Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Recommended Reading
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
Read "Grain Brain"

I hear lots of books mentioned here, and one I found by accident was Grain Brain. It's very akin to Wheat Belly, which I have heard of much more on these threads.

To me, the message of both authors is similar, but approach things from their different points of view as medical professionals. (Author of Grain Brain is a neurologist.)They are both in favor of eliminating gluten and high carbohydrate foods. I would say the author of Grain Brain, however, is more intellectual (perhaps drier but still ok) in his writing than the author of Wheat Belly. But....he made a more striking impact on me personally because although I want to live longer, I also want those years to be quality years.

How gluten and high sugar affect the brain was striking, including the "grandaddy of all the most feared brain diseases - Alzheimer's". If any of you are interested in remaining on this planet for a long time, but also in good mental health with all of your faculties intact, give this book a try. I read it in 3 days because I was so captivated by it.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hey spaceace, I 'very read them both too. Really liked Grain Brian. My Dad had dementia, so I could see a lot of correlation. I agree with you, I want to live well. Not just live. I wanna be like some of the older people I see, still active, functioning and well, healthy!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I feel the same way about the two books. I want good health for my body of course, but dementia scares the beejeezus out of me and is more of a motivator to eat right.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
I read both books back to back - it was a good week!

And while I want to live long, healthy, and alert -- I don't want to put my children through taking care of me in my old age. It's one thing if I don't know better -- but now I do. I hope that makes sense.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I agree, both are great reads. But yep Gina, after watching what my Dad went through. No food in the world is worth that. That and my Mom being diabetic, it's pretty much sealed the deal for me!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I enjoyed Grain Brain so much I read it twice. What a motivator! I read it quickly the first time and did not want to put it down. It helped that he included true life patient experiences. I am not 100% gluten free but am getting there just by virtue of eating low carb.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
We LOVE Dr. Perlmutter! We are committed to be grain-free (except when there is guacamole, you must at least taste it with a corn chip, sorry).
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
"Grain Brain", I would say, was the final catalyst that got my rear in gear to wake up and see what I was WILLINGLY doing to my body. I haven't even read the whole thing yet to this day, but it just made so much sense to what I already knew and hit home as to what I didn't want to happen to myself if I could prevent it. My mom has dementia and my grandmothers died very young. So who knows if they would have developed dementia; but, in any event, I figured if I wasn't to also die young, I would have to stop pretending I wasn't putting my body through so much abuse.

As what others have said, it has been .. and remains .. a GREAT motivator.