it applies to the fat in our bodies. Putting aside the question of a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, once the calorie is stored as fat in our bodies, the only way to get it out is to metabolize it and each lb is worth 3500kcal of work.

In order to lose 5 lbs of fat in 4 days you would have to be in a 4375 calorie per day deficit. Of course, you are not in that kind of deficit which would require serious aerobic exercise (like running 20 miles every day) while water fasting. So, you will not lose 5 lbs every 4 days. However, with some diligence two lbs per week is doable (1000 kcal daily deficit) and 1 lb per week is very doable (500 kcal daily deficit).

I lost 135 lbs, but not on NK. I lost it through good old calorie reduction eating good quantities of complex carbs, protein and fat. Probably 60% of my calories were from complex carbs. However, I maintained a daily deficit of between 500 and 1000 calories per day and I totally stopped eating refined sugar, recreational sweets or any wheat products. As a result, I think my insulin levels were low and the weight came off slow and steady.

Now I am about 30 lbs from my goal weight and I have become an avid runner/triathlete. I have had no success getting the last 30 off eating high carbs. I read Phinney's performance book and so now I am on the NK bandwagon. I am scheduled to run a marathon next weekend, so that will be very interesting since resisting carbs pretty much goes against all of the prevailing endurance sports logic. However, even while running, I now find my hunger and food preoccupation much lower than it has been. I have always believed that the main reason people have success on LC diets is because they consume fewer calories. I still believe that. I think there is something about the carbs that throw the whole closed loop hunger/fuel/satiety feedback loop into chaos. I am starting to think that Phinney may be right. Our engines may have been designed to run primarily on fat with glucose intended only as a backup fuel source. It would make sense from an engineering standpoint since our fat fuel tank on super lean athletes (10% BF) holds 50,000-75,000 kcal of fat and, at most our carb fuel tank holds 1400-2000 kcal of glycogen.

Last edited by panabax; 11-30-2012 at 10:31 AM..
panabax is offline   Reply With Quote