Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Recommended Reading
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Calling Shenanigans on new Deepak Chopra Diet Book

Google "Diet Books of 2014: 'What Are You Hungry For?' Disappoints Me", and you'll find a review on the Refuse to Regain blog of "What Are You Hungry For", by frequent Dr. Oz guest Deepak Chopra. Barbara Berkeley's critique of his food choices won't be news to anybody here, but I was delighted to see her dissection of the idea that thin people are more spiritually enlightened. Especially living as I do in Ecotopia (the Pacific NW), where New Age thinking is thick on the ground.
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2004
Thanks for the post. I was wondering about this book because I've recently completed a Chopra course in meditation. I will check out that blog.
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Very interesting review. This stood out for me:

"... Almost everyone believes that they are overweight because of an emotional failing. When we give them real skills to battle their problem, they find out that they actually had more of a physical and neurochemical problem[emphasis mine]..." -Dr. Barbara Berkeley, in her review of 'What Are You Hungry For?' by Deepak Chopra.

When I first went low-carb, I was amazed how my attitude toward food and hunger changed. I no longer thought about food 90% of the time. I wasn't mentally or emotionally defective after all, I was just over-carbohydrated.

I am now more attuned to how carbohydrates work in my body, and can tell when they are affecting my mood, even a little.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I have read a number of Deepak's books. He is beyond prolific.
I think like many, he believes that if we are spiritually fit, then everything else will fall into place. I can accept this to a point. I do believe that we are often led astray in life by ego and inner conflicts of our own creation. That being said, there are also purely physiological responses that happen regardless of ones proximity to enlightenment.
The carb/insulin response is one of them. I was amazed at how my appetite decreased when I went LC....I was told it would happen because I wasn't getting the sugar injection leading to elevated insulin secretion..creating blood sugar depletion...causing hunger cycle.
I followed the 'recommended' low fat high "healthy" carb diet for years and wondered why I couldn't lose weight. I truly thought that there must be something wrong with my character or will power. Then I read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis and saw how those "healthy" whole grains were spiking my insulin and causing hunger and inflammation. It's hard for me not to go overboard in describing how my life changed when I eliminated grains and went lc. My weight loss was immediated and rapid, and my chronic knee pain was gone in a week...ONE WEEK!
I dropped 50 pounds in about a year. And have been on maintenance for about 7 months. I added some carbs back into my diet...mostly in the form of greens, berries, and nuts. As a result I have gained back about 4 pounds. But my goal weight was pretty low so these 4 pounds are acceptable....The best part is that when I see I'm creeping up a little too far, I know exactly what i need to do to quickly drop that extra pound or two.
I feel great, look great, and am no longer obsessed about my weight and appearance.
God bless us everyone!